Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a 40 cal

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    There have been lots of .40 M&P LE trades ins on the market that are a good deal and a good pistol.
    I bought a ex-Milwaukee PD M&P40 in good shape with night sights and 3 mags for $279 at a local police supply store.

I had a gen 1 M&P 40 full size. About 2 or 3 times a box, I would get a dead trigger. The sear spring was not strong enough to hold, and under recoil, the sear would bounce out of place. I called smith, and they knew exactly what the problem was, and fixed it for free. My only concern is, how many of those gen 1s are floating around that will experience “sear bounce”, and the prior owner never shot it enough to experience it. Probably not a major issue, but I thought I would mention it.
    Oh, a factory 9mm barrel will drop right in a 40 and run pretty well. So cheap practice ammo. I got 9mm barrel for $85 back when I had the gen1 40.

I also found the gen 1 trigger to be mush, with a mush reset. Traded it off. Not a bad pistol, but not my favorite.

Then a year or so ago, I shot a 2.0. Miles better trigger, miles better grip texture, so I grabbed one in 9mm. The 2.0 cost more, but I like it better. By the time you find a 1.0 and drop an apex trigger in, you are in the price range of a new 2.0....
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

I'll admit that I picked up few 40 cal 229's when they were cheap. I remember people paying in the $800 - $900 range for these while I was in the police academy. I couldn't pass on them at 350ish.

Name:  20200627-141431-17816.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  61.2 KB

Whatever you do buy used.

When things calm down people will dump their forties again.

A year ago local gun shops wouldn't even take a 40 in trade.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post
    I bought a ex-Milwaukee PD M&P40 in good shape with night sights and 3 mags for $279 at a local police supply store.
    How long ago ?

Not picking on you in particular but the time of cheap police surplus .40 cals ended 4 months ago.

They might return in a few months if Trump wins, COVID wanes etc but right now they are non-existent.
    Last edited by HCM; 08-01-2020 at 12:23 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I would find a .40 1911 rather handy to have around but they are getting few and far between. In their heyday I don't think I was paying much attention to 1911 trends in general.
    Getting 1911s in .40 to run reliably is a challenge. Uncommon guns are uncommon for a reason.
    Last edited by HCM; 08-01-2020 at 12:24 AM.

One other nice thing about the P229/P226 in 40 is that if you want to change to 357Sig, all you need is a barrel for $123.00 . . . bought some of the CDNN CPO's myself before thing went insane . . . they we "Like new CPO" as described fkr $499.00 . . . gone now though, but a good source.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    How long ago ?

Not picking on you in particular but the time of cheap police surplus .40 cals ended 4 months ago.

They might return in a few months if Trump wins, COVID wanes etc but right now they are non-existent.
    A few months ago, but they still had some 3-4 weeks ago when I went in to get a shirt for work.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Getting 1911s in .40 to run reliably is a challenge. Uncommon guns are uncommon for a reason.
    I’ve heard that. Any idea why? Seems like a closer fit than 9mm. Maybe just maturity of magazine designs?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    To be an odd one out, a CZ97 in .45 acp is at the upper end of your price range, but I am seeing them in shops.
    And while a bit spendy, I am seeing .45acp on shelves.
    Or get the 97 in 10mm from the Custom shop! It's the full Monty.😁

User Tag List