Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you like or hate about (insert brand)'s AR?

Quote Originally Posted by Not HighSpeed View Post
    Where and does PSA fit in with this discussion? I ask because it seems to be the acceptable 300blk out PDW upper in place of the rattler or MCX?
    My experience with PSA has been 100%.

I've personally purchased five PSA uppers 10.5, 12", several 16" and an 18" upper. and most of them came with a lower parts kit. While the fit and finish is not top shelf, they all ran out of the box. There are little corners cut on like anodizing and I'm sure some of the materials used are not up to the same level as say KAC, Colt. and Daniel Defense.

The interesting thing to me is that Sig gets a ton of grief around here, and other forums, for their other products but gets a pass on the Rattler. I have no personal experience with the Rattler but it's good to see that others are happy with their purchase.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by davisj View Post
    I don’t own a Geissele rifle but from what I can see from these specs, their reputation and current market availability, I don’t think you’d go wrong ordering either of these (depending on your budget).

14.5 Pinned

https://www.primaryarms.com/geissele...ck-14.5-pinned

https://www.primaryarms.com/geissele...-16.25-08-188b
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post

Dat Super Precision doe.

(Not my picture.)
    Quote Originally Posted by davisj View Post
    That’s a Friday lower, or a Monday lower.
    Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    When QA took a break...
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    They put out some crappy rails...so great trigger doesn't always transfer to a great everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    In their defense, to the extent that that is a functional surface, I don't see that the cosmetics of that situation have any affect on form/fit/function. Wouldn't be at all surprised to find it meets print. How do the machined dimensions gage?

(It occurs to me that the more advanced machining some manufacturers apply there may be a countermeasure to control and avoid this kind of result.)
    Did it assemble correctly and work? (ie, was the unexpected shape simply cosmetic?)
    My take on "fit and finish" FWIW...

Years ago, again as consumers were starting to get educated, "fit and finish" went from being the only way you could tell a "good" gun to being ridiculed as the mantra of the uninformed. Now that everybody is informed, you don't hear it brought up as much. But, to me it still matters provided you're hitting the other criteria.

First, nobody wants to spend money on something and then having look janky. Maybe it's a $100 lower but it's going to go into a $1-5k total "build" when all is said and done, and for a lot of us that kind of "blemish" is going to piss us off in our $3k AR.

Second, it does not instill confidence. If they can't get that part right, I'm not going to feel all that great about their ability to get the rest of the machining right. And I sure don't want to go findingout *after* I assemble my $3k AR that not only did it have some seemingly cosmetic problem but it turns out that the FCG pin holes aren't aligned or the magwell has some nagging issue.

Third, after people started poopooing the "fit and finish" defense, there almost became this point of internut pride of "I don't care what it looks like as long as it runs" that's frankly almost as dippy as "look at mah fit and finish!"

Finally, it's 2020. I don't have to put up with that kind of crap. I can go get another lower, and I probably would. You can have today both a cosmetically pretty and fully functional and in-spec (or exceeds-spec if you believe everyone's hype and snowlake-ism) lower.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    In their defense, to the extent that that is a functional surface, I don't see that the cosmetics of that situation have any affect on form/fit/function. Wouldn't be at all surprised to find it meets print. How do the machined dimensions gage?

(It occurs to me that the more advanced machining some manufacturers apply there may be a countermeasure to control and avoid this kind of result.)
    Did it assemble correctly and work? (ie, was the unexpected shape simply cosmetic?)
    Like I said at the bottom of the post, it's not my picture, and I honestly don't know much else. It was mostly just me poking fun at Geissele's tendency to label everything "Super Precision", and then turn that out, which was from their disastrous 2019 Black Friday sale; that receiver was allegedly received months after the sale, so it also has the implication that perhaps Geissele took short cuts/lowered QC in order to get orders out. As @rob_s stated above, the receiver may actually functional just fine, but when you receive such a receiver and it was not marked as a blem, trust takes a severe hit.

I recall many other complaints about blems and the like in that period earlier this year while they were trying to fulfill their Black Friday orders; that, combined with their thoroughly mediocre branded LPVO and MK16 handguard debacle, while still attempting to project the image of an upmarket brand, suggests to me that Geissele's sterling reputation is undeserved at this point, as it seems their attempts at expansion came too fast. Most of my friends that like firearms agree with my assessment, so it seems that Geissele has squandered their good will and reputation; most of their products are still good choices, but they're no longer to be automatically assumed to have bulletproof products.

If I'm paying a premium price for a carbine, it had better look nice and run even better.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

For what it's worth, I have an 11.5 Super Duty Upper and am happy with the build quality. I chose it because of its specifications. I have a few hundred rounds through it and it has shot very softly, reliably, and accurately. The fancy bolt coating is nice and easy to clean. Everything is lined up and I like that the gas block is pinned.

Quote Originally Posted by spelingmastir View Post
    For what it's worth, I have an 11.5 Super Duty Upper and am happy with the build quality. I chose it because of its specifications. I have a few hundred rounds through it and it has shot very softly, reliably, and accurately. The fancy bolt coating is nice and easy to clean. Everything is lined up and I like that the gas block is pinned.
    Another anecdotal impression: I just picked up two 14.5's. Fit and finish is solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Well 2 trips to the local gun store and nada. Anyone have any tips on finding a halfway decent rifle (like those discussed in this thread)? It seems like gun stores and online are barren. I know, I am about 3 months to late but I thought I would ask anyway. Where do you all go online? Are you setting up alerts for everything?
    Primary Arms just re-stocked on BCM cosmetic-blem complete lowers.

Edited to add: OOPS; already out-of-stock. That was quick!
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Primary Arms just re-stocked on BCM cosmetic-blem complete lowers.

Edited to add: OOPS; already out-of-stock. That was quick!
    That's how quick things sell anymore. Best bet if you need something but aren't in a hurry is find a website willing to do a back-order and just wait.

Misfire

Since we are discussing it, what about the old notion that there are only a couple or three makers of lowers, and they just change the rollmark depending on who has contracted them? Was that ever true, and if so, is it no longer true?

One would think that in the last few years others would have gotten into the lower forging business.

User Tag List