Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock sights with thin front sight

Glock sights with thin front sight

Hi all. It is time for new sights on my Glocks, as the tritium lamps are all about dead. I installed some Ameriglo Operator sights (GL-147) on my G26 about 10 years ago and really liked them. The front sight on them is 0.125" wide. I've noticed that as my eyes age, I'm able to focus on the narrow front sight blade better than I can on the standard 0.140" wide sights on my other Glocks.

I looked on Ameriglo's website, and it looks like GL-147 has been discontinued. Looks like the GL-146 is the same but has a white outline on the front sight, so I may go that route. I'm also looking at the Spartan Operators (GL-446) - I like the orange outline on the front sight. But I don't see any mention of the front sight being narrow on those. Can anyone confirm the width of the Spartan Operator front sight blade? Anyone aware of any other similar sight options with a thinner front sight?

Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    Hi all. It is time for new sights on my Glocks, as the tritium lamps are all about dead. I installed some Ameriglo Operator sights (GL-147) on my G26 about 10 years ago and really liked them. The front sight on them is 0.125" wide. I've noticed that as my eyes age, I'm able to focus on the narrow front sight blade better than I can on the standard 0.140" wide sights on my other Glocks.

I looked on Ameriglo's website, and it looks like GL-147 has been discontinued. Looks like the GL-146 is the same but has a white outline on the front sight, so I may go that route. I'm also looking at the Spartan Operators (GL-446) - I like the orange outline on the front sight. But I don't see any mention of the front sight being narrow on those. Can anyone confirm the width of the Spartan Operator front sight blade? Anyone aware of any other similar sight options with a thinner front sight?
    The Spartan front should be .140 with a .180 rear notch. These are what I've been using for the past 8 years as my own eyes have aged, and they've treated me well.

I like room in the rear notch, with a big front, more than I like a narrow front. Slow fire results at distance are the same for me, and for close & fast work, you can't lose track of that big orange ball.

You can special order just about any set of sights you'd like from Ameriglo, but you have to call them. I special ordered a special height .125" lumi-green front with the square notch Glock "Bold" rear sight ~three months ago. It will cost you a bit more than finding a set at Brownells etc. I had to wait quite a while to get them, but it was peak 'rona panic time. Took a couple months, and a couple phone calls to show up.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    I like room in the rear notch, with a big front, more than I like a narrow front. Slow fire results at distance are the same for me, and for close & fast work, you can't lose track of that big orange ball.
    That is the direction I have gone. I am at the point where a thin front sight tends to turn into a dark blur, so I tend to keep their width no less than .125" or so.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

I think having some space in the notch around the front sight is what helps me focus. I didn't realize the Spartans had a wider rear notch; I think that should work just as well. I will give them a try. Thanks for the replies!

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    You can special order just about any set of sights you'd like from Ameriglo, but you have to call them. I special ordered a special height .125" lumi-green front with the square notch Glock "Bold" rear sight ~three months ago. It will cost you a bit more than finding a set at Brownells etc. I had to wait quite a while to get them, but it was peak 'rona panic time. Took a couple months, and a couple phone calls to show up.
    Was not aware of this. When you say just about any set of sights, does that include unlisted front sight widths and custom rear notch widths?
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Was not aware of this. When you say just about any set of sights, does that include unlisted front sight widths and custom rear notch widths?
    Mostly, I meant you can mix and match front sight heights/widths and rear sight styles/widths. If they make the sights, but don't offer the specific front/rear combo you are looking for on their website, you can order them separately via a phone call.There is a limit to how thin you can go and still get a tritium insert in the front sight ( I believe .125" is as thin as you can go with Ameriglo). I'm not sure you can specify a notch width that they don't currently make, but its probably worth asking.

In my case, I wanted the square notch of the "Bold" sights that I believe Glock now "owns" the name of, but I wanted a .125" width X .190" high front sight to split the difference between the .200" Gen5 sights, and the .180" Gen 1-4 sights. That rear sight isn't available on their website as a stand alone item, though the front sight is. I also ordered the front sight in the lumi-green (Glock Bolds are orange/red only). Cost was ~$130 for the set... which is a bit more than buying a set of Bolds from someone like GT Distributors etc, but I got exactly what I wanted.

I don't know if a 6-8 week wait is normal, or if I just caught them at a bad time (May/June) with the 'rona panic, Atlanta riots (they are nearby), etc. I did have to call a few times to get updates and tracking info.

Site Supporter
    I have Suarez sights on my duty Glock in a straight eight configuration. I really, really, really like the narrow, serrated front sight in the middle of the wide rear sight. But I like the RMR more....

pat

Ameriglo Hackathorn sight set

I have a Glock 21 that has the Ameriglo Hackathorn sight set, GL-434. The reason I chose them is because of my aging eyes. The wide front sight coupled with a wider than normal rear sight notch works for me. I can pick-up the front sight easily due to the orange outline around the tritium insert. I am well pleased with these sights simply because they work for me. Now I have read where some shooters like a narrow front sight because it doesn't completely cover the target. I guess it is personal preference and the type of shooting one does.

At one time Ameriglo published the front sight width along with the width of the rear sight notch. I found this helpful. Not seeing that now, maybe I am not looking in the right place on the website. Anyway, I like the GL-434.

What about the Trijicon HD XR with the .125 width front blade?

https://www.trijicon.com/products/pr...-glock-pistols

User Tag List