Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Trump Proposes Delaying Election

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Even if he is an effective salesman... I don't want to vote for a salesman. I want to vote for a leader I actually believe in.

Can anyone really say that's DJT?

And before someone responds...no, it wasn't Hilary either. And no, it's not Biden. But it ain't DJT either.
    There’s idealism and there’s reality.
    #RESIST

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    There’s idealism and there’s reality.
    Undoubtedly. I suppose I’m hopeful for a day when reality doesn’t smother the last remaining sparks of idealism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I don't need a leader.

At this point in history I want the best administrator.
    And..THAT...is DJT? Best administrator? Of the courts, I’d agree. He has appointed excellent judges that will probably stop a generation of judicial activism by the left.

Of his cabinet less so...a revolving door series of barely quality or hardly qualified people who in some cases (Betsy DeVos) have been handed positions of power they aren’t remotely qualified for.

Anyway, I don’t have mindless liberal hate for Trump so I’ve probably already over-posted in this thread and will cool it. I think he’s a douchenozzle but he’s still probably better than Joe Biden. Dark days indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I do not care what political policies are supported; a sitting POTUS suggesting elections be delayed for any reason is tantamount to banana republic levels of corruption. Period. End of discussion.

For all of the talk of the reasons for the existence of the Second Amendment to the US Constitution, here it is. Delaying the election serves only to keep POTUS in office longer than the elected term. And that is unconstitutional. No spin can make it right. We the People have voted every four years for President without fail, through wars, economic depressions, and plagues. We will do so in 2020. We must do so.

Then we get to the short-term political aspects of it. Even floating the idea gives credence to Democratic claims that President Trump is not fit for office and is a dictator in disguise. Heck, even Senator McConnell knows this is a train wreck. And who would vote for a second term for a man who wants to extend his first term without the benefit of the election process? I sure will not, and I am nowhere near the left side of the political bell curve. You want President Biden? Because this is how you get him. This is how you lose the swing voters and energize people who otherwise may not vote to vote for your opponent. Because delaying elections is much worse than the People electing President Biden. The country can survive a bad President; it has before (see Grant, Ulysses). It cannot survive losing the ability to pick and choose its leaders.

As per the usual...
    Those that already hated the guy are going to still hate him after this, and shriek and wail on the internet.
    Those that already loved him will continue to love him after this, and shriek and wail on the internet.

The rest of us will show up on voting day, hold our nose, and check the box next to his name.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I do not care what political policies are supported; a sitting POTUS suggesting elections be delayed for any reason is tantamount to banana republic levels of corruption. Period. End of discussion.

For all of the talk of the reasons for the existence of the Second Amendment to the US Constitution, here it is. Delaying the election serves only to keep POTUS in office longer than the elected term. And that is unconstitutional. No spin can make it right. We the People have voted every four years for President without fail, through wars, economic depressions, and plagues. We will do so in 2020. We must do so.

Then we get to the short-term political aspects of it. Even floating the idea gives credence to Democratic claims that President Trump is not fit for office and is a dictator in disguise. Heck, even Senator McConnell knows this is a train wreck. And who would vote for a second term for a man who wants to extend his first term without the benefit of the election process? I sure will not, and I am nowhere near the left side of the political bell curve. You want President Biden? Because this is how you get him. This is how you lose the swing voters and energize people who otherwise may not vote to vote for your opponent. Because delaying elections is much worse than the People electing President Biden. The country can survive a bad President; it has before (see Grant, Ulysses). It cannot survive losing the ability to pick and choose its leaders.
    Trump's been using this shock tactic for 4 years. It got him elected when Fox picked up on the revenue possibilities.

Now it's just trash talk and everyone knows it. The GOP is backing away from it because, as you say, trash talking against the constitution will hurt ones credibility. I find it strange that they just now figured out that they were riding a ghost train.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Possibly unproductive technical question about this here:

What if you changed the voting day, but not the coronation or flying up or whatever that's called? Inauguration? I think I read flying up somewhere, probably the Wall Street Journal.

