Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a 40 cal

I recommend both the HK P30 and the VP40. Both are exceptionally well made, accurate and very durable and reliable. While I like my Gen4 Glock G22, the HK's are dialed in right out of the box, and also offer the opportunity to effectively individually tailor the gun to you, via the 3 backstaps and 6 side panels supplied with each pistol.

The VP40 provides what Glock is now getting to with the upcoming Gen5 G22-a heavier-slided .40, which very effectively tames recoil. A nice plus for the VP is that the frames on the VP9 and VP40 are literally identical, which means that if you choose a VP40, in the future you couls get, say, the VP9 longslide kit, and immediately have a 2-caliber VP. Reputedly the .40 magazines also work with 9mm cartridges, but I haven't personally verified that, so if you go that route, I'd also plan on getting 9mm magazines.

The P30 is essentially an upgraded USP, with improved ergonomics. In .40 it uses a buffered RSA in combination with a slide that has increased mass added internally, so its exterior dimensions are identical to those of its 9mm bretheren. Mine is a LEM L model, which I'm exceptionally pleased with, but LEM is a bit of an acquired taste for many, but there are excellent DA/SA variants.

A year or so back, HK decided to dial back P30 prices, so they're now much more competitive price-wise with their competition, and the VPs are a bit lower in price as well.

Additionally, I recommend getting the LE models of either the VP or P30 (available commercially) which come with 3 magazines and Meprolight tritium nightsights at an exceptional price.

The .40 is a credible cartridge, and as in previous ammunition shortages, again I see .40 being available in quantity and at reasonable prices, whill 9mm and .45 ACP is virtually unobtanium.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I recommend both the HK P30 and the VP40. Both are exceptionally well made, accurate and very durable and reliable. While I like my Gen4 Glock G22, the HK's are dialed in right out of the box, and also offer the opportunity to effectively individually tailor the gun to you, via the 3 backstaps and 6 side panels supplied with each pistol.

The VP40 provides what Glock is now getting to with the upcoming Gen5 G22-a heavier-slided .40, which very effectively tames recoil. A nice plus for the VP is that the frames on the VP9 and VP40 are literally identical, which means that if you choose a VP40, in the future you couls get, say, the VP9 longslide kit, and immediately have a 2-caliber VP. Reputedly the .40 magazines also work with 9mm cartridges, but I haven't personally verified that, so if you go that route, I'd also plan on getting 9mm magazines.

The P30 is essentially an upgraded USP, with improved ergonomics. In .40 it uses a buffered RSA in combination with a slide that has increased mass added internally, so its exterior dimensions are identical to those of its 9mm bretheren. Mine is a LEM L model, which I'm exceptionally pleased with, but LEM is a bit of an acquired taste for many, but there are excellent DA/SA variants.

A year or so back, HK decided to dial back P30 prices, so they're now much more competitive price-wise with their competition, and the VPs are a bit lower in price as well.

Additionally, I recommend getting the LE models of either the VP or P30 (available commercially) which come with 3 magazines and Meprolight tritium nightsights at an exceptional price.

The .40 is a credible cartridge, and as in previous ammunition shortages, again I see .40 being available in quantity and at reasonable prices, whill 9mm and .45 ACP is virtually unobtanium.

Best, Jon
    I totally agree with the P30. Mine is sa/da w/ safety. It can be loaded, chambered and unloaded without disengaging the safety. I load it, holster it, then flick off the safety and gtg.
    Makes loading/unloading much safer in the home.

I also have a VP9. It's great at the range but seems much less safe. I feel like I'm handling a grenade with pin removed.

Also have an HK45. Great pistol, just a little much to conceal. I reload for it, so cost isn't a factor.

I have thousands of rounds in these three, and NOT 1 SINGLE MALFUNCTION!

I've also had a Beretta Cougar an FN FNS and HK USPc in .40.
    I prefer the P30.

Another vote for the USP40. It’s my only 40 left.

My only experience with the .40 has been with sig's 229/226, USP/P2000, and Glocks. You could not pay me to own a .40 Glock.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post
    A few months ago, but they still had some 3-4 weeks ago when I went in to get a shirt for work.
    That was when the riots triggered panic buying part 2.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I’ve heard that. Any idea why? Seems like a closer fit than 9mm. Maybe just maturity of magazine designs?
    Round is too short.

Were I looking for a .40 the HK USP would be my choice. But, not if I could find a Browning HP in .40 ... I already have my alternate caliber; a Colt government in .38 super auto, a close cousin of the 9 x 19. Recently I was looking for ammo online, 9mm, but no joy. Then I remembered my Super and that ammo was in stock and for the old prices so... click click...

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I keep looking at the police trade-in 3rd-gen S&Ws that keep popping up from time to time.

But then I think of how much it'll cost to get in a number of extra mags (10 round limit) and think... nah.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I keep looking at the police trade-in 3rd-gen S&Ws that keep popping up from time to time.

But then I think of how much it'll cost to get in a number of extra mags (10 round limit) and think... nah.
    I remember when SW mags were on line for $10 a pop everywhere. Looooong ago.

Tam recently posted on “view from the Porch” her Smith 4046 (all steel DAO). It gave me an itch for one.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

CZ 75 SP-01.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List