Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Government length 9mm vs Commander length 9mm

Government length 9mm vs Commander length 9mm

Which would you choose and why? Particularly of the 9mm variety.

Site Supporter
    I have owned and shot the various 1911's for over 50 years including those in 9mm. I say the choice should also include steel frame vs aluminum. For a carry pistol, the shorter aluminum Commander style ranks 1st. It is lighter and slightly more compact. If you choose a steel frame model, I recommend full size. The shorter version gives up 3/4 inch of sight radius and is not significantly lighter. If the pistol will remain at home, I suggest full size steel. Truth is you will like whatever you buy. I particularly like Ruger 1911 9mm lightweight Commander pistols. I have shot several. If you get one with problems, Ruger will fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    Which would you choose and why? Particularly of the 9mm variety.
    What is its purpose?
    Bob
    9MM: 92 Elite LTT, CenTac
    .45 ACP: Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Dan Wesson, Springfield, Colt
    Confederate Civil War reproductions: 1863 Richmond rifle, Spiller and Burr revolver

Based on my safe, clearly both. If it was my first 1911, it would be a .45. If it was my first 9mm bore 1911, it would be a LWC in super. If it was my first 9x19 1911, it would be a LWC.
    Ignore Alien Orders

For concealed carry, the Commander ("Lightweight Commander" in Internetspeak).
    (Although I have chickened out and gone plastic for carry, my Commander is largely retired.)

For competition, home defense, or "range gun" a full size pistol. A searchlight rail is a plus on the house gun.
    In 9mm a lightweight 5" is a handy, shootable gun that does not give up sight radius or balance. But the top USPSA competitors are going to ever heavier guns.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I am down to four 9x19 1911-pattern pistols. All are five-inch pistols. All are dedicated to gun games, hunting (9x19 for small game; swap in a 9x23 barrel and recoil spring assembly for deer), or range pistols. I do not believe that the 1911-pattern and self-defense/concealed carry is a viable combination based on my experience with dozens of pistols over twenty-five years. 9x19 OAL is too short for the 1911 magazine and magazines often go from reliable to duds with no warning.

I have two STI Trojan pistols that are used for informal USPSA and IDPA matches and a SVI single-stack that I use to shoot Bullseye. It replaced my Sams 9x19 because the SVI was more repeatable in my hands. I prefer the five-inch guns for sight radius and practical accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I do not believe that the 1911-pattern and self-defense/concealed carry is a viable combination based on my experience with dozens of pistols over twenty-five years.
    Could you please expand on that line of thought?
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

I believe @farscott might be referring primarily to 1911s in 9mm as viable defensive weapons. I'm of a split mind, but with the Sig P210 'Standard' available at <$1200 street price, I see little reason to futz with a 9mm 1911 of any length any more.

If you want a double-stack gun, then I'd say wait a minute for the DWX/DWX Compact to actually get here and see how it goes. I suspect it will be more reliable than any STI.

If selecting based on the choice provided in the OP - 9mm Commander, Light Weight, fed from Tripp magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    Could you please expand on that line of thought?
    In my experience, there are three major issues with 1911-pattern pistols and 9x19.

1) The round is too short (about 4 mm) for optimal feeding in the 1911. So we see spacers in magazines, the "Springfield ramp", and multiple iterations of magazines. We also see some guns that work with some magazines and not with others.

2) The taper of the 9x19 round makes it more likely for the top round in a loaded magazine to be tipped downward into the feed ramp, causing a failure to feed. Magazines also go from feeding with no issues to failing to feed the top round and failing to lock the slide back when empty with no warning.

3) 9x19 offers minimal recoil impulse to operate the 1911 action, causing people to use low spring rate recoil springs, causing slow and sluggish cycling and making the gun not run when dirty or when not optimally lubed.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    In my experience, there are three major issues with 1911-pattern pistols and 9x19.

1) The round is too short (about 4 mm) for optimal feeding in the 1911. So we see spacers in magazines, the "Springfield ramp", and multiple iterations of magazines. We also see some guns that work with some magazines and not with others.

2) The taper of the 9x19 round makes it more likely for the top round in a loaded magazine to be tipped downward into the feed ramp, causing a failure to feed. Magazines also go from feeding with no issues to failing to feed the top round and failing to lock the slide back when empty with no warning.

3) 9x19 offers minimal recoil impulse to operate the 1911 action, causing people to use low spring rate recoil springs, causing slow and sluggish cycling and making the gun not run when dirty or when not optimally lubed.
    Thanks for your reply! I stay with .45 ACP for traditional 1911's but the 9x23 and the .38 Super seem to run well and are in the range of about 4mm longer you mentioned. For 9mm 1911-esque guns I go to the EDC X9.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

User Tag List