Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistols (and pistol mounted optics) I saw this week

A nice thing about the RM07, is you are one quick click on the + to go from auto to manual.

What is battery life staying in manual at your daytime setting?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A nice thing about the RM07, is you are one quick click on the + to go from auto to manual.

Months. I just changed mine every 6 months.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I’ve only been doing the red dot thing for about two months so I can’t speak to battery life with any experience. I use setting 6 of 8 which allows me to see the dot well in daylight on a sunny day. I’m going to guess battery life will be substantially lower than the 4 years the website says you’ll get at setting 4 of 8. If I can get a year out of a Duracell, that’s good with me.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    @Erick Gelhaus- thanks very much for the report. Notable that two of the mount failures were “agency issues”. IOW, the agency armorer(s) could be said to have not paid close attention. I’ve seen this before with SWAT teams and the like. It may be a serious future concern as departments struggle with “defunding”, etc.
    The auto adjust doesn’t seem to be working out. My thinking at the moment is settle on a setting, and leave it. Comments?
    The long screw incident is instructive. I’ve seen instances where folks w/ the MOS pour loctite into the screw hole and (attempt) to carry on. On the MOS right screw-viewed from shooter perspective- that can actually break into the extractor rod cavity and cause extraction problems.
    Any issues with dust, trash, water, etc. getting into open emitters?

Thanks again for observations
    The specific issue there was no thread locker combined with no witness marks. It was 'fixed' on-site, and those guys know what they need;
    I have one auto adjust gen 1 RMR, it is on my dedicated UTM (nlta) pistol. I just wasn't a fan of the auto-adjust because of the issues mentioned. I'll adjust mine to work in conjunction with the light I'm using and a light-colored wall;
    Concur on the screw length issue. I've seen it a few times now;
    With the AZ monsoon season, it wasn't as dusty as it could have been. Also, while there is kneeling in the #250 class, prone is no longer in the lesson plan, and no one fell. That all combined kept most crap out of the emitter area. I do a segment where I spray water into the shooter's side of the glass while holstered to address the concerns about rain, etc. No one had issues with the optics during or after that part.

Thanks for the post and information Erick... screw length has been a thing recently - especially with Glock 43X/48 MOS and Sig 320s (at least in my experience) and mounting issues continue to be the predominant failure point. Your experience mirrors mine.

As for my reports, I apologize for the radio silence over the past couple months. We’ve been working on a family plan for several years and it hit “critical mass” (the puns will make sense later) over the past few months. Long story short, my wife and kids have escaped. We purchased a house in Tennessee and moved there in mid July. I just flew back yesterday and I’ll be living out here in our motor home behind enemy lines while I finish out my last year and a couple months... or maybe my last 8 months if needs be. After that I may just be the grumpy retired guy... or I may find something else to do... never know. Where we live there are several opportunities and more coming.

Anyway... We’ve still been doing classes and I’ve still been mounting optics. I’ve documented it all but haven’t had time to post. I’m in the process of transferring my mounting records from the paper sheets to my excel file, and I’ll post an update soon.

For JCN... Haven’t done it yet but I have my E6000 and a Staccato with a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro so we’re gonna see how that goes. It may be the answer. We’ll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    For JCN... Haven’t done it yet but I have my E6000 and a Staccato with a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro so we’re gonna see how that goes. It may be the answer. We’ll see how it goes.
    Pro tip, you can use a dollop and squish for plates (you may need a razor and a small screwdriver to release it later, but then can rub off the rest to get it clean).

But for slide to optic (or plate to optic) just use a very small amount. Like wipe your finger small. And just put it in solid areas if you can. I’ve occasionally been a little heavy handed with it and regretted it a little on attempted removal (sometimes the press on covers like to come off).

These days when mounting optic to slide I do a small wipe in the corners so I can razor release it easily later.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

I run strictly manual and 1 setting below brightest on all of my type 2 rmr's I am consistently having to change the battery after 8-9 months

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    As I described in this post, I have experience bedding scope bases to rifle actions. I am going to use a variation of this process when I mount the plate on my PPQ, which I will document with photos. This should happen in a few months, but I am very confident the plate won't come loose under any circumstances using this method.
    Any update on this? If I missed it can you tag me in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Any update on this? If I missed it can you tag me in it?
    Went well, rock solid.

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    I have not done this experiment but if you wanted proof of concept you could try the following:

Use E6000 to mount the plate to slide.
    But don’t torque the plate screws.
    You can use a little blue loctite on the cap head to prevent them from vibrating loose but don’t torque them down.

Then mount the optic to the plate and shoot 500 rounds. If the plate doesn’t wiggle then that’s a positive experience.

Then remove optic and plate to understand the beauty of the application.

Unlike a permanent mount with epoxy, this is quite reversible without heat or solvents. And no residue when you rub it off with your finger.

My suspicion is that you could run the E6000 without using any screws at all but I don’t want the optic hitting you in the face in case I’m wrong.

Using plate finger tight screws (that would be retained by the optic base) would prevent injury but still let you know if anything loosened up.

(Do make sure you squish the plate down though. Maybe the better experiment would be mount plate with E6000 and torque plate screws down to bed it. THEN loosen up the screws. That way it would be appropriate mating).
    Last edited by JCN; 08-04-2022 at 08:52 AM.

User Tag List