Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the appeal of fart pipes?

What is the appeal of fart pipes?

A neighbor’s kid installed a fart pipe exhaust on his Mazda 3. It sounds like complete garbage but I’m sure it goes 1 mph faster.

There are some sweet sounding engines, but a Mazda 2.3 through a fart pipe is not one of them.

And before anybody says it, I’m Gen X not a boomer.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Angry

Forget kids, we have retarded adults waking up everyone at night with loud farting exhaust.

Boomer. My wrx exhaust set off car alarms while driving through work's parking lot. Coworkers asked for rides through for giggles. But, that was my race car (autocross) and turbos are more happier w/o back pressure than those non-pressurized (mazda 2.3). And my car won a national championship due, in no small part, to a lot more HP.

There's a fart-canned scion down the street that also has 0 camber up front and LOTS is degrees negative camber in the back. He's not enjoyed our convos on the handling/speed of modern vehicles of which he has no clue and has spent a great deal of money. He has declined my offers for a direct comparison with my 1996 ranger. Fart can on a mazda 2.3 is the same neighborhood.

The fart can group are the equivalent to the "open pipes save lives," peops, imo.

Some 4 cylinder engines just don't sound good with any exhaust, despite being able to put down insane amounts of power for their size.

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    Some 4 cylinder engines just don't sound good with any exhaust, despite being able to put down insane amounts of power for their size.
    Agreed. "That is the most pissed off subaru I've ever heard," was a thing. And true of mine. It was a station wagon that sounded like an exotic. I miss that car.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    A neighbor’s kid installed a fart pipe exhaust on his Mazda 3. It sounds like complete garbage but I’m sure it goes 1 mph faster.

There are some sweet sounding engines, but a Mazda 2.3 through a fart pipe is not one of them.

And before anybody says it, I’m Gen X not a boomer.
    Kids these days don't know the difference between loud and good. Some SfB millenial who drives near my neighborhood had a crappy muffler shop weld press-bent pipe in place of the mufflers on his car. Incredibly obnoxious. Tinnitus is not good, but I almost don't feel sorry for him when I think about his future. I can hear that thing when he's out on the big road most of a mile away.

FWIW, I'm Gen X and actually drive a newer, faster version of the same car. I have better wheels, tires, suspension, brakes, and the better engine with the stock exhaust that came on it. Quiet like a luxury car puttering around, sounds perfect when I put my foot down.

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    Boomer. My wrx exhaust set off car alarms while driving through work's parking lot. Coworkers asked for rides through for giggles.
    Back when I drove a lot of cars with aftermarket exhausts, counting the alarms they set off in a parking garage was something I actually contemplated as a semi-objective metric to evaluate them against each other.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    Agreed. "That is the most pissed off subaru I've ever heard," was a thing. And true of mine. It was a station wagon that sounded like an exotic. I miss that car.
    I had an '07 Forester XT automatic (4EAT) that I purchased new and went total stupid with it at 60k miles. Best pass at New England Dragway as 12.9 @ 108 MPH. The car was a real sleeper, the exhaust not obnoxiously loud but had the deep turbo Subie rumble due to the unequal length headers to the up-pipe.

I miss mine too.

Video I made that depicts the exhaust well. Headphones recommended. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I had an '07 Forester XT automatic (4EAT) that I purchased new and went total stupid with it at 60k miles. Best pass at New England Dragway as 12.9 @ 108 MPH. The car was a real sleeper, the exhaust not obnoxiously loud but had the deep turbo Subie rumble due to the unequal length headers to the up-pipe.

I miss mine too.

YES! That was the car to have!! Mine had a subie scream (like nothing I've heard since) but most had the rumble. I would love to have one of those commuters now.

The power mods were complete by around 65k miles. I drove the car for another fives years to 148k at which point it had a burnt valve and the engine really needed to come out for a rebuild. Of course I was going to cut no corners and when I told my wife I was going to drop another $6k into it, she had a stroke. I ended up selling it at that point. Probably just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    The power mods were complete by around 65k miles. I drove the car for another fives years to 148k at which point it had a burnt valve and the engine really needed to come out for a rebuild. Of course I was going to cut no corners and when I told my wife I was going to drop another $6k into it, she had a stroke. I ended up selling it at that point. Probably just as well.
    Nope, that car was unique. The aftermarket support alone...

User Tag List