Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistols (and pistol mounted optics) I saw this week

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Can you chase the holes with a tap?
    I would say yes (stainless slide and all) and I even have a tap set I’ve used for some aftermarket slide stuff but it would be very against Department policy for me to do it. Our Armorer could, but he’s out for a couple weeks and won’t be back before this guy’s class.

Now that you mention it though… I think I’ll recommend (since it’s a second gun for him) that he have our Armorer deal with the threads when he’s back after the class and we’ll re-mount it with new screws.

Finished up another pistol optic class today. All the students were from my Department and I’m pretty impressed with the performance level displayed. We switched earlier this year from a prerequisite course of fire that was very marksmanship oriented to one that is manipulation heavy with a reasonable accuracy constraint and this was the first class where all the participants had completed the new qual. So far I’m happy we switched!

Pistols/optics used were as follows:

Sig P226 Legion / Romeo 1Pro
    Sig P226 Legion / Romeo 1Pro
    Staccato P / Trijicon SRO
    M&P 5” Optic Ready (O.R.) / Holosun 507C-ACSS Vulcan
    M&P 5” O.R. / Holosun 507C
    M&P 5” O.R. / Holosun 508T
    M&P 5” O.R. / Trijicon RMR - manual adjust
    M&P 5” O.R. / Holosun 407C
    Glock 19MOS gen 5 / Leupold DeltaPoint Pro NV
    M&P 4.25” O.R. / RMR - manual adjust
    M&P 5” O.R. / Trijicon SRO*
    Glock 34MOS gen 5 / Trijicon SRO
    M&P 5” O.R. / Holosun 508T

I shot my Staccato C2 as I’m still in the vetting stage with it. It has an SRO on it. At this point I’m probably nearing 1,200 rounds with no cleaning (lubing several times) and no malfunctions. It’s the first time I’ve shot it with the SRO save about 20 rounds to zero it last Friday. I like the SRO on it, especially since I’m still not used to the change in height of the optic above my hand when compared to the Glocks I normally shoot. The big window of the SRO allows more wiggle room for the dot not presenting perfectly and right now I’ll take it. I cut the medium beaver tail short so the grip has less of a “Glock” angle, but need to set aside some time to really get comfortable with it... Of course that’s if I decide to stick with it for a while vs. going back to the Glock... Not sure.

We mounted the 507C with the Vulcan reticle on the morning of the first day and it stayed tight. No one had an issue with their optic functioning or coming loose. Some “considerations” that won’t really be a surprise to anyone who’s familiar:

The SRO is badass if the sun is not in a position to cause glare. If it is, the SRO is greatly affected, followed by the DeltaPoint Pro With its big orange box as well as artifacts that appear. I could not get the Holosun 507C with the Vulcan to exhibit any substantial glare at a lower sun angle, and the only thing that appeared was a small green dot that was clearly not the reticle.

I think the Holosun circle-dot is too busy. I like the circle-only and I like the dot. This is the first time I’ve shot the Vulcan reticle and I think that it has advantages and disadvantages. The student using it liked it and credited the large ring with helping the efficiency in his skill-building. I found the reticle distracting but I also only shot about eight rounds through it so it’s a little early to judge.

I didn’t do the water exposure with the Sig shooters, but I did with the DeltaPoint shooter, and - having dealt with it myself demonstrating with a DeltaPoint Pro in a previous class, the lack of drain holes is an issue for me, especially if one is to use one for duty in a place with frequent rain. Not only are there no drain holes, but water that hits the window can end up running down to the emitter. With most optics, the draw allows the water that may have gathered on the window to run away and out. With the DeltaPoint that may happen, or it may pool around the emitter. Sometimes one shot or a good shake will clear it. Sometimes it won’t and takes multiple attempts.

By the end of day two one of the Sig P226 was being sluggish on the reload but continued to function without issue. The Staccato functioned 100% save the shooter failing to de-activate the grip safety on one course of fire.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    By the end of day two one of the Sig P226 was being sluggish on the reload but continued to function without issue.

Can you elaborate? Sluggish going back into battery?

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Can you elaborate? Sluggish going back into battery?
    Yep - sluggish in going into battery after the reload via slide release. It hadn’t been lubed during class and was at the time probably a bit over 1,000 rounds.

Good copy. Thank you. The P series guns like to be run wet. Especially when contrasted with the lube needs (or lack there of) of the modern striker fired pistol.

BTW, this thread and all your work on vetting and standardizing the optic mounting process are invaluable. Thank you.

T

“SoCal”, why no water test on the Sigs?

The Holosun circle works well in low sun angles -- easy to differentiate the circle from splatter.

Name:  0FAD6563-8F6D-4347-8883-EF4EC2219A87.jpeg
Views: 626
Size:  83.0 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by DexterTaylor View Post
    “SoCal”, why no water test on the Sigs?
    I should have made that more clear. The other instructor did the side of the line with the Sig shooters - they got wet but I just didn’t see it.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    I should have made that more clear. The other instructor did the side of the line with the Sig shooters - they got wet but I just didn’t see it.
    Trey, if you don't mind me asking...the Course of Fire you mentioned. Is that a new Department Qual or a new course of fire specific to the PMO class?

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Trey, if you don't mind me asking...the Course of Fire you mentioned. Is that a new Department Qual or a new course of fire specific to the PMO class?
    PM Inbound...

User Tag List