Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revolver red dot mount with built in sight(s)??

Revolver red dot mount with built in sight(s)??

I'd really like to add a rds to a revolver, the thing that's stopped me from jumping in is the lack of buis, the revolver recoils at a high velocity so is a candidate to shear screws or kill an optic (S&W 329PD).
    The only current option I've found is the D&L Sports which has both a front and rear sight built in. Very short sight radius, probably very rudimentary, but that's OK I just want SOMETHING if the optic goes south.
    So two questions:
    1.) Anybody have experience with that mount?
    2.) Know of any other options?

It's a long shot I know but I throw it out there just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    I'd really like to add a rds to a revolver, the thing that's stopped me from jumping in is the lack of buis, the revolver recoils at a high velocity so is a candidate to shear screws or kill an optic (S&W 329PD).
    The only current option I've found is the D&L Sports which has both a front and rear sight built in. Very short sight radius, probably very rudimentary, but that's OK I just want SOMETHING if the optic goes south.
    So two questions:
    1.) Anybody have experience with that mount?
    2.) Know of any other options?

It's a long shot I know but I throw it out there just in case.
    I don’t know / think that a revolver is prone to shearing screws because there’s a lot of rotation rather than straight back shear. Semi-auto slide will be much rougher on it.

In general I would recommend barrel indexing instead of BUIS on revolver.

You can tilt and basically look down the barrel profile like a shotgun and get pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I don’t know / think that a revolver is prone to shearing screws because there’s a lot of rotation rather than straight back shear. Semi-auto slide will be much rougher on it.

You can tilt and basically look down the barrel profile like a shotgun and get pretty close.

You've never shot a 25 ounce .44 mag have you

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    You've never shot a 25 ounce .44 mag have you
    !!!

Oh!

I totally missed that part. That sounds horrible. Hahaha.

I take it back!

It's not horrible, it's useful at least for a limited number of situations.

But it will unseat bullets and loosen screws if you're not careful.

I might try the "barrel index" on some different revolvers but I'm leery of rotating wrists like that with any heavier recoiling revo.
    Last edited by JTMcC; 10-31-2023 at 11:05 AM.

I just used one of these on my auto pistol.
    Would help if the thing flew off, but it would if it conked out.

Name:  junk.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  58.7 KB

D&L is good to go I’m sure, I just got a M&P back from him with the J-frame sights. He would probably fit the front sight to match your load if you sent your carry ammo.

If you low mounted a 407k/507k with the built in rear BUIS, could you tailor a taller custom front sight? You’d be SOL on windage adjustment, but it’d likely get you close to what you want. Similar to what I did when I added Novaks to my pair of LCR revolvers and needed much taller front sights.
    Name:  IMG_1185.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  74.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    If you low mounted a 407k/507k with the built in rear BUIS, could you tailor a taller custom front sight? You’d be SOL on windage adjustment, but it’d likely get you close to what you want. Similar to what I did when I added Novaks to my pair of LCR revolvers and needed much taller front sights.
    Name:  IMG_1185.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  74.4 KB

Yes I've got the material & tools to make a front blade if need be but much higher than the factory sight puts me in a bind holster wise. Not everbody & their brother is making N-frame holsters that are hi & tite.
    But it's something to consider. I avoid buying chinese whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

Sometime this week, I'm going to try sighting down the barrel of this 329, sort of, using the shallow V like space where the cylinder profile meets the top strap. I can do that with a normal firing grip and no tilt. We'll see how (and how far out) that works.

If nothing else it'll be interesting, and informative.

User Tag List