Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a 40 cal

Recommendations for a 40 cal

Looking for recommendations for a 40 cal. I’m expanding my collection with a new caliber (presently have only 9mm’s) and the 40 seems to be a good close cousin. Also open to 45’s, but the ammo is lower cost for a 40. This would be for home defense and the range, so a full sized pistol is what I’m looking for. Would prefer something in the $400-$700 range. Open to either DA/SA or striker fired. And looking for something stock. Not looking for after market triggers and such.

Please don’t just say a brand. Tell me a model. And say why you recommend that one.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HK USP40 full size, DA/SA or LEM whichever trigger you favor. It is very accurate, relatively inexpensive on the used gun market (at least before this crazyness), and the least recoil and muzzle flip of any .40 I have fired this side of an double stack racegun. It was designed around the cartridge.

I'll take a whack at it...please know that I've only been shooting and carrying for 5 years, so I am still a noob.

My suggestion is Sig SP2022 in .40. It is my current EDC and I own two. Originally designed for .40 cal, so it is not a souped up or hardened 9mm. Adopted by French and some other European Mil and LE, they have such a great record for reliability that they are now considered a "sleeper" and "boring" pistol. Not a great deal of aftermarket available, though magazines have been fairly easy to get, and while I haven't done it, I understand that most P series after market sights are compatible.

While it is a DA/SA gun, even I can shoot it with relative ease and accuracy. I should also say that for most of my time I have been carrying a P320 in 9mm, I have been on the SP2022 for a little over a year, thanks to the P320 issues. Initially, I was going to also acquire a couple of SP2022's in 9mm, but the .40 has been so accomodating, that I now think I will probably spend the money on ammo instead. Also, while I am (finally) sending in my P320's for the upgrade, I am strongly considering just staying on the SP2022 for the future.

As with everything from me, my opinion is worth what you paid for it, but at a common price of just $500 or below for the SP2022 in .40 with the usual two magazines, it is a great pistol.

Best of luck and fun in your search!

If not the 2022(my edc)then, the px4(my other edc). They were both built with the 40 in mind.

The market is awash in used 229s. Under $400 for gun designed around the .40 round. Used mags are $10-15...
    I am partial to the DAK variant, but I am weird.

Tons of used Glock 22s. The gen 4 tend to run better than the 3 due to to dual recoil spring set up. And 22 runs better than the 23 from what I have seen. Still, the 22/23 were not designed for the .40, they merely shoe horned the round into a 9mm pistol. So they are cheap, but that dog may have some fleas. My gen 4 has run fine, but my gen 3 broke locking block pins.

Berettas in.40 need to be a Brigadier slide or a storm. The regular 96 tend to eat locking blocks and crack slides (hence the need for a brig slide)

As mentioned above, HKs in .40 tend to run. USPc, USP, P2000 all worked well for us in .40.

Just my .02 cents
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

There have been lots of .40 M&P LE trades ins on the market that are a good deal and a good pistol.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    HK USP40 full size, DA/SA or LEM whichever trigger you favor. It is very accurate, relatively inexpensive on the used gun market (at least before this crazyness), and the least recoil and muzzle flip of any .40 I have fired this side of an double stack racegun. It was designed around the cartridge.
    That's what I opened the thread to say. I picked mine up used a few years ago for a smokin' price. It works very well for me. I have gotten rid of all my other .40s except the USP Compact, which I should hurry up and sell so I can buy another USP9c when prices come back down.

I have put a few rounds downrange with an M11-A1 (railless P229 in 9mm) and it is noticeably harder on the hands than a P226. I probably wouldn't like it much in .40. Classic Sigs don't have the durability of a USP, which is likely to be exacerbated with .40 Short & Weak.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

HK USP: Full size, Tactical, Expert, built to be a.40 to begin with, not a bored out 9mm.

I’m partial to the M&P40. I’ve been issued one and been an armorer on them since 2006. I’m currently using an M&P40 2.0C off duty.

The M&P40 was built to be a .40 as well I believe.

User Tag List