Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a 40 cal

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    The M&P40 was built to be a .40 as well I believe.
    I believe that is correct. I don't own one but I've fired one and was impressed with it.

2 -3 months ago most gun stores could not give them away. Now, I think you might be a little late, prices are way up. If you can find one, don't spend to much, they will go back down in price, one day.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I’ve got a lot of rounds down range and time on my belt with the USP Compact LEM in .40. It is A solid gun that will suit your needs well. I would also extend the recommendation to the full sized USP but don’t really see what they offer that the excellent compact model does not. Gadfly also mentioned the LE trade in Sig229s which are extremely well priced and very good guns. The mentioned SP2022 is also a solid pistol but with P229 trade ins being the price the are I would grow with them as accessories are far more available. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend any of these pistols.

All that said - why do you want a .40? The fact that there are so many .40 trade ins on the market is because after 20 years - most people in the know just don’t consider the “juice worth the squeeze.” You are looking at spending money on a gun that recoils more and holds less in exchange for a negligible terminal ballistic advantage.

Also what kind of 9mm do you shoot? Do you like that and are you good with it? If you are still hell bent on a 40, then I would get a 40 caliber version of what you have in 9mm.

If you just want something different to add variety to your sport, then just buy whatever tickles your fancy.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    The M&P40 was built to be a .40 as well I believe.
    As was the P229.

This same question was posed I think about a year or maybe two years ago. Right now isn't the best time to buy but .40's are still the easiest to find.

In the other thread the ones I remember getting suggested and that I would certainly agree with based on my research and/or personal experience, more-or-less in order of my personal recommendations:

Smith M&P40, especially the 2.0 but even the first gen. Guns and mags are probably the least expensive of anything that you'll hear suggested. Thanks to the police surplus market.

Sig P226/229 again, lots of trade-in guns and mags out there for very reasonable prices.

HK USP. The most durable handgun around.

Smith 4006, especially a CHP edition TSW. It's like a really heavy Beretta 96G vertec. But that weight soaks up recoil like a champ.

Gen 4 Glock 35 or 22, in that order. Glock would be my last pick although right now I have two G22 gen 4s and sold off the M&P40's. Not long ago I decided to streamline my collection and remove some of the variety so the Glocks stayed and the M&Ps got sold only for the sake of commonality. Right before COVID and race riots and every other crazy thing I got a second Glock 22 for less than $300 and used mags were $10. Used mags are still only $13 right now.

Honorable mention to the PX4, Ruger P944, Smith SD40, a Glock 20 with a .40 conversion barrel and Smith/Ruger 10mm revolvers with moon clips. Ruger also makes a Blackhawk in 10mm with an extra .40 cylinder.

I feel like I'm forgetting something but I'm sure it's not as good as anything I already mentioned.

Ones to avoid would be the Beretta 96 with the possible exception of the 96A1 and pre-gen 4 Glocks. Supposedly the 96A1 is more durable but I haven't been able to find reports from anyone that's put one through it's paces. The earlier gen Glocks were know to have problems although I would imagine the ones that were going to fail catastrophicly have probably already done so.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

HK USP Fullsize, Expert, or Tactical....hands down.

I'd say go find yourself a police trade-in Glock 22, SIG P226 or P229 for $300, but that's not really applicable in the current environment. The panic buying on pistols this year is pretty remarkable, and all the police trade-in 40s were ate up like candy.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by roadking View Post
    Looking for recommendations for a 40 cal. I’m expanding my collection with a new caliber (presently have only 9mm’s) and the 40 seems to be a good close cousin. Also open to 45’s, but the ammo is lower cost for a 40. This would be for home defense and the range, so a full sized pistol is what I’m looking for. Would prefer something in the $400-$700 range. Open to either DA/SA or striker fired. And looking for something stock. Not looking for after market triggers and such.

Please don’t just say a brand. Tell me a model. And say why you recommend that one.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For serious use a .40 or 45 cal version of the 9mm you normally shoot.

If you just want something different buy something designed as a .40.

As noted you missed the boat on cheap .40 cal police trade ins.

Having recently cleaned the cob webs off my P229 to let a friend try it out, I’m reminded of what a darn good gun it is. Well, except for the slide stop location.

Thanks, everyone. I know this isn’t the best time to be buying. And I’m not in a hurry so I can be patient. Right now, I’m trying to learn and get some ideas. My 9mm is a VP9SK. Loved the VP9 so I got one I could carry. The 40 wont be a CCW firearm so my thoughts were to get a VP40 full size. But rather that just rush to a decision, I wanted to hear what else is out there. I’ve heard tons good about the USP platform. And I like the M&P 9 2.0 (so I suspect the 40 would be great too). The Sigs are interesting and bear further investigating. I also saw the PX4 comment. I’ve heard about some issues with them, but those might be anecdotal. Not sure yet. Again, thanks! Keep them coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be an odd one out, a CZ97 in .45 acp is at the upper end of your price range, but I am seeing them in shops.
    And while a bit spendy, I am seeing .45acp on shelves.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List