Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistols (and pistol mounted optics) I saw this week

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Do the CORE/ Optic Ready models come with ACRO footprint plates or were you using aftermarket such as C&H?
    I believe they were using the Aimpoint /B&T plate.

They are trying to go 9mm, platform TBD.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    S&W has a solution for this issue....at least for Aimpoints. I repeat the collective wisdom that factory milled rails instead of screw holes and plates, for an Aimpoint style mounting system, is the solution to all of this. Fortunately a few firearm manufacturers are coming around. Sig will be the last to do so, because they'd be competing against their own optics at that point.
    Yes, Austin PD is supposed to go the factory milled slide with issued P2 route.

You are spot on re: SIG but at the federal level competing and writing contracts is a protracted and expensive process. Hence why so many federal agencies like to piggyback on existing contracts rather than writing their own.

I saw a movie once about a large agency with some sharp contracting people who wrote a contract for purchase of the “ SIG P320 system” instead of just SIG P320 firearms. Thus allowing purchase of P320 related items like pistol optics from SIG by amending the contract rather than having to re-compete everything.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I believe they were using the Aimpoint /B&T plate.

They are trying to go 9mm, platform TBD.
    Gotcha. We had issues with a few Aimpoint ACRO plates early on in 2020 but we were using VC-3 at that time to mount them. When we started running the P-2s back in July of 2021, we used the Aimpoint plate but with Loctite-248 and our more refined mounting procedures and had no issues for (I think) around 2,500 rounds on the first instructor's M&P CORE.

When the optic came back to me from the other instructor, I ordered a C&H plate for the ACRO/CORE with the intention of running that to avoid potential issues with the Aimpoint plate. Another instructor ordered one a few days later. Neither fits on any of the 5-6 pistols I've tried them on. The plate will not fit flush and there is a scary amount of light under the plate even when the screws are fully tightened. I ended up using the Aimpoint plate and using the same mounting procedures it hasn't given me any issues in around 2,000 rounds so far.

Of course, our M&Ps are 9mm so it's certainly not the pounding the mount would get from the .40.

We're starting to see some big issues with the C&H plates for the Holosun 509T as well, but only for the S&W CORE/Optic Ready pistols. The ACRO/509T works on other guns and with other plates, the M&P works fine with other optics and other plates, and other C&H plates work well.

Since the C&H plates for the ACRO and 509T have not been available all that long and people who are wanting an ACRO seem to be waiting for the P-2, we don't have any C&H ACRO/CORE plates in service right now besides the two I tried and possibly one other instructor who will be checking his next week (He doesn't remember if he used the C&H or Aimpoint plate). That's not the case with the 509T and there are a few dozen at least that we've mounted.

I'm waiting to hear back from C&H but our failure rate at this point is very high and kinda exploded over the past few weeks. We've been working hard to diagnose what is occurring. I did tests between Loctite-243 and 248 to see if 248 wasn't strong enough (it is but 243 is a bit stronger and more oil resistant - and messier), degreased the optic threads and crossbolt screw and added Loctite, inspected plates and slides with high magnification, and I've seen enough of a trend and examined enough failures that I think it's a similar problem as my two ACRO plates - a lack of correct engagement with the M&Ps recoil bosses. It's a bummer because the 509T is a very popular optic, the M&P is a very popular pistol on my department and right now the C&H plate is the only game in town for that combo.

Vending Machine Operator
    Assuming there is not already thread locker on the screws, degrease everything (screws and screw holes). Allow to dry.

Apply 1 drop threadlocker to each screw. More is not better. Allow to dry.

Install to recommended torque using a torque driver. Alternate when tightening like lug nuts on car wheel.

Don’t use torque drivers to loosen anything, it can damage the torque driver- use a regular wrench / key for loosening / removing.
    I will save this for reference, much obliged HCM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Gotcha. We had issues with a few Aimpoint ACRO plates early on in 2020 but we were using VC-3 at that time to mount them. When we started running the P-2s back in July of 2021, we used the Aimpoint plate but with Loctite-248 and our more refined mounting procedures and had no issues for (I think) around 2,500 rounds on the first instructor's M&P CORE.

When the optic came back to me from the other instructor, I ordered a C&H plate for the ACRO/CORE with the intention of running that to avoid potential issues with the Aimpoint plate. Another instructor ordered one a few days later. Neither fits on any of the 5-6 pistols I've tried them on. The plate will not fit flush and there is a scary amount of light under the plate even when the screws are fully tightened. I ended up using the Aimpoint plate and using the same mounting procedures it hasn't given me any issues in around 2,000 rounds so far.

