Thread: AAR: RangeMaster 1 Day Revolver and 1 Day Home Defense Shotgun

AAR: RangeMaster 1 Day Revolver and 1 Day Home Defense Shotgun

I attended the above this weekend at Firearms Academy of Seattle.

Tom pointed out that I took my first class from him 24 years ago! I had hair back then...

These classes were obviously limited in scope due to duration. However, Tom really understands not just what to teach, but how to teach it. The information he provides is the most relevant for the topic given the time constraint. Ever drill we shot taught a specific lesson. We weren’t just turning ammunition into noise. Every “war story” taught a valuable lesson in the context of the class.

I highly recommend both courses.

Revolver
    I really enjoy shooting revolvers. I ran a S&W Model 65 LS with 3” barrel. The previous owner had sent this to the S&W custom shop and had a full carry action tune, bead blast finish, and a non-Lady Smith side plate fitted. This is my favored K-Frame configuration. Revolvers get hot under what passes for sustained fire. I managed to burn my finger pretty good on a reload.

Shotgun
    Tom’s Home Defense Shotgun class is just that. For example, we don’t shoot any slugs as Tom feels they’re not optimal for **home** defense. I’ve always agreed. I’ve tested slugs in both my 1301’s but don’t carry them on the weapon. We don’t shoot at 50 yards as it would be near impossible for most homeowners to articulate justification for shooting at that distance and few suburban properties where most live offer that field of fire.

We did a lot of dry work, followed by birdshot for familiarization, ending up with 00.

I ran my Gen II 1301. Flawless and magic as owners know. Tom noted that the 1301 has replaced his previous go-to 870’s.

This is the second time I’ve taken this class; the other was somewhere back during the early days of RangeMaster in Memphis. This is the best introduction to shotgun class I’ve seen. Everything you need to get started and nothing you don’t. Take this course, apply the skills for a month or three, then take a two or three day course to solidify lessons learned.

I’ve been fortunate to train with a number well known instructors. After 24 years, Tom still tops the list. Recommended.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

They were good classes! I really liked the Gospel of the Gauge!

(I was right next to you on relay one for both of them. In fact you took a few pictures for me. )

I really appreciated getting to see all the types of buckshot students brought and the wide variety (sometimes pretty bad) patterning of different loads with different shotguns. I was shooting Flite Control and had no issues, but it amazes me how so many people have NO idea what THEIR shotgun will do with THEIR ammo! If you keep a boomstick at home you NEED to pattern your gun with your preferred load!

I just finished day 1 of Tom's Advanced Instructor program here at FAS, tomorrow's day two with several more scored quals. Should be a good time!

Good to meet you.

Enjoy the instructor class.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabe416 View Post
    Good to meet you.

Enjoy the instructor class.
    Thanks! It was great training with you. I'll be posting an AAR on the Advanced Instructor Course in the next day or two.

User Tag List