Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experience with Glocks and Salt Water?

Experience with Glocks and Salt Water?

I live near the beach and regularly head over for an hour of escape. Two years back I bought a Glock 43 to fit into the pocket of shorts…just because I am a paranoid.
    Leaving the beach, shorts are wet from bathing suit and Glock and spare mag always get a bit damp.
    Getting home: wipe off the ammo, (replace the carry ammo often), brake spray the gun and add lube.

What should I be doing to maintain the Glock around salt water?

I have been to a few Armorer courses-GLOCK, ARs, etc.. Salt water(I’m assuming) is never a good thing for any firearm.
    You have not described your particular piece, but if it has steel sights those sometimes show surface rust first. If the piece has been submerged in salt water, I think it needs to be detail stripped, pasty rinsed with hot water/Gun Scrubber, etc., lightly relubed and reassembled. Submerged, salt water can get into nooks and crannies and be a problem.
    Ammo submerged I would put aside. An Armorer course should be seriously thought about.
    Best of luck

I lived at the beach during the 1990’s, and kept items like this in a ziplock freezer bag. We sailed quite a bit, but items kept in the cabin were generally fine.

Sentry solutions Marine Tuff Spray.

Look that stuff up. Best rust preventative Ive ever came across.

Site Supporter
    My Gen 3 26 with generic (Ameriglo?) sights has been in the surf as well as fresh water sources a bunch of times. Clear. Rinse in fresh water. Dry well. Lube. Wipe with Marine Tuff-Glide. No problems at all. Dunked ammo goes into the range bucket and replaced with fresh.

Marine Tuff Glide and Marine Tuff Spray:
    Are these specific products or generic names? I could not the exact items.
    thx again. jon

Quote Originally Posted by p7fl View Post
    Marine Tuff Glide and Marine Tuff Spray:
    Are these specific products or generic names? I could not the exact items.
    thx again. jon
    Tuf-Glide is applied with a needle applicator, generally. Though you can also use it, (from larger bottles) to replenish Tuf-Cloth. I'm not familiar with the spray version.

https://shop.scopecoat.com/Cleaning-Lubrication_c50.htm
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Customs and Border Protection Air and Marine units are issued the G23 instead of the agency issued P2000 (before the recent switch to the Glock) because of the ability to handle a salt environment better. I'm not aware of any major problems with the Glocks around the boats. I like the idea of detail stripping and very light lube (except in the striker tube. That has to be dry)
    Unless it’s life or death related it’s all bullshit.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Tuf-Glide is applied with a needle applicator, generally. Though you can also use it, (from larger bottles) to replenish Tuf-Cloth. I'm not familiar with the spray version.

https://shop.scopecoat.com/Cleaning-Lubrication_c50.htm
    Here ya go...

https://hexmagstore.com/sentry-marin...and-tuf-cloth/

I've had some salt water fun with Glocks before. In addition to what others have said...

Learn how to properly disassemble your magazines. The magazine springs will rust when exposed to salt water.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List