Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistols (and pistol mounted optics) I saw this week

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Don't you just take the optic out of the box, screw it on however, and that is all there is to red dot installation?

The irony is, if pistols were cut from the factory with an Acro footprint, that would be pretty much it for mounting.
    I am convinced that is the way of the future, but seems unlikely we'll get trijicon or holosun adaopting the ACRO footprint any time soon...

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Don't you just take the optic out of the box, screw it on however, and that is all there is to red dot installation?

The irony is, if pistols were cut from the factory with an Acro footprint, that would be pretty much it for mounting.
    I tried to respond with a sarcastic comment of my own like five times and each one sounded like I was attacking GJM, so I’m just going to say that I approve of GJM’s sarcastic comment.

Day one of an optic class and I have two optics that came loose. A 509T Glock plate (plate to slide) and a 509T on an M&P Optic Ready 2.0 (optic came loose, but plate was a little loose too).

I totally agree that an ACRO direct mount is rad - It won’t solve everything, but it will solve a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    ....and a 509T on an M&P Optic Ready 2.0 (optic came loose, but plate was a little loose too).
    Curious if you know if that was a CHPWS plate? I'm wanting to try a 509T on my M&P but I've heard mixed reviews of their mounting system being difficult to prevent loosening.

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    Curious if you know if that was a CHPWS plate? I'm wanting to try a 509T on my M&P but I've heard mixed reviews of their mounting system being difficult to prevent loosening.
    FWIW, I had a C&H plate with a 509T on a G45 for 2000+ rounds over about 5-6 months. No loosening, but I was very generous with the Vibratite and let it set for 24 hours. I’ve since moved to Loctite after an ACRO locking screw slightly loosened(as indicated by “witness paint marks”-C&H and others recommend).
    Look, bottom line: optics ain’t iron sights. They require attention to mounting, checking before carrying, and monitoring-plate AND sight. I’m sold on them as a “seasoned” shooter. As indicated, direct mill from factories would be really nice.
    But the reality is we have multiple manufacturers of both pistols and optics and “commonality”is still being sorted out-that will take a few years.
    Pay attention to @SoCalDep and his procedures-and mount some backup irons if you’re going to carry the package.
    Then train for all eventualities, please…

And also-I’ve seen good results with Tango Down ACRO plates, the Aimpoint plate(B&T mfg.) and GLOCK MOS plates when all are monitored.
    I’m getting to the point where at least a couple of times a week:
    1)Clear carry weapon; check; triple check
    2)Check sight “status”. Does it wiggle? No wiggle good. Is it on? Little bright light-good!
    3)Holster; several draws to “ready”(thanks John Hearne) Before last draw, check chamber/clear. Last draw, snap on a safe target two handed, tap, rack, shooting hand snap, tap, rack and switch to support, snap. Back to ready with two hands.
    4)Loading, trigger finger straight, chamber check, tap back of slide and ease into holster. Drive to work.

If I’m not carrying an optic gun (like a holstered, pocketed piece) than I omit step 2.
    So another way of looking at it would be an optics check just before the chamber check-trigger finger straight as one grasps weapon.
    Do as your situation dictates…

I was asking specific to the M&P and 509T combo. I'm familiar with and have had success following @SoCalDep mounting procedures, etc. with Holosun 407/507 and Trijicon RMR units but I'm interested in a 509T. As far as I've found CHPWS is really the only game in town aside from S&W for M&P CORE mounting plates. I know from reading the forum @GJM had trouble with CHPWS's M&P/509T solution. Hoping to hear about something new or improved.

I was asking specific to the M&P and 509T combo. I'm familiar with and have had success following @SoCalDep mounting procedures, etc. with Holosun 407/507 and Trijicon RMR units but I'm interested in a 509T. As far as I've found CHPWS is really the only game in town aside from S&W for M&P CORE mounting plates. I know from reading the forum @GJM had trouble with CHPWS's M&P/509T solution. Hoping to hear about something new or improved.
    The first three times they worked on my M&P slide, the 509T came loose within a magazine or two. The last time, it seems to be holding, but I haven’t tested it more in months. I plan to send a slide elsewhere for a direct mill Acro install.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

It was a CHPWS plate, but I suspect the mounting more than the plate itself. Now... This is the new plate that doesn’t require tapping the slide like GJM had to deal with, and I’ve been running a CHPWS plate for a 509T on a Glock 45 for the better part of a year with good result. In fact, it’s my current carry gun until I get my trusty G19 zeroed with the ACRO I mounted on it. I’ve mounted a couple 509T’s on M&Ps with CHPWS plates (the new ones) and they’re in the class we’re running now. So far the ones I’ve mounted have survived. We’ll see.

Regarding the new CHPWS M&P 2.0 plate, w hile I don’t like how tightening the screws affects the anodizing, it seems to be a really solid setup and I’m hopeful that it will work well. I’m going rogue and torquing to 15 in/lbs plate to slide before going with the Holosun spec of 20 in/lbs for the optic to plate.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    It was a CHPWS plate, but I suspect the mounting more than the plate itself. Now... This is the new plate that doesn’t require tapping the slide like GJM had to deal with, and I’ve been running a CHPWS plate for a 509T on a Glock 45 for the better part of a year with good result. In fact, it’s my current carry gun until I get my trusty G19 zeroed with the ACRO I mounted on it. I’ve mounted a couple 509T’s on M&Ps with CHPWS plates (the new ones) and they’re in the class we’re running now. So far the ones I’ve mounted have survived. We’ll see.

Regarding the new CHPWS M&P 2.0 plate, w hile I don’t like how tightening the screws affects the anodizing, it seems to be a really solid setup and I’m hopeful that it will work well. I’m going rogue and torquing to 15 in/lbs plate to slide before going with the Holosun spec of 20 in/lbs for the optic to plate.
    Thanks for the reply, exactly the info I was looking for. Looking forward to hear how the examples in your class hold up.

Thanks for the reply, exactly the info I was looking for. Looking forward to hear how the examples in your class hold up.
    My 509T work from Chip Wiz during their dark days, so hopefully the new CORE 509T plates are good. Doesn’t seem like rocket science.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List