Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Poli-Sci: Biden picks Kamala Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    None of this is an exact analogy to using Spanglish. But as a monolingual Very White guy (I pronounce the "r"s when I use the epithet "M-Fer") I have learned to be careful about what words I have "privileges" on.
    You and me both, brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    That last sch-word is a new one for me. Neat, and highly descriptive, but I'd probably just mutilate the pronunciation if I tried to add it to my functional vocabulary.
    Lucky for you there is a handy pronunciation guide! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bJzF8_df1R8. Not sure why it didn’t embed I read the handy guide and everything or at least the first thing that turned up in a search.

Oy...
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I apologize for the meme. I can't take it out but if a mod would like to that would be fine by me.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Good and hard.
    I bet he resuscitated her too..

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    If you can boil that down to one word, or an acronym, I think you could coin it.
    Ho?
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    I sm sure it would be something on a par with "Trump is a Russian stooge" or 9/11 was an inside job. The difference would be that crap would not be published in NYT and it wouldn't be the congress investigation about it.
    I think that’s a fantastic point that I am totally going to steal: both sides have offensively stupid conspiracy theories that gain at least a little momentum. The difference is that those notions on the right die on Rush Limbaugh’s lips; on the left they occupy the attention of congress and the media for twelve to eighteen months.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I was talking with a friend tonight, and he said can you believe Biden picked Harris after what she said about him during that debate. My response was, what makes you think Biden remembers that.
    I think she fooled him with the facelift.

Like two years from now, his eyes are going to narrow, and he’ll pause, and lift a finger, and say “it was YOU!”
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I apologize for the meme. I can't take it out but if a mod would like to that would be fine by me.
    Why apologize? The meme brought about valid discussion on political strategy. Some found it offensive. I did not. Hearing the word at school on a daily basis desensitized me a tad. Too, I know the word's different connotations. My one and only concern is that Biden lose, and if avoiding certain terms will help this cause, then I say let's let's avoid them. My stance rates me lower on the moral development scale since my motivation does not address other issues. Let's present our best face, an effort that may require putting some of us in the closet.

I am amused that some conservatives act like they give a shit about how many African Americans that Biden's crime bill or Harris' efforts put in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Lucky for you there is a handy pronunciation guide! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bJzF8_df1R8. Not sure why it didn’t embed I read the handy guide and everything or at least the first thing that turned up in a search.
    Getting down the correct pronunciation for new vocabulary is not my strong suit, or unfamiliar names either, even with a lot of work.

Probably the same affliction I have where I don't really perceive people's accents unless they are particularly strong or someone else points it out. Which was embarrassing when I was first hanging with an Australian friend in college, and an hour in he realized I had no idea he wasn't American. And his accent was pretty obvious after he mentioned it.

Hell, I needed help getting "schmuck" down. But luckily, I had lots of opportunities for tutoring in my youth, given my milieu.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List