Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: What do you like or hate about (insert brand)'s AR?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Faaak it’s back. Doubt I can change my order but maybe I will try.

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-stan...-13-handguard/
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    What, no MK2?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    You are by far the most difficult to please person I have ever run into about a purchase. But yeah, didn’t notice that detail. 😬

They seem to all be coming online now. A week ago I signed up for emails on all the M lock lightweight 16” models.

If I am able to decipher the BCM code and see a Mk2 16” ELWF, 13” handguard, will ping you.

I also found it interesting how $644 turned into $909 after adding a BCG and tax. Dang it.
    This one back in stock might really make me a buyer...
    https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-mk2-...-12-handguard/
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    If there was a 16" ELWF with 13" handguard I'd probably have a hard time resisting too.

Good to know the Colt finally sold out

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-mk2-...=instocknotify

Also, that Colt Midlength upper was available all so briefly. I didn't buy either.

This isn't a like or hate on any specific brand however, I find myself becoming uninterested in companies that exist as manupackagers and don't make any of the parts they sell or use in their builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
    This isn't a like or hate on any specific brand however, I find myself becoming uninterested in companies that exist as manupackagers and don't make any of the parts they sell or use in their builds.
    I like the term - manupackager.

What percentage of parts need to be made by the company to avoid the title?

Or could there be specific exemptions for components - for instance if I'm a barrel maker and offer "Lehr Specials" in which the only component made by me was the barrel, would that qual as a manupackager?

If we get too picky I think we'd find most everyone out ther (with exceptions) is a manupackager.

Site Supporter
    What is more innovative ? A company that makes most of the gun but only makes copies of others existing designs, or a company that designs and develops original or improved parts and jobs out actual production ?

Why? IDGAF who makes it as long as I trust the QC spec of the company selling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I like the term - manupackager.

What percentage of parts need to be made by the company to avoid the title?

Or could there be specific exemptions for components - for instance if I'm a barrel maker and offer "Lehr Specials" in which the only component made by me was the barrel, would that qual as a manupackager?

If we get too picky I think we'd find most everyone out ther (with exceptions) is a manupackager.
    Coming up with a percentage is a big rabbit hole to jump down. At the very minimum a type 07 manufacturer of AR-15's should produce the serialized lower receiver in house. If you don't make that part, how can you call yourself a gun manufacturer?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    What is more innovative ? A company that makes most of the gun but only makes copies of others existing designs, or a company that designs and develops original or improved parts and jobs out actual production ?
    Isn't most of the industry copying Colt's design? All of the companies I'd consider innovative are true manufacturers with in-house capabilities. There's a lot of marketing companies masquerading as gun / gun part manufacturers.

Site Supporter
    Coming up with a percentage is a big rabbit hole to jump down. At the very minimum a type 07 manufacturer of AR-15's should produce the serialized lower receiver in house. If you don't make that part, how can you call yourself a gun manufacturer?
    It’s tough to make a business case for making a part in-house that other sources can do some combination of better-cheaper-faster. Having watched my best friends former employer attempt to start selling ARs with their own receivers, there is a high probability that Mega would have clobbered them on better. Likely cheaper as well, all associated costs considered. And it took them forever to get going. Getting beat on all three is not a recipe for success. Don’t get me wrong, I love the flexibility that comes with increased vertical integration. But that’s a tough way to compete in today’s business environment. I’d rather have a gun company be expert assemblers/fitters. Designers too, if it’s something other than an AR or 1911. Outsourcing is not a dirty word.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I understand the sentiment. I am capable of acting as my own manupackager, and I don't even mark up the package when I'm done.

Well, there are legal definitions in case law. If I'm a licensed gunsmith, and you bring me a pile of parts you own to assemble, and I assemble them for you, I'm a gunsmith. If I buy a pile of parts (including a receiver), assemble them into a functional (rather than merely legal) firearm, and then sell it to you, I'm a manufacturer. According to BATFE.

I am not a lawyer under any circumstances, of course.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Define "Manufacture?" Machining the forging or making the forging ? who makes their own forgings ? Ruger ?

User Tag List