Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistols (and pistol mounted optics) I saw this week

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Literally have our practice ammo dyed Barney purple to differentiate it from duty ammo and this is still an issue.
    I know for a fact I would have officers try to carry that because it matched their nails.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I know for a fact I would have officers try to carry that because it matched their nails.
    Until our transition to the P320 two years ago, we issued .40 and allowed POWs in .38, 9mm and .40 with and issued .40 P229 and a POW G26 being the most common combo. We issued brass cased .40 and nickel cased 9mm to try and prevent ammo mix ups. Despite this we saw multiple instances of 9mm loaded into .40 mags and at least one instance of .40 loaded into. G26 mag.

The purple ammo is officially called Readily Identifiable Training ammo or RITA.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    @SoCalDep.....on the ammo issue, is this training or duty ammo? We made a switch a few years ago, based entirely on quality control with a particular brand of duty ammo. We do use practice ammo for some training, but at this point only for recruit training. We used it for In Service Perishable Skills training briefly, but the cops kept trying to load it into their guns to go back on duty. It just got to be too much trouble keeping watch on them. You had to IMMEDIATELY remove the ammo.....but then some started grabbing a box extra before the end of training. It's like dealing with kindergarteners.
    It's training ammo. Speer Lawman CleanFire 124gr. We've used several different brands and most of them have had one issue or another over time.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    It's training ammo. Speer Lawman CleanFire 124gr. We've used several different brands and most of them have had one issue or another over time.
    We've gone through Winchester White Box, Speer Lawman, AE, and Sig V Crown FMJ. Least problematic was the American Eagle. Sig was a close second, but we recently started seeing a lot of bad primers in the 180 gr .40 stuff.

That's funny... American Eagle was the best for us as well. The performance of the low-lead isn't great, but I won't complain about the lower blood lead level.

I was out shooting my Sig Legion X-Carry today when something hit me in the nose. When I finished the string with holes all over the target I looked the gun over. I immediately felt the 508T flopping around. The left screw was loose and the right screw was sheared off it would turn out about flush with the slide. When I got it home and looked closer, it appeared as if the loose screw had no threadlocker intact, though I did install it. The broken screw though of course is still holding fast. It is going to take some work to remove. My guess is that the left screw came loose and then the right screw broke, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I was out shooting my Sig Legion X-Carry today when something hit me in the nose. When I finished the string with holes all over the target I looked the gun over. I immediately felt the 508T flopping around. The left screw was loose and the right screw was sheared off it would turn out about flush with the slide. When I got it home and looked closer, it appeared as if the loose screw had no threadlocker intact, though I did install it. The broken screw though of course is still holding fast. It is going to take some work to remove. My guess is that the left screw came loose and then the right screw broke, but who knows.
    It seems like loose screws lead to broken screws. Didn’t SoCal report issues with the 508T and screws not staying tight?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It seems like loose screws lead to broken screws. Didn’t SoCal report issues with the 508T and screws not staying tight?
    We had issues with the McMaster alloy steel screws that had the wider (I think .307") head diameter because they contacted the side of the optic. We switched to the smaller head diameter screws (McMaster stainless or zinc-plated depending on application - I think they are .260") and haven't had issues since.

I went back and looked at pictures of the sheared screw from our SRO testing where we fired a pretty obscene number of rounds in a very short time frame and it was the right screw that sheared on that one, but a picture I have of a Glock MOS showed a left plate-slide screw sheared.

From what I've seen, one screw comes loose first. It's "more" loose as the second screw comes loose enough to allow the optic to start shifting during firing. as the optic shifts it impacts the looser screw eventually shearing it. I'm no engineer however, so I can't say for certain what happens or how.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    We had issues with the McMaster alloy steel screws that had the wider (I think .307") head diameter because they contacted the side of the optic. We switched to the smaller head diameter screws (McMaster stainless or zinc-plated depending on application - I think they are .260") and haven't had issues since.

I went back and looked at pictures of the sheared screw from our SRO testing where we fired a pretty obscene number of rounds in a very short time frame and it was the right screw that sheared on that one, but a picture I have of a Glock MOS showed a left plate-slide screw sheared.

From what I've seen, one screw comes loose first. It's "more" loose as the second screw comes loose enough to allow the optic to start shifting during firing. as the optic shifts it impacts the looser screw eventually shearing it. I'm no engineer however, so I can't say for certain what happens or how.
    Not sure if both came loose, but I tried heating up the one that sheared off to get it out and no dice. I am going to have to take it to work tomorrow and mill it out.

Last week I taught a 2-night L/E Low Light Instructor class in San Bernadino. The handgun round count was only 225 rounds, sharing here none the less.

18 students with the following pistols:

Glock 22 / X300U;
    Sig P320/Romeo 1 Pro/ Streamlight TLR1;
    Glock 22/RMR/X300U;
    Glock 17/SRO/TLR7;
    Glock 19/RMR/X300U;
    Glock 19/Holosun/TLR7;
    Glock 17C/Holosun/TLR7;
    Staccato/Holosun/Modlite;
    Glock 17/SRO/X300U;
    Staccato/Holosun 507CS/Modlite;
    Glock 22/X300U;