Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Snake defense gun or weapon suggestion...

Not the most practical solution, but maybe the coolest. Henry Axe .410 mare's leg.

Name:  01292017062-770x434.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  94.6 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I've spent time in snake heavy parts of the world, including a lot of land surveying in central Florida.
    I've found that most snakes really don't want to get into a confrontation, and will slither off if you give them room.
    Same here. I have some shot capsule rounds in three calibers, but at any distance where I wouldn't be worried about hitting my feet I'd be hesitant to shoot a snake. A friend stepped on/near a sluggish rattlesnake one winter, and proceeded to fire several several rounds into. The amazing part is that in his panic he managed to not shoot himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Especially since most snakes one will encounter are non-poisonous, even beneficial.
    Pedantry alert: Non-venomous
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I'm glad someone else said it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Meh. Seven of one, half-a-dozen of the other.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Daughters latest hiking trip.
    Name:  FC50A8AD-BF7E-4E91-A2F0-E7D49C851962.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  60.3 KB

Name:  BB52DD9E-075B-4FF4-BEE9-3E1B7C83C181.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  48.2 KB
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Meh. Seven of one, half-a-dozen of the other.
    I suppose frogs and toads are interchangeable to you. Herp identity matters!
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Thinking back on bites, most I remember are from people trying to kill or move snakes rather than strikes from the unseen. That's a clue for me.

Littles, dogs, and livestock are much better at not getting bit than grown men.
    Last edited by ST911; 07-28-2020 at 08:06 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Thinking back on bites, most I remember are from people trying to kill or move snakes rather than strikes from the unseen. That's a clue for me.

I remember talking with an Arizona park ranger about snakes and snakebites. He said that older adults, women, and kids were usually bitten in the lower leg. Young men were usually bitten in the hand, forearm, or face.

Hold my beer and watch this.....

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post

My wife has dealt with numerous bites in the ER; all non-venomous. Hold my beer+snake that eats rodents=lots of IV antibiotics.

I've used CCI/Federal snake shot twice to kill rattlesnakes. First was with Federal .22 #12 shot to kill a snake that bit my cat. .22 requires a head shot, and it was useful to have the dead snake for positive ID at the vet for antivenin. Antivenin is expensive.

Second time was doing a toilet install in a building, and a baby rattler decided to take up residence in the channel cut in the slab for the plumbing. A CCI .40 basically shredded it, and did manage to cycle the action on my SIG P239 properly. The .22 did not cycle.

Now when walking where I might encounter a snake, I keep a spare mag loaded with CCI snake shot for the first round. It's pretty easy to swap mags quickly and re chamber a snake shot round. I don't feel comfortable carrying with snake shot in the chamber, so this gives me the flexibility to use it in a hurry should I need it.

User Tag List