Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistols (and pistol mounted optics) I saw this week

I'm chasing an issue with my Staccato P DUO plate for the RMR. After over 8000 rounds, I noticed a significant zero shift and discovered the plate was no longer snug to the slide. Removing the optic revealed one of the plate mounting screws had sheared off.

One thing I've noticed when reinstalling the plate - it does not want to lay flat on the slide - this seems to be caused by the O rings on the bottom of the plate. If I remove the O rings, the plate will stay flat on the slide, but with the O rings installed it creates a spring-like tension that causes the back of the plate to rise. I assume it was like this when I installed the plate many moons ago, but seeing how the plate started to rise off the slide once the mounting screw sheared off, I'm now curious about the benefit of using the O rings as I haven't seen these on any other plate design.

I'm also contemplating ditching the interface plate entirely and just mounting a DPP directly.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Looks like FCD plates for Staccato are coming…
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    Good to hear JSG glad to support another Tx company, where did you see it?
    Looks like the FCD Staccato plates are releasing soon - a collaboration with Tango Down. Disappointed though to see they'll require the sealing plate; seems like a regression and not enough of a significant gain in weight savings.

OPF-S, RMR (Staccato)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I'm chasing an issue with my Staccato P DUO plate for the RMR. After over 8000 rounds, I noticed a significant zero shift and discovered the plate was no longer snug to the slide. Removing the optic revealed one of the plate mounting screws had sheared off.

One thing I've noticed when reinstalling the plate - it does not want to lay flat on the slide - this seems to be caused by the O rings on the bottom of the plate. If I remove the O rings, the plate will stay flat on the slide, but with the O rings installed it creates a spring-like tension that causes the back of the plate to rise. I assume it was like this when I installed the plate many moons ago, but seeing how the plate started to rise off the slide once the mounting screw sheared off, I'm now curious about the benefit of using the O rings as I haven't seen these on any other plate design.

I'm also contemplating ditching the interface plate entirely and just mounting a DPP directly.
    Are you using new O-rings? I’ve seen old O rings in other applications swell with age and exposure to chemicals.

I'm going to order some new O rings from Dawson; I did try some from another plate, and it did not help.

Still, I'd like to understand exactly what purpose these serve. From what I can tell, they exert an upward pressure on the plate retaining screws, which to my mind is counterproductive. Other designs omit them.

Pistols & Optics This Week – 08/22-26

Gunsite #350 Intermediate Defensive Pistol w/Optics

Weather: Clear & real warm in the AM, early afternoon followed by monsoons;
    Round count per student: 1100 ball + 60 frangible

Combinations:
    Wilson EDC XL9 & Aimpoint Acro P1
    Glock 48 & Holosun 407k
    Sig P365XL & Holosun 407k (this shooter started with a Glock 17, FCD plate [which loosened up], Trij RMR 06)
    H&K VP9 & Holosun 507 GRX2
    Glock 19 & Trij SRO
    Sig P320 & Sig Romeo1Pro
    Glock 45 & Aimpoint Acro P2
    Colt Commander & RMR-CC
    Colt Commander & RMR-CC – extractor,
    Springfield XDM & Vortex Venom – at least 5x episodes of it spontaneously shutting off
    CZ P10C & Trij SRO
    Glock 34 & Holosun something or other

And then there was mine … I brought an Aimpoint P1 and two Steiner MPS optics with me for the class. The Acro had gone back because of a mounting issue. Aimpoint’s efforts at fixing that were unsuccessful, and it is returning to the factory on my dime.
    One MPS was on a Glock 19 via a Tango Down plate. I loaned it to a friend’s spouse, who broke it. The dot failed electronically, and several other batteries were tried. While they worked in another MPS, they did not resurrect the first one. Steiner sent a shipping label, and it’s on its way back to them.

Were I an engineer, I might be able to have an opinion, but I’ll point this out:
    Every optic of mine that has broken on an M&P, has broken mechanically. Specifically, the windage adjustment.
    Every optic that I’ve seen break on a Glock or was mine & on a Glock has broken electronically.
    Hmmm. So, why? What is the difference in how the guns recoil that results in different types of breakage?

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    @Erick Gelhaus....if that indeed holds true the issue would have to be in the mounting system difference, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Pistols & Optics This Week – 08/22-26

Gunsite #350 Intermediate Defensive Pistol w/Optics

Weather: Clear & real warm in the AM, early afternoon followed by monsoons;
    Round count per student: 1100 ball + 60 frangible

Combinations:
    Wilson EDC XL9 & Aimpoint Acro P1
    Glock 48 & Holosun 407k
    Sig P365XL & Holosun 407k (this shooter started with a Glock 17, FCD plate [which loosened up], Trij RMR 06)
    H&K VP9 & Holosun 507 GRX2
    Glock 19 & Trij SRO
    Sig P320 & Sig Romeo1Pro
    Glock 45 & Aimpoint Acro P2
    Colt Commander & RMR-CC
    Colt Commander & RMR-CC – extractor,
    Springfield XDM & Vortex Venom – at least 5x episodes of it spontaneously shutting off
    CZ P10C & Trij SRO
    Glock 34 & Holosun something or other

And then there was mine … I brought an Aimpoint P1 and two Steiner MPS optics with me for the class. The Acro had gone back because of a mounting issue. Aimpoint’s efforts at fixing that were unsuccessful, and it is returning to the factory on my dime.
    One MPS was on a Glock 19 via a Tango Down plate. I loaned it to a friend’s spouse, who broke it. The dot failed electronically, and several other batteries were tried. While they worked in another MPS, they did not resurrect the first one. Steiner sent a shipping label, and it’s on its way back to them.

Were I an engineer, I might be able to have an opinion, but I’ll point this out:
    Every optic of mine that has broken on an M&P, has broken mechanically. Specifically, the windage adjustment.
    Every optic that I’ve seen break on a Glock or was mine & on a Glock has broken electronically.
    Hmmm. So, why? What is the difference in how the guns recoil that results in different types of breakage?
    Based on my experiencing chasing broken DeltaPoint Pro optics, it is easy to convince yourself of something based on just a small to medium size sample. In my case it was durability on direct milled versus plate installations.

180 degrees, but based on a small to medium sample, the Steiner MPS is not looking ready for prime time. I would even say the verdict is still out on the Acro P2.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Based on my experiencing chasing broken DeltaPoint Pro optics, it is easy to convince yourself of something based on just a small to medium size sample. In my case it was durability on direct milled versus plate installations.

180 degrees, but based on a small to medium sample, the Steiner MPS is not looking ready for prime time. I would even say the verdict is still out on the Acro P2.
    Both ways? Naw.

Not sure I recommended the MPS for duty use. Nope, didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Both ways? Naw.

Not sure I recommended the MPS for duty use. Nope, didn't.
    It would be interesting if we could have a master data base where we logged red dot failures from many people. I am thinking we could have some broad categories like:

Mounting failures -- plates, screws and other mounting problems

Mechanical zero failures -- where the optic lost zero due to an internal problem ad opposed to the optic coming loose

Electronic failures -- like dot emitter, switches

With many entries over time, I bet patterns would show.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It would be interesting if we could have a master data base where we logged red dot failures from many people. I am thinking we could have some broad categories like:

Mounting failures -- plates, screws and other mounting problems

Mechanical zero failures -- where the optic lost zero due to an internal problem ad opposed to the optic coming loose

Electronic failures -- like dot emitter, switches

With many entries over time, I bet patterns would show.

Great idea GJM, kinda like the 2000 round challenge. Seems like it would be a good resource.

User Tag List