Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a 40 cal

HK would be my first choice, VP40, P30/P30L or USP/USPc. SIG SP2022 and P229 would be close runner ups.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

If you can wait a few months, (possibly October) Glock will be releasing its redesigned 40 S&W in the Gen 5 platform. It will have a thicker and heaver slide, which should make it more durable. I would like the Gen5 G23 or G22.

The PX4 full size F .40 is a good consideration. I have put thousands of rounds on these .40s and am impressed. For what you mentioned (range/home defense, etc.) it could be perfect. We have a PX4 .40 full size for home defense.

The PX4 .40 has proven to be 100% reliable with different brands of ammo under many different conditions. With a capacity of 14 +1 or 17 +1 it can serve well. Recoil is less than other .40s because of the rotating barrel design and buffer system. The buffer delivers recoil far back into the grip frame, reducing muzzle flip. The barrel does not tilt, decreasing muzzle flip and the barrel and slide stay locked together longer than other pistols (increasing accuracy). The barrel and slide are also locked together during cycling of the slide. The PX4 has a reputation for being able to keep working, even with broken parts and is designed to run with a broken or missing extractor, etc.. Beretta says that the PX4 has less moving parts and so less to break or go wrong. I have 200,000+ rounds on PX4s and agree with that assessment.

Advantages IMO: The slide mounted safety offers a positive safe decocking. It actually turns the firing pin plunger away so that no energy from the hammer fall gets to the firing pin. It makes it mechanically impossible for it to discharge. You don't have to deactivate the safety to chamber a round. This also allows for another advantage. The hammer rests all the way down. The hammer does not spring back a little as some (Sig). This protects the rear of the slide (firing pin) from getting lint, dust or debris between the hammer and the area to strike for ignition. It protects its own surface.

The slide mounted safety gets negative feedback from some folks. I see it as an advantage in being able to get my grip higher on the frame for positive gripping. I also don't need to release my grip or open the support hand to decock.

Some find the safety levers a little sharp if they are not used to where and how to grip while racking, but that would not be a problem for your described intended use (if I understand correctly). As a home defense pistol it would be left on Safe. When the pistol is on Safe the levers are out of the way and not sharp. Since you plan to leave it stock... not a problem.

If you ever decide to use it more and want options later on, it has 4 different lever styles, 2 modes of fire (type F or G), 3 different mag release options, different slide catch options, trigger options, etc. Great left stock and super potential for modifications later. It has a good picatinny rail for lights, lasers, bayonets or anything you like.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 07-31-2020 at 12:13 PM.

I like the M&P 2.0 Compact that I purchased a few months ago. I got it in anticipation of a situation like we're seeing today - and saw back in 2009 - where 9mm ammo became scarce and very expensive, but .40 was much less affected by events; at least, in this area. I also intend to acquire a 9mm conversion barrel for this gun. In a modest amount of shooting the gun has been reliable and not unpleasant to shoot. It's even better when I use full size mags with the spacer (the gun came with two). The price was decent for a new gun, though I doubt that's the case now.

The only other .40 I have shot is a Browning HP, which is not a serious option.

In a hammer fired gun, I'd look at the P226 or P229, closely followed by any HK. You can find ugly but gently used LE trade in 226/229s for under $400 pretty much anywhere. HKs are going to go twice that, or darned near.

In strikers, the only .40 I'd look at is the M&P full size. I've owned and sold any number of Glocks in .40, and find them marginal at just about everything. If you HAVE to get a Glock in .40, I'd go with the G22, and no smaller.

I recently picked up a CPO Sig p229 in .40 from CDNN Sports that would fit very nicely in your price range (I think they may currently be out of stock). I’ve never been much of a fan of shooting .40 out of polymer framed striker fired pistols (I have a Glock 23 and M&P .40), but this p229 really does a good job of taming the recoil of the round. It was actually enjoyable.

As an adamant hater of the .40 S&W round, I will say that, in my experience, ammunition selection plays almost as big a part in "comfort" of the caliber as platform. We're issued P229Rs, and even in that "designed for the round, heavy metal framed" pistol, our 155gr JHP ammo is NOT fun to shoot. I've fired "duty" level 180gr ammo through a friend's G23, and it's MUCH more pleasant. The "mid load" 165s are almost as mild as 9mms, and, in heavy guns built for .40, are an absolute pussy cat to shoot.

The VP40 is a cracking pistol, with a slightly larger slide than its 9mm sibling.

Like anything they may be hard to find now but I would recommend a M&P "1.0" full size. I was able to pick up a brand new one for $319 earlier this year before the pandemic started.

A lot of shops were cutting prices to clear inventory on the old models. Probably hard to find now like anything else.

My example is reliable and comfortable (for a .40) to shoot. I've been carrying various issued Glock 22s for a while and I definitely prefer the M&P for a striker fired gun in the caliber.

SA/DA: SIG SP2022 decocker, reliable, affordable
    Striker: SIG P320 sweet trigger, reliable, vast array of aftermarket options, did I mention it has a sweet trigger?

User Tag List