Thread: Federal .380 ACP 99GR Hydra-Shok Deep in Vyse Ballistics Gel

Federal .380 ACP 99GR Hydra-Shok Deep in Vyse Ballistics Gel

Test Gun: Ruger LCP
    Barrel length: 2.75 inches.
    Ammunition: Federal .380 ACP 99gr Hydra-Shok Deep.
    Test media: 10% Clear Ballistics Gel.
    Distance: 10 feet.
    Chronograph: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2.
    Five shot velocity average: 873fps
    BB Calibration: 3.5 inches.

https://general-cartridge.com/2020/0...allistics-gel/
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Hammertime
    "I mixed up one block of Vyse ballistics gel using the 10% FBI method and let it sit, in the fridge, for two days and it calibrated to 3.5 inches. Two shots in bare gel and two through heavy clothing covered gel with the Ruger LCP."

14.5" penetration bare gel. For the rest, read the article at OP link.

Thanks for doing this.

Thanks for this testing. If it runs in those guns reliably, I don't see any advantage for my airweight J frame with full wadcutters over this round in an LCP or the G42 as a bug or deep hideout type gun at this point. Even without expansion it gets penetration and has sharp edges. When it expands it does not loose sufficient penetration. When inventories return I will have to get a quantity and do some function testing.

Agreed a .50 cal hole beats a .357 hole in my estimation
    My .380 holds 8+1 vs 5 for a jframe with wadcutters which could provide an edge in some situations too.
    If I can scoop up some of this ammo I’d switch from XTPs

Quote Originally Posted by diananike View Post
    If I can scoop up some of this ammo I’d switch from XTPs
    Same. My wife's P238 is currently fed Hornady or Fiocchi XTP loadings under the theory that, at worst, it will behave as a flat-nosed FMJ. This is the only thing I've seen that looks like a compelling reason to invest in the whole function-test and switch process.

IIRC you get about a 70% or so ROI on expanded ammo due to elasticity. Full wad cutters give nearly 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    IIRC you get about a 70% or so ROI on expanded ammo due to elasticity. Full wad cutters give nearly 100%.
    Yep, expanded JHPs have a Φ (shape factor) of approximately 0.80 whereas full wadcutters have a a full-diameter cutting perimeter such that Φ = 1.00 so long as the wadcutter's leading edge does not deform.

I am also very pleased to see that @5pins has come over to the 'dark-side' and begun using shear-validated 10% concentration gelatin in his tests. It brings his efforts to a whole new level.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Big thanks for doing this test 5pins!

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    The second round’s velocity was 783fps
    Is that a typo or did that bare gel 2nd shot truly read ~100 fps slower than average?

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Big thanks for doing this test 5pins!

Is that a typo or did that bare gel 2nd shot truly read ~100 fps slower than average?
    That was not a typo.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

User Tag List