Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Seattle Goes for the Gold

Seems the peaceful protesters showed up at SPD Chief Carmen Best's house recently.

Oddly enough she lives in a different county than the great city of Seattle resides. A county that this is somewhat less tolerant of shenanigans. Her neighbors more or less blocked the protesters from getting all the way to her house.

She denounced protesters going to the private residences of politicians etc. (I would agree with this) and in the same breath mentioned how the police murdered George Floyd. (Didn't realize they had already been prosecuted otherwise I thought the word allegedly had to be used).

I don't have great sympathy for her working for the puppet masters that is the PC political scene in Seattle. I'm just curious how much her ethnicity and gender had to do with a decision for her to become police chief? And if those things did factor in she must be aware of it. (She's obviously an intelligent experienced person to even be considered for the job however that would also imply that she's intelligent enough to understand the political climate within which she operates.).

It was likely the mayor and city council who allowed the police precinct to be overrun in the chop zone. I doubt Chief Best would have chosen that. However from the outside if you only hang out with idiots what does that make you?

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Seems the peaceful protesters showed up at SPD Chief Carmen Best's house recently.

Oddly enough she lives in a different county than the great city of Seattle resides. A county that this is somewhat less tolerant of shenanigans. Her neighbors more or less blocked the protesters from getting all the way to her house.

She denounced protesters going to the private residences of politicians etc. (I would agree with this) and in the same breath mentioned how the police murdered George Floyd. (Didn't realize they had already been prosecuted otherwise I thought the word allegedly had to be used).

I don't have great sympathy for her working for the puppet masters that is the PC political scene in Seattle. I'm just curious how much her ethnicity and gender had to do with a decision for her to become police chief? And if those things did factor in she must be aware of it. (She's obviously an intelligent experienced person to even be considered for the job however that would also imply that she's intelligent enough to understand the political climate within which she operates.).

It was likely the mayor and city council who allowed the police precinct to be overrun in the chop zone. I doubt Chief Best would have chosen that. However from the outside if you only hang out with idiots what does that make you?
    Chief Best is actually pretty squared away.

Before she came along, Seattle was doing the typical big-city thing of hiring chiefs who were slithering up the ladder by moving from city to city every few years. Chief Best spent her entire career with the Seattle PD. It was a surprise and a relief when she got hired, and I think that her tenure has brought stability to the department in the wake of a lengthy period of DoJ oversight and some other issues.

Seattle's puppet masters are naive in the extreme, and the blame for CHAZ/CHOP purely theirs. Chief Best was NOT on board with any of that, and there was no small amount of friction between her and the City Council and the Mayor as a result. But when Mayor Durkan's summer of love turned into Altamont, it was pretty clear that the Chief had been right. Even the City Council and the Mayor can see that it's a bad idea to come after her until a lot of this stuff dies down, but once it does they'll probably try it.

With any luck, she'll turn political martyrdom into a couple of terms in the Governor's Mansion.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    I'm just curious how much her ethnicity and gender had to do with a decision for her to become police chief?
    Far less than the next Democrat VP candidate, it appears.

From what little I've seen of Chief Best, she seems way above my expectations for a Seattle Chief.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Far less than the next Democrat VP candidate, it appears.

From what little I've seen of Chief Best, she seems way above my expectations for a Seattle Chief.
    Is that a low bar or a high bar?

Serious question as I know nothing about Seattle policing.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Chief Best is actually pretty squared away.

Before she came along, Seattle was doing the typical big-city thing of hiring chiefs who were slithering up the ladder by moving from city to city every few years. Chief Best spent her entire career with the Seattle PD. It was a surprise and a relief when she got hired, and I think that her tenure has brought stability to the department in the wake of a lengthy period of DoJ oversight and some other issues.

Seattle's puppet masters are naive in the extreme, and the blame for CHAZ/CHOP purely theirs. Chief Best was NOT on board with any of that, and there was no small amount of friction between her and the City Council and the Mayor as a result. But when Mayor Durkan's summer of love turned into Altamont, it was pretty clear that the Chief had been right. Even the City Council and the Mayor can see that it's a bad idea to come after her until a lot of this stuff dies down, but once it does they'll probably try it.

With any luck, she'll turn political martyrdom into a couple of terms in the Governor's Mansion.

Okie John
    Snohomish county has some backwater areas where protesting on someones property might be a real bad move. It isn't exactly Seattle or even King County. I don't know where she lives but it might be a little less forgiving.

I had a few people threaten to shoot me and I wasn't even on their property. They just don't like strangers I guess.

Best isn't going to make it in Seattle as a police chief. She might however do well for herself in some other city or possibly as a sheriff in another county. A run for WA governor might not be a bad idea either.
    Last edited by Borderland; 08-04-2020 at 10:51 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post

I also know little about Seattle policing. I would have expected their Top COP to be more about demonstrating Wokeness than upholding the law. Does not seem to be the case with Chief Best, based on some sound bytes and a few articles read. But honestly, I'm far removed from knowing anything useful about Seattle.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post

The SPD is solid and has done very good work for a long time.

The bar for the chief is a function of a city beset with elected fools and whiny citizens who don't know how good they've got it. It's been lower than the department deserves for a very long time.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

This idea of Best running for governor really makes my tail wag. For a variety of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    The SPD is solid and has done very good work for a long time.

The bar for the chief is a function of a city beset with elected fools and whiny citizens who don't know how good they've got it. It's been lower than the department deserves for a very long time.

Okie John
    Seattle PD has had some issues with race related policing. That was about 10 years ago and they got that worked out according to a judge who was overseeing that. I haven't heard anything negative about the SPD recently until the riots started. The negative comments were not enough action against rioters, not racial bias or using too much force.

I'm thinking if the council and the mayor don't wise up the next riot will likely destroy entire city blocks and some people are going to be kilt in da streetz. Just a guess.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List