Thread: Strip off Aervoe (rattlecan) before new optic mount?

Strip off Aervoe (rattlecan) before new optic mount?

Changing out optics this week on my rattlecan’d AR. should I try to strip the Aervoe off around where the mount clamps on? I remember reading brake cleaner… don’t know if it’s even needed?

I'd painted the rail of an AR and until I stripped the paint, I had problems with mounts not staying tight and shifting POA.

Try acetone and a stiff bristle brush like the M16 toothbrush. Wear gloves & eye protection.

Or, you can also try soaking the affected area overnight with straight Pinesol then scrub with hot water & toothbrush.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 08-02-2020 at 10:44 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

For anyone who finds this in the future, here’s what Andrew from Bobro said that it won’t affect RTZ, at least for his mounts.

I may have the paint on thick though, so I’ll likely follow the suggestions above. :-/

I've used CitriStrip to remove Aervoe from receivers and handguards.

There's some stuff called "Goof Off" that comes in an aerosol can at Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, etc. I've had great success with it and it doesn't seem to hurt anodizing or other finishes.

User Tag List