Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Back pain related to duty belt

Back pain related to duty belt

For those of you who have dealt with back issues due to patrol work/gear, what did you find was the best treatment/change to mitigate or eliminate it?

Maybe this helps:

pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?32526-Reducing-weight-of-duty-gear-and-back-injurues

Or that:

pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?27945-Back-Defense-Systems-Back-Defender

I don't know the product from the second thread. When I was young, I had back pain. Some simple gymnastic exercises (physiotherapy) have helped me very much. The first thread contains tips in this direction.
    Last edited by P30; 08-02-2020 at 02:38 AM.

800mg Motrin and water. You’ll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    For those of you who have dealt with back issues due to patrol work/gear, what did you find was the best treatment/change to mitigate or eliminate it?
    Standing on the toes with my back, nape, and butt along the wall for 2 minutes every morning.
    Also, this mattress probably helped a bit.

According to my chiropractor chiropractor (legit, not a quack), try an inversion table. I’ve been close to buying one for months.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    When I was in uniform, I started out wearing a full duty belt, and a few years in I switched to an external vest with MOLLE, on which I mounted everything but the pistol and magazines. I wore that for a couple more years. I can’t say that the duty belt caused me back issues, but the vest was a lot more comfortable in its distribution of the weight.

There exist suspenders designed to shift weight from the hips and back to the shoulders, and which allow the duty belt to be worn a little looser.

Also, without knowing the specifics of your situation, I would note that many cops/security guards/duty belt wearers spend a lot of time seated, due to the nature of their jobs. This can lead to tightness in the hip flexors and a condition called anterior pelvic tilt. This forces an arch in the lower back, and it can be the source of pain there. Again, I don’t know if this applies to you, but doing mobility exercises to loosen the hips (and getting up to move around often, instead of being seated for hours at a time) can have a positive effect on the lower back.

Site Supporter
    I went through a year and a half of trying to get the right therapy routine for my lower back issues. I have an extremely sensitive SI joint on the right side.

I've found from a combination of therapy and my own research the following helped.

For immediate pain relief

Tens unit. These are cheap little devices that send small electrical impulses through tissue to stimulate blood flow.
    Lidocaine cream or lidocaine patches.
    KT Tape. A taping system can work wonders. For the back you might need help with this. Depends on how flexible you are.

For near term to long term relief you'll need to get on a stretching regimen. Much of lower back pain is associated to tightness in hip area, hamstrings, and loss of muscle endurance in abs.

I have a routine that I do for about 20-25 minutes a day. I'm not 100% better but I'm 85% and that's good enough because my back pain was bad enough I couldn't get out of bed.

Stretching can provide some immediate relief as well.

I recommend 'Smashwerx' videos on SI joint pain. His stretching routines were extremely effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    Retirement.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Recently I was issued an outer carrier vest and I bought Dickies Perry suspenders for the inner trouser belt. It has Velcro that mates with the duty belt plus 4 keepers.

ALL pain went away. Back, hip, etc.

Shifting that load to the shoulders was a game changer. Wish I could have done it 24 years ago.

Regards.

Lacrosse ball. These are hard enough to let you slowly locate trigger points and slowly press them until they dissolve.

Lot's of YouTube video. Check out Kelly Starrett especially.He has a Painball adventure for every joint, ligament and muscle.

User Tag List