Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you like or hate about (insert brand)'s AR?

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Given the current market conditions and the popularity of AR pistols, really nice catch on the BCM 12.5" upper.
    BCM products are top-notch ("tier 1") and given my experience with them, you will not be disappointed.

If you haven't seen the following video, you might enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaFOZAwspYI
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    BCM just works. Not to mention the owner of BCM being one of us, an excellent American, employing Americans. BCM takes QC so seriously that they built a go/no go apparatus for gas tubes.
    I'm not sure how I missed this emphasis on QA/QC with BCM. Maybe I got overwhelmed with it from the reputation of SOLGW how how they constantly talk about it and just assumed the legacy brands like BCM/Colt/KAC/LMT don't really let you "into their world" and keep it proprietary because people just know it works. That video was the hottness. It was like watching Chad over at SOTAR but on steroids. I wonder how many other manufacturers have that level of sophistication with making machines (and not just manual gauges) specifically for QA/QC. Makes me even more excited about the incoming setup.

You won't regret the BCM, at least in my opinion. I'm 50/50 on whether or not CHF is that important, especially for Average Joe's like myself, and my newest upper has their 11.5" CHF barrel. I've never sweated it when a particular barrel isn't offered in CHF. I had the ELW 11.5" barrel that isn't CHF'd and it was a good shooter. It was just too light in combination with the MCMR on a Law folder equipped gun. Gun was too rear end heavy, hehe. It is much more balanced with the govt profile barrel and quad rail that I replaced them with.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    You won't regret the BCM, at least in my opinion. I'm 50/50 on whether or not CHF is that important, especially for Average Joe's like myself, and my newest upper has their 11.5" CHF barrel. I've never sweated it when a particular barrel isn't offered in CHF. I had the ELW 11.5" barrel that isn't CHF'd and it was a good shooter. It was just too light in combination with the MCMR on a Law folder equipped gun. Gun was too rear end heavy, hehe. It is much more balanced with the govt profile barrel and quad rail that I replaced them with.
    Buying new in 2020 I'd probably opt for CHF.

However, my 200..1? 2? 3? Vintage 6933s and 6520 with thousands of rounds through them don't seem to be wanting, and according to the internet the combination of "milspec" chrome lining, "pencil" barrel profile and horrendous diet of Wolf should have resulted in all of them shooting 12" groups at 15 yards years ago.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Buying new in 2020 I'd probably opt for CHF.

However, my 200..1? 2? 3? Vintage 6933s and 6520 with thousands of rounds through them don't seem to be wanting, and according to the internet the combination of "milspec" chrome lining, "pencil" barrel profile and horrendous diet of Wolf should have resulted in all of them shooting 12" groups at 15 yards years ago.
    Which is what I base my opinion on that it probably doesn't matter for most people. I've lost count of how many rounds are through my 6933, with a lot of it being Wolf as well. If the same barrel is offered in plain ol' chrome lined or CHF for a small upcharge I'd pick CHF as well like I did for the BCM barrel, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it if it wasn't.

I've heard that all else being equal, a CHF barrel will not shoot as accurately as a non CHF barrel, but we're probably talking a 3 MOA barrel vs a 2 MOA barrel with basic ammo if it even is a thing.

When I zero'd the upper after installing the new BCM barrel, I confirmed zero at 100 with my 6933, both with 2 MOA Aimpoint micros and the same ammo, both groups were basically minute of fist sized groups so if the accuracy difference is a thing, I'm not a good enough shooter to tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Regarding Sionics, my answer to what I hate about them (having never held one of their rifles) is that I hate it when companies recycle an old, known name for a new unrelated company. The original Sionics has a storied legacy of developing weapon systems for the military. The new Sionics is a boutique maker of one of the most common rifles of all time. There is no person or piece of IP that relate the two. If y our product is so great, that will make your name great. Don't try to use a known name to lure people in.