I mean in theory, could you delay the voting by a month, but still have the Presidential Flying Up on January 20th, I think it is?

I realize this is a pointless interjection of a reasonable compromise, but is there some reason that delaying the election MUST result in a sitting president having a longer term?
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    Possibly unproductive technical question about this here:

What if you changed the voting day, but not the coronation or flying up or whatever that's called? Inauguration? I think I read flying up somewhere, probably the Wall Street Journal.

I mean in theory, could you delay the voting by a month, but still have the Presidential Flying Up on January 20th, I think it is?

I realize this is a pointless interjection of a reasonable compromise, but is there some reason that delaying the election MUST result in a sitting president having a longer term?

Clause 4: Election day

The Congress may determine the Time of chusing [sic] the Electors, and the Day on which they shall give their Votes; which Day shall be the same throughout the United States.

Congress sets a national Election Day. Currently, electors are chosen on the Tuesday following the first Monday in November (the first Tuesday after November 1), in the year before the president's term is to expire. The electors cast their votes on the Monday following the second Wednesday in December (the first Monday after December 12) of that year. Thereafter, the votes are opened and counted by the vice president, as president of the Senate, in a joint session of Congress.
    So it looks like congress can change the date. I don't think the pres has the constitutional power to do that. It might be that he wishes congress to do that but I'm thinking one might as well wish for the WH to be moved to Mar-a-Lago.
    Last edited by Borderland; 07-31-2020 at 08:10 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    So it looks like congress can change the date. I don't think the pres has the constitutional power to do that. It might be that he wishes congress to do that but I'm thinking one might as well wish for the WH to be moved to Mar-a-Lago.
    Yes, Congress can change the date. BUT Article II Section 1 begins with The executive power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his office during the term of four years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same term, be elected, as follows..., so the length of the term cannot change without amending the Constitution. So the answer to the question, as I see it, is yes, the voting could be delayed by a month by an act of Congress without the term being extended. Not that I think that there's any way that will happen, but it would be constitutional.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post

There are a lot of reasons to dislike Donald Trump, but I question the critical thinking of anyone who legitimately believes he is a bad businessman. Prior to 2015, attempting to describe Donald Trump as a failed businessman would have got you laughed out of the room. Now it is somehow taken as Gospel.
    He did ok in the 80s-early90s NYC real estate, but hardly exceptional given a healthy boost from Dad, but then self destructed in Altantic City but lucky for him, his non-stop decade of self-promotion had convinced banks he was a genius and they lent him way too much, and they had no choice but to prop him up because a complete default would have been a massive disaster to them. They did manage to put him on an allowance.

Then no one would lend him money at all. He held on with reduced properties, but many "Trump" properties just paid him a royalty to keep the name. Which is brilliant in a way. No bank had any faith in him, but his brand was worth something. Then he did a bunch of promotions to earn some scratch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QVmAcULPMu4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1zYqFaygkGU

I'm sure that was just to earn a little Big Mac money, because an he is unquestionably awesome businessman, not because this was basically his job now.

Y'know, being a salesman.

He kept this up for over a decade.

Then he got The Apprentice, where he was put on soundstages and he played "formidable businessman."

Then he realized his image had been completely rehabilitated and he sold birtherism because he saw an opportunity. Fox News watchers ate it up like candy.

Y'know, you are right. I started composing this screed with "he's a shit businessman" as an assumed ending point. But that isn't true. If a successful prostitute is a successful businesswoman, Trump is an amazing businessman.

He managed to sell himself as a strong, successful leader. That's amazing.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattper.../#6b7044142a01

Then his through lack of knowledge of what many conservatives hold scared bit him in his fat ass.

Yes I'm gloating. I've been waiting for 3.5 years for him to really shoot himself in both feet.

Not saying Biden is a lock for the Presidency, because I don't think a complete self-destruct on the Dem side can't happen in the next few months either.

If it does, I might question my deep-seated atheism.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 07-31-2020 at 10:11 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List