Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a 40 cal

Recommendations for a 40 cal

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    And while a bit spendy, I am seeing .45acp on shelves.
    That is one consideration in my looking beyond the 9!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would find a .40 1911 rather handy to have around but they are getting few and far between. In their heyday I don't think I was paying much attention to 1911 trends in general.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I will agree with most on here. The M&P is excellent in 40. Also the P226 & P229 40SW can be found used at great prices. 40 is a great round for sure and can be found sometimes when other rounds (9 & 45) cant.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I carried the .40 P229/P226 for several years and marginally preferred the P226. I didn't get rid of either of them when we transitioned to 9mm. I think they tamp the recoil down pretty well and are comfortable to shoot for long training/practice days. Much more so then the Glock 22, at least.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

My experience with my Glock 23 has been great, it's a fine pistol in every way. G22 is probably great too, never owned one.

Sportsman's outdoor Superstore has Sig .40's and some .45's in stock for reasonable prices with free shipping and Recoil Gunworks has 226 .40 mags. I have ordered from both companies and been happy. Sportsman's is backed up with orders though. Takes about 10 days to ship a firearm.

I'm tempted to grab me a .40 P226r for $420 https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/172711
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roadking View Post
    Looking for recommendations for a 40 cal. I’m expanding my collection with a new caliber (presently have only 9mm’s) and the 40 seems to be a good close cousin. Also open to 45’s, but the ammo is lower cost for a 40. This would be for home defense and the range, so a full sized pistol is what I’m looking for. Would prefer something in the $400-$700 range. Open to either DA/SA or striker fired. And looking for something stock. Not looking for after market triggers and such.

Please don’t just say a brand. Tell me a model. And say why you recommend that one.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    what do you usually shoot/carry? I'd go with the best .40 cal model from the same brand/model family. e.g. I mostly shoot 9mm Glocks, picked up a G4 Glock 35 a while ago for basically exactly the situation we are in now. I dont have a 34, but it is close enough, and the 35 handles .40 recoil very well IMO.

I also had a G4G23 and I cannot recommend that gun at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    what do you usually shoot/carry? I'd go with the best .40 cal model from the same brand/model family. e.g. I mostly shoot 9mm Glocks, picked up a G4 Glock 35 a while ago for basically exactly the situation we are in now. I dont have a 34, but it is close enough, and the 35 handles .40 recoil very well IMO.

I also had a G4G23 and I cannot recommend that gun at all.
    Thanks. Carry is a Hellcat, so that’s not much help. The other is a VP9SK. So the VP40 is on the table but I want to know what else is out there...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M&P full size and or G22.

I'll concur with the P229 recommendation of you can find one of the used or factory refurbished ones that have been on the market lately, and also toss out a suggestion to consider a PX4 compact in 40. I snagged one from a dealer in Gunbroker just shortly before the current panic for a blowout inventory clearing price. Reading all the love on this forum had me really wanting to try a PX4, and the substantial cost difference in the 40 made it easy to justify. It is pretty soft shooting for a 40, I'd say comparable to the 229.

User Tag List