Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .357 sig ammo that is good to go?

.357 sig ammo that is good to go?

I need to stock up on more ammo for my G31. It's my "Highway Pistol" Things are scarce and there is no .357 Sig ammo on Doc's recommnded list. So .....

What .357 ammo is good to go? The usual go to stuff like Gold Dot, HST, Golden Saber etc? I think the Feds like the 125 gr Gold Dot in thier pisols?

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I need to stock up on more ammo for my G31. It's my "Highway Pistol"
    Name:  lolwat.jpeg
Views: 407
Size:  41.3 KB

I think the Feds like the 125 gr Gold Dot in thier pisols?
    That's true for the two federal agencies that still carry the 357 SIG and are transitioning away from it.....and also pretty much your only solid option for 357 SIG which is carried by stores in any volume.

You picked a real bad time to stock up, but better late than never, I guess. Here's some 357 SIG Gold Dot in stock: https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pisto...e/357-sig-ammo
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    You picked a real bad time to stock up, but better late than never, I guess. Here's some 357 SIG Gold Dot in stock: https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pisto...e/357-sig-ammo
    It certainly is a bad time to stock up. I will probably just get something on back order and wait.

Yes my G31 is my "highway pistol". It's the pistol I have readily accessible in my vehicle when traveling.
    Last edited by 4given; 07-28-2020 at 11:23 AM.

Site Supporter
    The linked 125 Gold Dot was the load of choice of the an agency in metro KC that used it in a Sig p@229 after retiring their .45 Sig P220s.

They have since moved to 9mm Glock. Rationales in no particular order as was explained to me:
    1. hard on the shooter
    2. hard on the gun
    3. cost of the ammo
    4. when it was time to replace the gun, the Glock 9mm with new holster/mags/mag pouches/armorer classes was much cheaper than just a new .357 Sig 229.
    5. QC on the Sigs was a huge step down from the previously issued P220s. This was circa 2010ish when they retired the p220s.
    6. armorer support is night and day easier than with a Sig.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    The linked 125 Gold Dot was the load of choice of the an agency in metro KC that used it in a Sig p@229 after retiring their .45 Sig P220s.

They have since moved to 9mm Glock.
    Thanks for the info.

I carry a G19 and a P365.

Thanks for the info.

I carry a G19 and a P365.
    Why not just have your carry G19 readily available when traveling? You already have ammunition for it. Hopefully you’ve trained with your 9mm’s.

When I would travel cross country, my carry gun (G19) was on my person. I’d toss a smaller 9mm (Shield) that my wife was familiar with in the glove box in the slim chance she had an issue at a gas stop while I was inside the store.

I need to stock up on more ammo for my G31. It's my "Highway Pistol" Things are scarce and there is no .357 Sig ammo on Doc's recommnded list. So ..... What .357 ammo is good to go? The usual go to stuff like Gold Dot, HST, Golden Saber etc? I think the Feds like the 125 gr Gold Dot in thier pisols?
    When I had to support 357 Autos I chose the BHA GDHP (now discontinued), HSTs, and Gold Dots. I forget which Speer sku.

I'd not intentionally choose or allow the caliber again.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    Why not just have your carry G19 readily available when traveling? You already have ammunition for it. Hopefully you’ve trained with your 9mm’s.

When I would travel cross country, my carry gun (G19) was on my person. I’d toss a smaller 9mm (Shield) that my wife was familiar with in the glove box in the slim chance she had an issue at a gas stop while I was inside the store.
    Thanks for the reply!

I have my carry gun on my person when I am in my vehicle also. I keep the G31 in the center console of my pickup for easy and quick access when on the road. I already have carry ammo for the G31 too. I am just running low with about 3 mags worth left.

I have had the G31 for many years have a lot of trigger time with it. I reload so the availability of cheap practice ammo is not an issue. I shoot a little better at longer ranges with the G31 than I do with the G19. It's just nice to have both with me. Not necessary, just nice.

At some point, I will most likely be transitioning to my newly acquired M66-2 4” .357 to fit this role. I just don’t have enough range time with it yet. I like that there are more ammo choices and a longer-range accuracy option shooting single action.

I shoot a little better at longer ranges with the G31 than I do with the G19.
    Why do you think this is? Guns set up the same? What distances? What metrics?

Not trolling you...genuinely curious.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    When I had to support 357 Autos I chose the BHA GDHP (now discontinued), HSTs, and Gold Dots. I forget which Speer sku.

I'd not intentionally choose or allow the caliber again.
    Thanks for the reply.

I wouldn’t buy another either now that I know better.

It’s just that I have had it for a long time and have dies and brass so I can reload for it as inexpensively as I can for 9mm. I can shoot it pretty well and it just needs new carry ammo now and again. I have a .40 S&W barrel for it too just in case. I haven't found a good reason to sell it. They are not that popular so I probably wouldn’t get much for it anyway.
    Last edited by 4given; 07-29-2020 at 10:08 AM.

User Tag List