Of course, our M&Ps are 9mm so it's certainly not the pounding the mount would get from the .40.

We're starting to see some big issues with the C&H plates for the Holosun 509T as well, but only for the S&W CORE/Optic Ready pistols. The ACRO/509T works on other guns and with other plates, the M&P works fine with other optics and other plates, and other C&H plates work well.

Since the C&H plates for the ACRO and 509T have not been available all that long and people who are wanting an ACRO seem to be waiting for the P-2, we don't have any C&H ACRO/CORE plates in service right now besides the two I tried and possibly one other instructor who will be checking his next week (He doesn't remember if he used the C&H or Aimpoint plate). That's not the case with the 509T and there are a few dozen at least that we've mounted.

I'm waiting to hear back from C&H but our failure rate at this point is very high and kinda exploded over the past few weeks. We've been working hard to diagnose what is occurring. I did tests between Loctite-243 and 248 to see if 248 wasn't strong enough (it is but 243 is a bit stronger and more oil resistant - and messier), degreased the optic threads and crossbolt screw and added Loctite, inspected plates and slides with high magnification, and I've seen enough of a trend and examined enough failures that I think it's a similar problem as my two ACRO plates - a lack of correct engagement with the M&Ps recoil bosses. It's a bummer because the 509T is a very popular optic, the M&P is a very popular pistol on my department and right now the C&H plate is the only game in town for that combo.
    A year or two ago, I had chpws modify a CORE with their 509T plate and it came loose three times after three trips back to chpws, before their owner got involved and mounted it. I haven't shot enough through it to know if it works, but the CORE and the 509T seem problematic. I had Maple Leaf direct mill a non CORE M&P slide for the 509T.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Assuming there is not already thread locker on the screws, degrease everything (screws and screw holes). Allow to dry.

Apply 1 drop threadlocker to each screw. More is not better. Allow to dry.

Install to recommended torque using a torque driver. Alternate when tightening like lug nuts on car wheel.

Don’t use torque drivers to loosen anything, it can damage the torque driver- use a regular wrench / key for loosening / removing.
    Do you allow the threadlocker to dry in all applications, or just for installing optics? Hadn't heard this before. I use loctite on lots of thing, may as well get it right.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Do you allow the threadlocker to dry in all applications, or just for installing optics? Hadn't heard this before. I use loctite on lots of thing, may as well get it right.
    Loctite can cure in place after installation but it cures faster this way. VC3 is supposed to dry first.

With the semisolid Loctite 248, I did not let that dry. No issues so far.
    If the thread locker is a liquid, I think letting it dry first (before screwing in) is good. Two other things: the torque on the screw is important and we leave it alone(no live fire) for 24 hours if at all possible.

Thanks to you both!

Site Supporter
    Last week I attended a one week firearms instructor recertification class for my agency, 4/5 days were dedicated to red dot pistol instructor development.

21 students, 17 running issued SIG P320s with the Romeo1PRO (R1P) and 4 POW Glock shooters with type 2 RMRs. 3 G17.4 MOS and one milled G19.4.

Round count was approximately 1,000 rounds most of which was on day 2 and 3. Rounds included Gold Dot for pass /fail quals, Winchester purple FMJ and Several hundred rounds of frangible.

As one would expect with competent shooters running stock service pistols with quality ammo, there were no optics or firearms failures / issues.

POI was industry standard stuff - benefits of the MRDS, finding the dot, occlude shooting, immediate action for optic malfunctions etc

Mounting optics was addressed. Basically degrease, use blue loctite if not already factory applied, tighten to 30 inch/lbs for the R1P, 12 inch/bs for the RMR.

Day 4 included 4 hours of force on force sparring with MRDS, about half of which was conducted in low light. 3/21 took SIM rounds to the lens of their WML. All three WML continued to function.

SIMMUNITION offers an optics ready P320C/M18 slide but we were advised they are “pricey.” Unlike other SIMs kits they don’t field strip like a standard P320. They have a unique install / removal process which involves unscrewing the barrel from the breechblock.

Name:  F81955DE-7CC1-4434-827A-E7858E128256.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  46.7 KB

Name:  ED87B6CF-5680-4144-9667-0900E36AA89D.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  28.7 KB

User Tag List