Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: St Paul/Minneapolis Riots Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post

Also, in case you didn't know, you should look up his real name.
    I did not know that. Even snopes confirms that he was a supporter of the Sandinistas before he was Bill de Blasio.

Go figure.

Student
    When you look at his parents' background, I think about TCinVA and EPF's remarks about what happened to Virginia with the Beltway crowd.

It is significantly the case and has been a direct aim of resettling "immigrants" and "refugees" in various places in Virginia. That plus the enormous growth in the federal government (which mostly lives in Maryland and Northern Virginia) over the last decade brought a bunch more people into NOVA who share the same attitudes about their fellow citizens evidenced in the Strzock and Paige texts.
    This is EXACTLY what caused the change in VA. Often people don’t take into account the huge increase of contractors in the federal government. The vast majority of them are indistinguishable from fed workers and often move back and forth in a revolving door between GS work and contracting work. Therefore the real number of fed workers is much larger than reported. Often spouses in a household are one GS and one contractor. The population of the region has increased exponentially since 9-11 and many of them travel an hour or more to get to work here.

It’s easy to forget that anyone who works for or does business with the federal government are basically immune to recession and other economic issues. So the “bubble” of feel good nonsensical belief systems that exists here is huge. They never have to pay the price for their ideas. My neighbors live in $800K homes, have 3 cars, put 3 trash cans out to the curb each pickup, and take multiple vacations every year yet they talk incessantly about “conservation” and have Bernie Sanders stickers on their cars.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post951530

Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    Anyway, I know MN honors a handful of other permits (but not mine). Are any of them available to MN residents as nonresident permits, and still honored by MN? That could cover the MN renewal period, perhaps?
    I honestly don't remember whether MN honors other states' permits for MN residents. It wouldn't shock me if it was one of those things where the answer was "you live here - you should have a MN permit" in much the same way that drivers' licenses work, where you have to get a MN DL within some number of days (60?) after becoming a resident.

I just know I'm glad my last expiry/renewal was in late 2018, so I'm good through 2023. I feel like it's reasonable to hope that the COVID-19 related issues around this will have returned to normal by then. I definitely feel for people either renewing or applying for their first permits now, though.

I’ve mentioned before, the Trafalgar Group was the only polling outfit that got the 2016 surprise Trump states right.

Here’s their latest - tie in Minnesota.

Name:  56E7B4DA-A721-49B2-94A7-56F20FC63212.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  29.3 KB

https://www.thetrafalgargroup.org/news/mn-pres-0820/
    Last edited by Kanye Wyoming; 08-20-2020 at 08:05 AM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    I’ve mentioned before, the Trafalgar Group was the only polling outfit that got the 2016 surprise Trump states right.

Here’s their latest - tie in Minnesota.

Name:  56E7B4DA-A721-49B2-94A7-56F20FC63212.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  29.3 KB

https://www.thetrafalgargroup.org/news/mn-pres-0820/
    I used to be convinced that Trump had no chance this fall, but as the Democrats continue to score own goals, it looks increasingly like a tossup.

Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    As a former frequent traveler to MN, I've considered getting a MN permit off and on, but the hassle of getting to one of the sheriffs north of the Cities had been a deterrent. (Now, the total lack of interest in going back to what had been my favorite city in the country is its own deterrent.) Anyway, I know MN honors a handful of other permits (but not mine). Are any of them available to MN residents as nonresident permits, and still honored by MN? That could cover the MN renewal period, perhaps?
    Permit classes here teach to the Florida standard ( sans stand-your-ground law, naturally) and offer a second certificate for Florida application, usually for $25-$30 more.
    I honestly do not know if that Florida out-of-state license is valid in MN for an MN resident, but it is a very good question.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Permit classes here teach to the Florida standard ( sans stand-your-ground law, naturally) and offer a second certificate for Florida application, usually for $25-$30 more.
    I honestly do not know if that Florida out-of-state license is valid in MN for an MN resident, but it is a very good question.
    MN does not recognize FL permits, resident or nonresident. MN has the goofy practice of publishing a list of states it doesn't honor; all other states' permits are valid by being excluded from that list. Last I looked, there were 15 such "approved-by-not-being-disapproved" states.

The following is unencumbered by actual research, so take it for what it's worth.

Subd. 16.Recognition of permits from other states.

(a) The commissioner must annually establish and publish a list of other states that have laws governing the issuance of permits to carry weapons that are not similar to this section. The list must be available on the Internet. A person holding a carry permit from a state not on the list may use the license or permit in this state subject to the rights, privileges, and requirements of this section.
    [from 624.714 MN Statutes, emphasis added by me]

The drafters were familiar with the word "nonresident" as they used it earlier in the statute to tell nonresidents where to apply (any county). They didn't use it here. If I found a likely candidate for a state, I'd read the reciprocity agreement between MN and that state. The word "nonresident" could certainly pop up in there, too.

(d) The commissioner must, when necessary, execute reciprocity agreements regarding carry permits with jurisdictions whose carry permits are recognized under paragraph (a).
    If there is a good state-specific firearm forum, this has probably been a topic of discussion, and someone has undoubtedly done some actual checking. If it works, there is probably a state that is known to be easier than others.

It's worth a look, though; I wouldn't want to be without a permit for three or four months.

Mob, including unhinged wannabe E. St. Paul rep John Thompson, visit MPD Union President's House.

2020's a hell of a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post

Mob, including unhinged wannabe E. St. Paul rep John Thompson, visit MPD Union President's House.

2020's a hell of a ride.
    John Thompson is a darling of Governor Tim "Jong" Walz, so he( Thompson) is only getting criticized behind closed doors, and not being publicly disavowed by the DFL leadership. Nor is he getting criticism by the Star Tribune or Pioneer Press, so far.
    What's weird is that Thompson & Police union head Kroll know each other and been friendly in the past. Kroll is kind of gobsmacked, he says.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List