Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Stuff I learned from Ben Stoeger

Kind of reminds of of motorcycle safety class; don't look at the front of the bike or 10ft in front of the bike; point your head and look where you want the bike to go and it will go there.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    A couple years ago, Hwansik made several lectures about recoil management. Those videos are behind the pay wall though. He also developed various drills to work on the recoil control such as measurement drill, and doubles.
    I switched to limited 2 years ago and discovered that I could not shoot my limited guns with the same speed as my production ones. I spent over year and a lot of ammo trying to figure it out. Then I took a class from Hwansik just to address that and spent last winter working on the recoil control only. I can tell that finally I feel like I am getting there. I recently played with my production gun and was shocked how fast and flat I can shoot it now. Also my elbow problems are almost done. As a matter of fact my elbows are better than they ever were since I started seriously practicing 5 years ago. It is a very big deal for me because last summer I couldn't sleep because of the pain. Hwansik told me that his tendinitis was gone as well.
    I like to look at the recoil control as reactivate vs proactive shooting as Ben described it. Reactivate is when you react on your sight. This is old school and what the timmies teach. The problem with that approach is it is too slow. Proactive shooting is when you are able to control (ride) the recoil efficiently. You still see the sights but have no time to react...
    It is not easy to develop those skills. Moreover, you have to maintain them constantly. But this is the difference between just good shooters and the really good ones.
    Thanks!
    Did you figure out why you used to not be able to shoot your limited guns as fast as production? Sounds counterintuitive so an answer has got to be interesting!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Thanks!
    Did you figure out why you used to not be able to shoot your limited guns as fast as production? Sounds counterintuitive so an answer has got to be interesting!
    Because the limited guns are 40SW with substantially more recoil than 9mm. With shadow 2 you can get away with a bad grip, unlike with limited gun shooting 40. Ben addressed that on his recent podcast BTW. Shooting 40sw is more difficult and it teaches you a lot about fundamentals.
    Each time someone is bitching about major scoring, it's because they don't understand what they are talking about. I was one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by rca90gsx View Post
    This is very true! Clusterfrack and cheby have really good information above as well!
    Yup. Apart from the topics we're talking about here there are talk throughs of major matches, interviews with a lot of top shooters (including shooters who are better known in the IPSC world who are thusly not interviewed by American firearms podcasts), drill videos, class videos like the one posted earlier, and you can see the reviews Ben and Hwansik do for the silver members. Plus you get to see Ben and Hwansik's material as they explore new or different concepts in real time VS periodically being exposed to it through a book or class. I've done almost all of the "online subscription for firearms videos" things out there and PSTG has had the most dramatic impact on my shooting by far. Usually I cancel after binge watching for a week or two but there's always enough new stuff on PSTG to make it worthwhile to me.
    Last edited by Eyesquared; 07-31-2020 at 03:13 PM.

David S. Thank you for posting Ben Stoeger's training video I learned a lot. Ben is going onto my shortlist of trainers I want to do some training with. Thanks Again.

User Tag List