Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stuff I learned from Ben Stoeger

This sort of reminds me of early kendo training where one spends a lot of time learning to stand, learning to breathe, learning not to overgrip the sword. Squeezing increases muscle tension which decreases flow.

Stuff I learned from Ben Stoeger

Ben and Hwansik are putting out the best training material I’ve ever seen. Ben’s class was outstanding. Of course, this is a personal thing, but his analytical approach is a good fit for me. It takes a lot of work to implement though.

About grip: It’s interesting that Ben tells some people to grip harder, others to grip more gently, depending on what they need.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My wife made an interesting observation about Ben’s “method,” which is very much like doing a painting by the numbers. Look here, move the dot there, look to the next spot, move the dot, move your eyes to the next movement spot and then move your body there. A stage becomes a series of looks followed by do’s, and in that way it is very manageable. How do you eat an elephant — one bite at a time. You are never worrying about whole arrays or whole stages, just your next look.
    You wife just clarified my understanding of that portion of the class tremendously. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    @GJM was this in a structured class with others or private instruction?

if Ben makes his way back to my area I've considered trying to schedule some 1:1 time
    I would highly recommend this when we have the Post Covid happy time. The class I was in had a full range from MA level shooters to those like myself who were oxygen deprived as children. Although we do the same drills he really works with each individual person.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

About grip: It’s interesting that Ben tells some people to grip harder, others to grip more gently, depending on what they need.
    I think he is changing his approach to relaxing the grip with the strong hand in general. I believe that the groundbreaking development by Hwansik made some difference as well

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I’m curious how did you figure out how to stop the post ignition push? I’m not sure I would be able to do that on demand.
    You shoot doubles. A lot. Ben still does it.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    @GJM was this in a structured class with others or private instruction?

if Ben makes his way back to my area I've considered trying to schedule some 1:1 time
    Scheduled as an eight person class, although due to an illness we only had seven. Lots of personal attention from Ben.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

David S.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    I think he is changing his approach to relaxing the grip with the strong hand in general. I believe that the groundbreaking development by Hwansik made some difference as well
    What was that young shooter's groundbreaking development? I just looked him up to follow on FB and IG now.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I can't speak for him, but He and Hwansik spent a LOT of time on the doubles drill and testing different grip pressures, gripping styles, etc (mainly Hwansik testing different approaches) and watching the movement and the results. Always looking for it to return out of recoil back to zero and effortlessly. They look at the movement in recoil, movement as it returns, does it stop, does it dip, does it move up and down etc. In video you can see your hand or hands tensing up and the muzzle dip etc... they have really just spent a lot of time reviewing people, techniques and generally are just passionate about squeezing out every inch of performance in other people. I hope this helps some.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    What was that young shooter's groundbreaking development? I just looked him up to follow on FB and IG now.
    Last edited by rca90gsx; 07-31-2020 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Spelling

User Tag List