Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you like or hate about (insert brand)'s AR?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    This is what I would get for a non-NFA upper:

BCM® MK2 BFH 14.5" Mid Length (ENHANCED Light Weight) Upper Receiver Group w/ MCMR-13 Handguard
    https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-mk2-...-13-handguard/

This one is the exact configuration I have had, in a window, ready to hit the “order” button, for a couple of weeks, now. I have two 16” BCM mid-length uppers, but a 14.5”, with a pinned & welded muzzle device, would more-handily fit into a specific storage/security solution I want to use.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    LMT is another company you don't "hear" much about these days in the advent of youtube/instagram marketing. While its cool to hear about all the whizbang cool stuff these new manufacturers are doing, I probably shouldn't forget that there are company's out there that have been probably doing the same thing for years and just haven't marketed themselves as such. I can't remember where I heard it but I thought I remember hearing that LMT was sometimes referred to as "Knights Light" but I am not sure the accuracy of that statement not do I know if it was referring to their ar-15 platform.
    There are only two types of AR manufacturers. Those that rely on Facebook/Instagram/Youtube personalities to sell their guns, and those that don't. The Youtube/Instagram market isn't something they're interested in, according to a LMT rep in a SHOT show interview from the past year or two. They are heavily focused on their Mil contracts. In 5 years time, they only have like 300 posts on Instagram.

Colt doesn't get a lot of love on those platforms either though. When I tell people my favorite AR is my 6933 I get called a Boomer, sometimes by people older than I am.

Site Supporter
    LMT is another company you don't "hear" much about these days in the advent of youtube/instagram marketing. While its cool to hear about all the whizbang cool stuff these new manufacturers are doing, I probably shouldn't forget that there are company's out there that have been probably doing the same thing for years and just haven't marketed themselves as such. I can't remember where I heard it but I thought I remember hearing that LMT was sometimes referred to as "Knights Light" but I am not sure the accuracy of that statement not do I know if it was referring to their ar-15 platform.
    I've has two LMTs. A 10.5" upper on a registered SBR lower that is my go to AR and an 18" MWS. The MWS was an elegant and finely manufactured weapon. Both just run. Never a malfunction with either.

Sons of Liberty Gun Works makes nice guns by all accounts, but their logistical side of things can be... interesting. Friends of friends have gotten guns shipped directly to their doorsteps or had 14.5" rifles sent to FFLs without the muzzle devices pinned & welded. Their comms also seem to be quite hit and miss; I know of several folks who could not raise them at all (using both phone and email, IIRC), and had to complain on Facebook, upon which one of the head guys personally contacted them and made things right, which is nice, but not really a good way to run a business.

For turnkey solutions, Centurion Arms is a smaller one that can be a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    The Youtube/Instagram market isn't something they're interested in, according to a LMT rep in a SHOT show interview from the past year or two. They are heavily focused on their Mil contracts. In 5 years time, they only have like 300 posts on Instagram.
    There is a part of me that absolutely loves that.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Sons of Liberty Gun Works makes nice guns by all accounts, but their logistical side of things can be... interesting. Friends of friends have gotten guns shipped directly to their doorsteps or had 14.5" rifles sent to FFLs without the muzzle devices pinned & welded. Their comms also seem to be quite hit and miss; I know of several folks who could not raise them at all (using both phone and email, IIRC), and had to complain on Facebook, upon which one of the head guys personally contacted them and made things right, which is nice, but not really a good way to run a business.

For turnkey solutions, Centurion Arms is a smaller one that can be a good choice.
    I haven't read those things specifically but I have read logistics have been rough. I am not sure if that had to do with the move or not. Hopefully, that is corrected or will be corrected now that they have their new shop.

You really should go read up on who is good to go over on M4C. They are a much bigger user base to gather intel from.

I haven't read those things specifically but I have read logistics have been rough. I am not sure if that had to do with the move or not. Hopefully, that is corrected or will be corrected now that they have their new shop.
    I want to hope that it'll improve with the move but I don't think it will. I've been watching them for a while and it has always been a problem. They get praise for Mike giving out his personal number but that is a bandaid fix IMO and at this point, the fact that he still has to is sad at best. I had an "in stock" order sit for maybe two weeks before I was notified that it was actually out of stock. Took another week or two to get it cancelled. And this was for a buffer kit. Their stuff seems to be solid but that whole barrel warranty would likely go down the same way IMO.

BCM - needs to be on the list. They're 100% my go to recommendation unless there is a specific need for something else. That said, there are other barrels that are more accurate. Not typically several MOA better, one to one and a half isn't uncommon. The upper clusterfrack posted would be my go to. BCM gets you a lot for the money and my CS experiences with them have been good.

KAC - great and if you want the best of the best, it comes with the KAC price, availability, and proprietary parts. Fantastic CS though and about as proven as a boutique brand will get. On the price though, you get a lot for the money.

Noveske - not mentioned but not worth the money IMO. You're paying for the name that came from innovation many years ago and some attractive machining, that's it.

Hodge - not worth a serious look due to availability unless you're willing to get an upper built around one of his barrels.

It is reassuring to see the high regard for LMT, here. I recently acquired a 16” carbine upper from Primary Arms, and am about to pick-up two LMT PDW lowers that I ordered from Primary, which is local, for me. (In this context, “PDW” refers to a shortened buffer assembly and stock.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    You really should go read up on who is good to go over on M4C. They are a much bigger user base to gather intel from.
    Yeah, but they also have much shittier posters. M4C of today ain't the M4C of a couple years ago (and let's not forget one of the reasons PF was founded...). I honestly would say you would get better info here than on M4C these days.

Surprised to not see Daniel Defense mentioned yet. Some of their furniture is gimmicky, but the rifles themselves seem to be of excellent quality, albeit a bit overpriced, IMO, when BCM and Centurion are available. Geissele is another potential option, I suppose, though I personally would steer clear of them, as they seem to be expanding way too fast and having issues due to that (they certainly seemed to have burned up a lot of goodwill due to their last Black Friday sale).

Another option I would consider is to simply pick out the parts you like and have a reputable smith assemble it for you, I've had my AR-15s assembled by others (I used Dave Laubert over at Defensive Creations for my AR-15s, though my next/last one might just get assembled by the guys at Sionics, now that they're local to me, just to save on shipping). This allows me to pick out the AR that I want to my specs; warranty to me doesn't mean much, if I can just ship a troubled gun back to the smith and have them look at it (a necessary attitude when I gained from all my experimenting with my P30LSes).

Just off the top of my head, a rough list of reputable builders/manufacturers in no particular order that I recommend when people ask for AR brands, built from hearsay, a lot of reading, and listening to industry insiders:
    • H&K (HK416 totally counts, right?)
    • Centurion Arms
    • Bravo Company Manufacturing
    • Sionics
    • Daniel Defense
    • Fabrique National Herstal
    • Hodge Defense
    • Knights Armament Company
    • Colt
    • LMT

There's also a whole mess of brands that I wouldn't actively steer people away from (e.g., PWS, Radian, Geissele, etc.), but that's obviously going to be more subjective.

Or, let's just kick it old school, and lean on our hometown hero, amirite:
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 07-28-2020 at 01:16 AM.

User Tag List