Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you like or hate about (insert brand)'s AR?

What do you like or hate about (insert brand)'s AR?

I've been out of the AR research game for awhile and trying to get some of the specifics about what differentiates one brand (or model) of AR from another and was hoping you all could help. What do you all like (or hate) and more importantly, WHY do you like them or what differentiates it? I am looking for a "duty grade" (not cheapo) AR but don't want to just throw money at something without knowing what I am actually getting. There is a part of me that sees an FN 15 TAC II and says damn that looks like a no-brainer. Considering any barrel length from 11.5 to 16. A 9in or lower AR pistol in 300blk for backpack gun is also on the list.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on why to go with one and/or not go with another? What is the good, bad, and the ugly?

Here is what I have so far:

Hodge - Besides the Mod2 that is made out of lightweight Aluminum Lithium, the most I can gather is that they are basically hand fitted but other specs seem mythical. Also guns seem unobtanium. Can anyone add anything?

SOLGW - Seems to have gotten a reputation for meticulous detail, properly spec'd parts, and QA/QC. I see some people not liking their barrels because they are not chrome lined cold hammer forged (but they do include a free warranty barrel if you shoot it out). Lately, the wait times have been crazy, which might have been rectified by the fact that their shop just got up and fully functional at the new location. Can anyone add anything?

FN - I have heard from mods on P&S that the FN15 TAC II is basically a Hodge spec'd gun that is mass manufactured? Am I missing something - not a lot of people seem to talk about them?

Triarc - also seems interesting but not sure why.

Other brands?
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 07-27-2020 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    FN - I have heard from mods on P&S that the FN15 TAC II is basically a Hodge spec'd gun that is mass manufactured? Am I missing something - not a lot of people seem to talk about them?
    I am far from knowledgeable on such things, and even if true I don't know if I care about that, but it's the first I've heard of it.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I've been out of the AR research game for awhile and trying to get some of the specifics about what differentiates one brand (or model) of AR from another and was hoping you all could help. What do you all like (or hate) and more importantly, WHY do you like them or what differentiates it? I am looking for a "duty grade" (not cheapo) AR but don't want to just throw money at something without knowing what I am actually getting. There is a part of me that sees an FN 15 TAC II and says damn that looks like a no-brainer. Considering any barrel length from 11.5 to 16. A 9in or lower AR pistol in 300blk for backpack gun is also on the list.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on why to go with one and/or not go with another? What is the good, bad, and the ugly?

Here is what I have so far:

Hodge - Besides the Mod2 that is made out of lightweight Aluminum Lithium, the most I can gather is that they are basically hand fitted but other specs seem mythical. Also guns seem unobtanium. Can anyone add anything?

SOLGW - Seems to have gotten a reputation for meticulous detail, properly spec'd parts, and QA/QC. I see some people not liking their barrels because they are not chrome lined cold hammer forged (but they do include a free warranty barrel if you shoot it out). Lately, the wait times have been crazy, which might have been rectified by the fact that their shop just got up and fully functional at the new location. Can anyone add anything?

Triarc - also seems interesting but not sure why.
    How can they be Hodge spec and mass produced? Hodge hand fits a bunch of stuff that isn't conducive to mass production.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    How can they be Hodge spec and mass produced? Hodge hand fits a bunch of stuff that isn't conducive to mass production.
    Good question. I honestly don't know. I assumed it meant at least the hand guard that he developed with Mega that FN uses, but don't know if it extends beyond that. I know Hodge uses FN barrels, but from my limited understanding, FN makes a variety of different profiles as well as different "grades" of barrels so I am not sure if it extends to that.

Site Supporter
    Is there any reason why Sionics and Colt aren't on your list? Given your parameters, those would be the first two brands I recommend.
    Sionics 16in or 11.5in as your desire suits you, or a Colt LE6920. A dozen mags, a good sling, a good light, and an optic if you desire it. Done.

What do you like or hate about (insert brand)'s AR?

I had the same question about why BCM isn’t on the list. BCM seems like the easy button for a quality AR. All of mine work suppressed, unsuppressed, clean, dirty, with pretty much whatever loads.

The only brand I have serious issues with is JP. I’ve seen more malfunctions with JP guns or guns with JP parts than all other brands combined. They are like the 2011 Open guns of AR-15s, and have to be “tuned” to work. Yuck.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Is there any reason why Sionics and Colt aren't on your list? Given your parameters, those would be the first two brands I recommend.
    Sionics 16in or 11.5in as your desire suits you, or a Colt LE6920. A dozen mags, a good sling, a good light, and an optic if you desire it. Done.
    I should probably add, the list I provided was a starting point from my memory (probably dodgy at best). I just started thinking about this project a few days ago. I am totally open to other brands not on the list I provided. I just wanted to provide a starting point. I honestly don't know what I don't know. My goal is to figure out what makes certain brands good/unique (or not) and that is what stuck in my mind. I could have probably added BCM - but the only thing I remember "hearing" about them is that they are a pretty proven platform but I don't remember anything specific. Maybe Knight's too - they have a few proprietary things about them and proven too.

Sionics - I honestly don't know much about them. What do you like about them?

Colt - the 6920 is an obviously proven design but I don't have the tools to remove the FSB and add a free float rail.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I had the same question about why BCM isn’t on the list. BCM seems like the easy button for a quality AR. All of mine work suppressed, unsuppressed, clean, dirty, with pretty much whatever loads.

The only brand I have serious issues with is JP. I’ve seen more malfunctions with JP guns or guns with JP parts than all other brands combined. They are like the 2011 Open guns of AR-15s, and have to be “tuned” to work. Yuck.
    Thanks for the input Clusterfrack. I appreciate your view of JP - it definitely helps. I honestly forgot about them but that kind of feedback is exactly what I am looking for. As for BCM, I honestly just forgot them too. That being said, I don't remember hearing anything specific about how they make their guns. I just heard that many people seem to like them. I am open to anything at this point.

Site Supporter
    I should probably add, the list I provided was a starting point from my memory (probably dodgy at best). I just started thinking about this project a few days ago. I am totally open to other brands not on the list I provided. I just wanted to provide a starting point. I honestly don't know what I don't know. My goal is to figure out what makes certain brands good/unique (or not) and that is what stuck in my mind. I could have probably added BCM - but the only thing I remember "hearing" about them is that they are a pretty proven platform but I don't remember anything specific. Maybe Knight's too - they have a few proprietary things about them and proven too.

Sionics - I honestly don't know much about them. What do you like about them?

Colt - the 6920 is an obviously proven design but I don't have the tools to remove the FSB and add a free float rail.
    Sionics is a proven AR builder that offers a very consistent rifle with excellent QC/QA. They aren't the 31 flavors of rifle builders and they basically just offer Chocolate, Vanilla, and Strawberry when it comes to different options, but you can trust that the weapon delivered will be made from quality components and subjected to excellent QC/QA.

BCM is another excellent option and they offer quite a number of different configurations to suit your fancy, both 5.56 and .300BO.

Also, you don't need to remove the FSB to free-float a 6920. Centurion and Midwest Industries both make a 2pc free float rail system that interfaces on the OE barrel nut and goes around the stock carbine-length FSB. They even offer versions that offer some rail space in front of the FSB which is excellent for mounting a light.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    BCM is the don't-think-too-hard answer.

Larue's Ultimate Upper package is a hell of a deal too, you just need a lower to assemble it on. https://www.larue.com/products/larue...-15-upper-kit/ I love my 12". Stealth barrel isn't light though, which is neither good nor bad, depending on what you're doing with it.

User Tag List