Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistols (and pistol mounted optics) I saw this week

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I’m hoping that when we get a large agency/gov contract specify a rail mounting system for dots we might finally get an industry standard like the 1913 has become for rifles.

My cynical side says it will end up being something made by sig that wont be compatible with either the 509t or acro mounting system.
    The MHS is as big as pistol purchases get and that specified the DPP footprint.

Your prediction is exactly what SIG did but not in the way you meant. SIG’s removable hood on the Romeo 2 not being a true closed emitter is likely an artifact of the impracticality of mixing closed emitter optics and top mounted screws as used in SIGs existing footprint. However they are on the wrong side of history on this.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-24-2021 at 11:08 AM.

This post reports a “first” for me. A 509T came loose from it’s mount. Even worse, the indicator marks on the cross-bolt screw showed no movement. I’m making some inquiries into the cause but since it was a borrowed gun from another agency at the end of a two-day class I have pretty much zero information on what actually occurred right now.

The same optic showed a significant amount of distortion in the window... way worse than my two 509Ts. That distortion was compounded by very high suppressor sights that blocked nearly half the window. It reinforced my thoughts that low irons are the way to go. If you can see them they are good. If they block more than say 1/4 of the window they suck.

We advised the shooter to have the owner (borrowed gun) contact Holosun for warranty service.

So this was in a Department pistol optic class this week. We had nine total students who included a friend and former Department instructor who promoted to a patrol Sgt about a year and a half ago as well as one each of a State agency and Federal agency copper...

Pistols and optics are as follows:

Glock 17 not stock / Leupold DeltaPoint Pro
    S&W M&P CORE 5” / RMR manual
    Staccato Comped thing / Leupold DeltaPoint Pro
    S&W M&W CORE 5” / Holosun 508T
    Glock 34MOS / RMR manual
    Glock 19 MOS / RMR manual
    S&W M&P CORE 4.25” / RMR manual
    Glock 34MOS / Holosun 509T
    S&W M&P CORE / RMR manual

The only issues we had were the aforementioned G34/509T and the M&P CORE 5” with the Holosun 508T which was discovered to be loose a hundred or so rounds into day 2. The optic wasn’t mounted by us and we re-mounted with our procedures and new screws. We had no issues with that optic for the rest of the day.

The Staccato ran well as did the rest of the pistols. There were some ammunition issues across the board but that seems to be par for the course now, especially with practice ammo.

I used my M&P 2.0 CORE with an Apex barrel and a Holosun 407CO. This is the same pistol I used for the contract class last weekend, and I’m sold. I’ve had it for a only a couple weeks. I put a couple hundred rounds through it prior to the contract class to zero it and get familiar with the pistol and optic, then used it for demos in both classes. I probably have about 1,000 rounds through it and it’s pushed me to a personal record in our class evaluation drill. I’m very happy with the 8MOA ring... Assuming I have my contacts in or my glasses on. Without that, it’s a huge blur. for me, that means a smaller dot is still a better “assume worst case” optic, but I love the encouragement for target focus and the mitigated glare issue. For those who don’t have defective eyes, this is rad.

I’m gonna start shooting M&Ps again for a while.

I'm curious if the M&P COREs you see are using the factory supplied plates or CHPWS plates?

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    I'm curious if the M&P COREs you see are using the factory supplied plates or CHPWS plates?
    Both.

I’m 100% against the factory plastic plates. The factory metal plates have worked great in my experience. The CHPWS plates have been hit and miss. For several months in 2020 all was good. More recently we’ve seen a fair amount of manufacturing errors in the CHPWS plates and it concerns me.

At this point I’d prefer the factory metal plates, but I'd go CHPWS over plastic, being strict about what I’d expect from them.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Both.

I’m 100% against the factory plastic plates. The factory metal plates have worked great in my experience. The CHPWS plates have been hit and miss. For several months in 2020 all was good. More recently we’ve seen a fair amount of manufacturing errors in the CHPWS plates and it concerns me.

At this point I’d prefer the factory metal plates, but I'd go CHPWS over plastic, being strict about what I’d expect from them.
    Thanks, your experience and this thread are very helpful.

@SoCalDep: you and Mr. Gelhaus are providing valuable information-thank you!
    I may have missed it, but could you outline your procedures again for mounting mrds sights you mentioned earlier?
    Thanks again in advance

Both.

Hmmmm. Interesting on the errors.

@SoCalDep - I can't recall if you've mentioned either the TangoDown or the Forward Controls Design plates and your experiences, thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Hmmmm. Interesting on the errors.

@SoCalDep - I can't recall if you've mentioned either the TangoDown or the Forward Controls Design plates and your experiences, thoughts?
    I have a FCD plate on my main Glock carry G19MOS. I have no complaints and the few I’ve installed for others fit very tight which is a good thing. The Tango down plate (recommended by Wayne Dobbs) for Glocks (ACRO mount) has worked great for me save the VC-3. I actually recently installed the TD plate with new screws and Loctite 248 on my G17MOS which is awaiting an ACRO of some sort.

Other than my personal TD plate I have little experience with them.

I have a FCD plate on my main Glock ...

Other than my personal TD plate ...
    Thank you sir!

I’m gonna start shooting M&Ps again for a while.
    I say this lasts for a month tops.

User Tag List