Thread: RCBS Matchmaster

RCBS Matchmaster

Do want, but that price....

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-98941-Ma.../dp/B07WYZK242

The RCBS MatchMaster Powder Dispenser takes powder dispensing and weighing to the next level. Utilizing Patent Pending dual tube dispense technology most charges can be thrown in under 20 seconds to 0.10 grain accuracy. Pharmaceutical grade scale components enables .04 grain accuracy for the ultimate in precision.

.04 Grain Accuracy in Match Mode
    Dispenses in under 20 seconds in Standard Mode
    User adjustable powder dispensing settings allows for fine tuning to reduce dispense times in match mode.
    A tuned MatchMaster can dispense 38.5gr of H4350 in under 7 seconds in Match Mode
    Improved quick-drain feature utilizes a flexible tube to drain powder from the bottom of the 1lb hopper, enabling fast changes from one powder to another.
    Match mode throws a maximum charge of 300 grains; Standard mode can achieve a max charge of 1000 grains
    Bluetooth app increases functionality:

Control up to 8 units simultaneously
    Pre-configured powder profiles for easy setup
    Save details about specific loads including photos of group sizes, velocites, etc
    One MatchMaster in Match Mode can dispense charges at the same speed as TWO ChargeMasters.

One MatchMaster in Standard Mode can dispense charges at the same speed as THREE ChargeMasters.
    #RESIST

I wouldn't be without my Chargemaster or an equivalent, but this is a bit much. Even loading .338WM, it doesn't seem like I'm waiting long for powder dumps.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    And I thought the ones in the $200-$400 range were expensive.

Serious question: What is the benefit of these devices?
    The Matchmaster claims 20sec to deliver a measured load. I haven't timed it, but I don't think I'm much slower than that to dump a coarse load with my bench-mounted measure, then trickle up to the exact load I want. What am I missing in terms of the benefit?

Chris

I don't know. I don't think they could eclipse the accuracy of custom lab scale + autotrickler setups, and they're not terribly far away from that price point. FWIW, I found that the Chargemaster represented a great balance of price and performance. At least as accurate as I could manage hand-trickling, and fast enough to dispense as fast as I can seat bullets (at least up to 40-ish grains).

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbker
    The Matchmaster claims 20sec to deliver a measured load. I haven't timed it, but I don't think I'm much slower than that to dump a coarse load with my bench-mounted measure, then trickle up to the exact load I want. What am I missing in terms of the benefit?
    I'll start by discussing the Chargemaster, which I have a bunch of experience with:

Effort and speed. For starters, you don't have to sit there and hold the pan to drop a charge, and then set it down, weigh it, and trickle up. You're just pushing a button and letting the machine do all that. You're also loading significantly faster because you seat the bullet for one cartridge while the dispenser is preparing your next charge. Literally, the charge+seat portion of your loading process is done twice as quickly with half the effort. The other benefit to a Chargemaster is that the Chargemaster's scale is very good compared to most digital scales folks use.

For those reasons, I think that spending the money to go with a Chargemaster over a manual dispense+trickle+scale setup is very easy to justify. And I personally think that the Chargemaster easily justifies its price premium over less-expensive options from Hornady and others.

The $900 Matchmaster, on the other hand, is a little more difficult to choke down. That's a ton of money. I think they're going about it the wrong way by talking about the speed of the unit. Value-wise, the accuracy and quality of the scale is what's impressive about the Matchmaster. Getting sub-.1gr accuracy is a big deal, and packaging that with autotrickling functionality (which will cost you $500 to add to your $1k lab scale) is quite interesting.

Personally, the Chargemaster is everything I need and more, and I'd happily recommend it to anyone. I don't think one would be stupid for dropping the coin on a Matchmaster, but it's definitely a lot of money for maybe more capability than most handloaders need.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    And I thought the ones in the $200-$400 range were expensive.

Serious question: What is the benefit of these devices?

Chris
    Trickling powder and hand crank trimmers made me want to kill myself. My life is worth the $300-350 I spent on a Chargemaster, but not the $800 of the new one. While the machine dumps powder, I'm seating bullets, or in the case of shot shells, loading wads, shot, and crimping.

If you're more patient than I am, carry on with what you've got.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List