Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you like or hate about (insert brand)'s AR?

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Was able to find a complete BCM lower relatively locally. It took 2 days for the background check to go through. I was entered in queue as #750+ in line. I am pretty happy with the experience. I wanted to get something relatively quickly (just because I guess). I called Sionics to confirm lead times and they said even though they are posting 10 to 14 days, its really like 4 weeks. BCM seems like a known quantity for quality, so that gives me piece of mind. I am unaware of any major or consistent incidents with them.

Additionally, since its just a lower, if I make it a pistol first, I'll have the flexibility to do what I want with it. So now I am on the hunt for an upper (or 2). One of them is going to be 14.5in or below - I think I could be jonesing for 12.5 (not sure yet)! I also need to figure out if I want an SBA3 or SBA4 brace.

I appreciate all of the help so far. Thank you.
    You want the SBA3, Split Fix & A5 style RE assembly
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    You want the SBA3, Split Fix & A5 style RE assembly
    May I ask why you prefer the A5 tube? My lower came with a standard mil-spec tube. I thought I read the SBA3 works on the standard tube?

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    May I ask why you prefer the A5 tube? My lower came with a standard mil-spec tube. I thought I read the SBA3 works on the standard tube?
    It does. It works even better with the extra length of the A5
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Vending Machine Operator
    I have Daniel Defense M4V1 number 661, with a quad rail. Got it in 2011 for graduating. Have never needed anything else.

I'm sure there's fancier, newer stuff for various reasons. I've got a frankenstein build made out of PSA, Sons of Liberty, FN, Geiselle, and Magpul parts just because I wanted an FDE build with an NP3 BCG, but DD #661 has been my go-to for 9 years and has run like a song.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    It does. It works even better with the extra length of the A5
    I agree 100%. SBA3 is too short on a carbine tube IMO.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There is a discussion in the PDW thread about "length of pull" to the extent that is a defined term with a pistol brace and ATF's statements about it.

To summarize, there is more than one member of this site who has taken measures to ensure that figure remains less than ~13.5 inches or so.

I would suggest further discussion of that topic belongs in the PDW thread (after reading the existing discussion there) rather than here.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Primary Arms shows BCM 16” upper, Govt-profile barrel, with 15” Key-mod hand-guard, in-stock.

As before, best advice is to act quickly.
    Last edited by Rex G; 08-10-2020 at 10:53 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    There is a discussion in the PDW thread about "length of pull" to the extent that is a defined term with a pistol brace and ATF's statements about it.

To summarize, there is more than one member of this site who has taken measures to ensure that figure remains less than ~13.5 inches or so.
    This. I do not like being a test case; my pockets are not deep enough. I may live in Texas, but in this county, the blue-wave DA is showing herself to be the SJW type. As a retired LEO, I would be all too tempting.

A LAW folder adds about an inch to the OAL. Maybe a bit more. SB braces, themselves, add more length. I did not feel comfortable, leaving my LAW-folder-ed, SB-braced DDM4 V7P in its as-delivered configuration, after I measured it. (I have disremembered exactly what I measured, but recall being quite alarmed.)

Indeed, I have strongly considered permanently changing my LAW-folding braced DDM4 V7P to a LAW-folding DDM4 V7 non-P.
    Last edited by Rex G; 08-10-2020 at 11:52 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

SOLGW - Just posted a video on social media listing their gas port / buffer configurations for anyone so interested.

SOLGW GAS PORTS:
    10.5" Carbine .073
    11.5" Carbine .071
    12.5" Carbine .068
    14.5" Carbine .0625
    16" Carbine .0625
    13.7" Mid .0785
    14.5” Mid .077
    16" Mid .076
    18" Rifle .0995
    20" Rifle .093

Textbook TDP GAS PORTS:
    Mk18 10.3” Carbine .070
    M4 14.5" Carbine .0625
    Mk12 18” Rifle .0995
    M16 20" Rifle .093

11.5” ​Milspec: Blue Spring/H2 (LAW Folder H), A5: Green Spring A5H2 (LAW A5H1)
    12.5” ​Milspec: Blue Spring/H2 (LAW Folder H), A5: Green Spring A5H2 (LAW A5H1)
    13.7” ​Milspec: Blue Spring/H (LAW Folder H), A5: Green Spring A5H2 (LAW A5H1)
    13.9” Milspec: Blue Spring/H (LAW Folder H), A5: Green Spring A5H2 (LAW A5H1)
    14.5” ​Milspec: Blue Spring/H (LAW Folder H), A5: Green Spring A5H2 (LAW A5H1)
    16” ​ Milspec: Blue Spring/H (LAW Folder H), A5: Green Spring A5H2 (LAW A5H1)

Site Supporter
    Regarding Sionics, my answer to what I hate about them (having never held one of their rifles) is that I hate it when companies recycle an old, known name for a new unrelated company. The original Sionics has a storied legacy of developing weapon systems for the military. The new Sionics is a boutique maker of one of the most common rifles of all time. There is no person or piece of IP that relate the two. If y our product is so great, that will make your name great. Don't try to use a known name to lure people in.

Like Carroll Shelby said, "a car makes a name, a name doesn't make a car"

User Tag List