Like Carroll Shelby said, "a car makes a name, a name doesn't make a car"
    I honestly never hear of Sionics as any other firearms company other than the current one. I actually had to google them to find out that they existed before I was born and I'm 50. I doubt very much the name Sionics drew in very few customers based on a name from the late sixties, but I could be wrong.

Will Larson (RIP) turned me on to them years ago, as he had a hand in guiding the company. He worked with BCM as well. Based on his recommendation, I ordered a rifle. It's a solid, well spec'd, AR-15 that I'd recommend to anyone. I didn't name drop one bit when I ordered my rifle. I called with some questions and I got to talk with a real human that gave educated answers. The experience was quite pleasant. When I hear "boutique" I think stupid accessories that serve no purpose on a rifle. Sionics is quite the opposite, it's a solid rifle with no real frills.

When I first heard the Sionics name I’d never heard of it before, but they came recommended by some forum members here I respected. Through weapons history nerdery (and mostly a backlog of Forgotten Weapons video) I’ve come to understand the previous company held a significant role in the Gary Ingram story but died out long ago. I really don’t see it like Armalite or Springfield Armory- trying to capitalize on the previous company’s name recognition.

With that said, the assembled lower I got from the current company a couple years ago was very well assembled with solid parts at a very reasonable price and shipped in a timely fashion. I had a question regarding paperwork and spoke with an intelligent and helpful human on my first attempt, so I’d chalk it up as a positive experience.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post

I've heard that all else being equal, a CHF barrel will not shoot as accurately as a non CHF barrel, but we're probably talking a 3 MOA barrel vs a 2 MOA barrel with basic ammo if it even is a thing.
    It's not a thing. All things being equal there won't be any difference in the accuracy of similar quality CHF and standard cut rifling barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    When I first heard the Sionics name I’d never heard of it before, but they came recommended by some forum members here I respected. Through weapons history nerdery (and mostly a backlog of Forgotten Weapons video) I’ve come to understand the previous company held a significant role in the Gary Ingram story but died out long ago.
    Here you go regarding the original SIONICS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitchell_WerBell_III

A couple years ago one of the things the Sionics website stressed was that each rifle was built by one person and then QC checked by different persons. At the time many of the employees were also police officers in the area.

I notice that when reliability is referred to in this thread, people gravitate to bolts and chambering of barrels. While these certainly are important, I’d also suggest that proper gas block mounting is essential, and not to be assumed. This is what separates the various PSA guns for me. PSA does not dimple barrels for the set screw gas blocks they use. This is a matter of “when”, not “if” it fails. Therefore, I’d avoid all PSA that utilizes a freefloat handguard. The only PSA upper I would buy utilizes the pinned on front sight housing. They might still f-up torquing the barrel nut or some other error, but at least you won’t have that failure point. I do wish BCM pinned their LP gas blocks, but at least they dimple the barrel, use tight fitting gas block, and I do believe, red Loctite. I’ve not heard of theirs coming loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Here you go regarding the original SIONICS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitchell_WerBell_III

A couple years ago one of the things the Sionics website stressed was that each rifle was built by one person and then QC checked by different persons. At the time many of the employees were also police officers in the area.
    Thank you for that- I am somewhat familiar with Warbell's exploits (some of which appear to be of debatable veracity), but I never picked up on his role with/as Sionics. Also, mea cupla for "Gary" instead of Gordon Ingram. To be clear, the original Sionics is an interesting story but (in my opinion) not a hugely marketable name ripe for exploitation. I heard of the new company on account of their own efforts and found their products and business practices to be solid.

I do wish BCM pinned their LP gas blocks, but at least they dimple the barrel, use tight fitting gas block, and I do believe, red Loctite. I’ve not heard of theirs coming loose.
    BCM certainly seems to secure their gas blocks well, but I suspect they are using Rocksett, as red Loctite lists a max temperature of 450, while Rocksett's is 2000.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

User Tag List