View Poll Results: Help me spend ~$1100 on a 1911!

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • New Dan Wesson Vigil 9mm factory blem

29 44.62%
  • Used TRP Operator

15 23.08%
  • New Range Officer Operator 9mm

5 7.69%
  • New Range Officer Operator .45

6 9.23%
  • New Ronin

0 0%
  • Mods here are shit

6 9.23%
  • Posters here are shit

4 6.15%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me spend ~$1100 on a 1911!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Why do I have to choose between mods being shit and posters being shit?
    It’s the Sophie’s Choice of P-F...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    My recommendation is to take your time and shop for "pre-owned" deals; it is what I do. There are some great pistols out there that sold new for more than $1500 that can be found for under $1000 if you are patient. At least until the great scare of 2020. Waiting will bring demand back to earth and deals can then be found. If you can stretch to $1500, then pistols from Springfield Armory's Custom Shop (SACS) are in reach, but there are great deals around the $1100 mark. My personal favorites are the STI single-stack pistols, especially Spartan (should sell for less than $700), Trojan (about $1000), and Lawman (best deal I found was $850). All three were available in 9x19, all are out of production, and all are still covered by STI/Staccato's lifetime warranty. DW and S&W's 1911s are also a good deal on the used market.

This Dan Wesson may be of interest for $1150 shipped (I bet it can be had for $1100 shipped) as it sold new for closer to $2000. It is a lot more pistol than any standard SA pistol. It even has a rail. https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/...-price.101669/
    I agree. Shopping around on the used market can yield some nice, unmolested pistols. That is how I picked up my Les Baer.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

My recommendation is to take your time and shop for "pre-owned" deals; it is what I do. There are some great pistols out there that sold new for more than $1500 that can be found for under $1000 if you are patient. At least until the great scare of 2020. Waiting will bring demand back to earth and deals can then be found. If you can stretch to $1500, then pistols from Springfield Armory's Custom Shop (SACS) are in reach, but there are great deals around the $1100 mark. My personal favorites are the STI single-stack pistols, especially Spartan (should sell for less than $700), Trojan (about $1000), and Lawman (best deal I found was $850). All three were available in 9x19, all are out of production, and all are still covered by STI/Staccato's lifetime warranty. DW and S&W's 1911s are also a good deal on the used market.

This Dan Wesson may be of interest for $1150 shipped (I bet it can be had for $1100 shipped) as it sold new for closer to $2000. It is a lot more pistol than any standard SA pistol. It even has a rail. https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/...-price.101669/
    Lol I just PM’d that to the OP, serves me right for not reading the thread first

It's down to $1115 now.

I love my Dan Wessons. Just wish I had more of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichiban View Post
    It's down to $1115 now.

I love my Dan Wessons. Just wish I had more of them.
    Plus $35 shipping for a total of $1150.

Site Supporter
    DW blem in .45.

SF LB Operator in .45

Thanks everyone for the thoughts, suggestions, votes and PMs. I’ll respond once I get to something with a real keyboard. I’m definitely getting some ideas that might get me to rearrange some purchase priorities.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    purchase priorities.
    Yeah, do you want the top or bottom half of the gun?

J/K lots of solid advice above, but my standard advice is to research/procrastinate until you save up at least $500 more. You will be pleasantly shocked at what you can buy on the used market for $1600. Also what people fail to realize when they buy a cheaper gun, is that they can't buy confidence, so they spend a lot of time and money (ammo) building confidence in the gun. People who wind up with a problematic gun often spend hundreds of dollars on ammo re-vetting the pistol after each round of repair/adjustment, and that could have been spent on a higher grade pistol to begin with.

I've owned TRP's and a Wiley Clapp Colt is the only non-custom 1911 I still own. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either

Pretty sure the Vigil is an alloy frame.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    ...my standard advice is to research/procrastinate until you save up at least $500 more.
    That new Vickers Master Class from Springfield Armory seems like a decent value for $1495...hopefully range reports will be positive. This post was encouraging.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List