Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: St Paul/Minneapolis Riots Aftermath

Business should #WalkAway
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    https://reason.com/2020/08/13/minnea...full/#comments

How can the government ignore their responsibility for protecting businesses and then demand taxes be payed before the businesses can be rebuilt after they were left to burn and be looted?
    That’s pretty jacked up.

Could the city simply not want business to re-open? I’m struggling with the possible rationale here.

Now I know how the group "St. Paul & the Broken Bones" got their name.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Has anybody seen this at the beginning of the article:

[UPDATE: The city of Minneapolis this afternoon announced that it was going to cease requiring the paying of property taxes to get demo permits, the practice this following story discusses. The original story follows as initially posted.]
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    That’s pretty jacked up.

Could the city simply not want business to re-open? I’m struggling with the possible rationale here.
    Well, hm. The optics were so bad that they relented later that day and reversed themselves.

The possible rationale is discussed here in this local* blog http://www.shotinthedark.info/wp/?p=74998

From the comments, read "Joe Doakes" who is a lawyer working for one of the local bureaucracies, as is "Pig Bodine" also.

bosshoss429 on August 13, 2020 at 6:55 am said:
    Greg;
    That’s freaking brilliant, man! Forfeit the property, which isn’t worth the taxes they are being assessed for, due to the Mayor’s feckless actions, and let them clean it up. I doubt that anyone will be willing to buy those distressed properties, given their current state and the volatility of the neighborhood. Once again, Democrats are getting the rewards that they so richly deserve.

Joe Doakes on August 13, 2020 at 7:40 am said:
    If you don’t pay your taxes so you can get a permit to rebuild, the City will send clean-up crews to remove the rubble on the grounds it’s a “public health and safety hazard.” Then the city will specially assess the clean-up cost to your land as an addition to your taxes. Since you’re not paying those taxes, the state will forfeit your land for back taxes and if Minneapolis asks for it, the state will give your land to the city as part of a “targeted community” economic recovery plan to redevelop blighted areas.

You still owe the lender on the Promissory Note that was secured by the mortgage on the land you no longer own. The lender will sue you, get a judgement against you, levy on your bank accounts, garnish your wages, seize your non-exempt assets, and eventually drive you into bankruptcy.

Problem solved.

Night Writer on August 13, 2020 at 7:58 am said:
    Meanwhile, the Governor says I can’t evict tenants who haven’t paid their rent.

Pig Bodine on August 13, 2020 at 7:59 am said:
    JD is correct,
    the City of Mpls has a long history of using the combination of “public health and safety hazard” cleanups at exorbitant rates, Special assessments, tax forfeit laws and economic recovery plans in lieu of Eminent Domain to acquire properties that well connected(DFL) developers have their eye on.

Eminent Domain requires hearings and transparency (who you are taking the land from and who you are giving it to) whereas tax forfeit property sales are never publicly scrutinized.

Face it Mpls just wants to be sure they get their beak wet!

Greg on August 13, 2020 at 8:22 am said:
    You still owe the lender on the Promissory Note that was secured by the mortgage on the land you no longer own. The lender will sue you, get a judgement against you, levy on your bank accounts, garnish your wages, seize your non-exempt assets, and eventually drive you into bankruptcy.

Of course…

But Joe, you are a lawyer. 🙂

Now tell us how to structure a business so that the bank and the city are left holding the bag.

Okay, okay, I know I shouldn’t launch into a story, but I can’t help myself

Back in the 80’s, I worked for The American Lutheran Church (ALC) which eventually merged with the Lutheran Church in America (LCA) to produce the people who brought us ELCA hair.

During the kickoff meeting to merge the two pension funds, our CFO held up copies of both pension plans and turning to our consul, said, “Tell us in plain English what they say?”

The attorney cracked a big grin and replied, “I am a lawyer, you tell me what you want them to say.”
    Sad to say, the sort of city-official chicanery described in those comments is pretty common. It's not tinfoil-hat conspiracy stuff at all, really.

* So local, in fact, that I can see the blogger's house from my front porch. He's a good dude.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

After months away, I finally had to go in to the office in Minneapolis this week. (Hopefully won't have reason to go again any time soon.) It was weird driving in, that's for sure. Lots of buildings on Lake Street still boarded up (nearly every piece of plywood is covered in graffiti), and I imagine it's similar in other parts of the city. Nothing bad happened to me personally, but as a white guy driving a fairly nice car, I was definitely not comfortable, especially given the reports of carjackings being on the rise in the area.

Interesting development this week: a consortium of local black organizations are suing the Minneapolis City Council over their efforts to disband the Minneapolis Police Department.
    John Hinderaker at Power Line has a post on it today. This might be pretty instructive to watch.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archiv...department.php

In firearms news, CCW applications and renewals are backed up for months, since they are to be submitted in-person rather than by mail.
    We got my mom through the required class and shooting qualification in late June (Glock 44 FTW) and were unable to get an appointment to drop her application off with the Ramsey County Sheriff's Office until mid October.
    I understand Hennepin County (Minneapolis) is even more backed up- up to four months before appointments are available. (it used to be a drop-in process before COVID.) They have up to a month to issue the permit to a qualified person.
    In MN, one cannot renew one's carry permit until 90 days before it expires; so folks in these counties are being forced to let them expire before they can renew, making continued carry a misdemeanor.
    I have as yet heard nothing from the MN Gun Owner's Caucus about ways to rectify this.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I’m struggling with the possible rationale here.
    Take a look at what the mayor of New York City has been doing until recently.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...residents.html
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Manhattan.html

Also, in case you didn't know, you should look up his real name.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Take a look at what the mayor of New York City has been doing until recently.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...residents.html
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Manhattan.html

Also, in case you didn't know, you should look up his real name.
    They'll never rid those hotels of the smell of urine, among other odoriferous signs of appreciation.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Interesting development this week: a consortium of local black organizations are suing the Minneapolis City Council over their efforts to disband the Minneapolis Police Department.
    John Hinderaker at Power Line has a post on it today. This might be pretty instructive to watch.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archiv...department.php

In firearms news, CCW applications and renewals are backed up for months, since they are to be submitted in-person rather than by mail.
    We got my mom through the required class and shooting qualification in late June (Glock 44 FTW) and were unable to get an appointment to drop her application off with the Ramsey County Sheriff's Office until mid October.
    I understand Hennepin County (Minneapolis) is even more backed up- up to four months before appointments are available. (it used to be a drop-in process before COVID.) They have up to a month to issue the permit to a qualified person.
    In MN, one cannot renew one's carry permit until 90 days before it expires; so folks in these counties are being forced to let them expire before they can renew, making continued carry a misdemeanor.
    I have as yet heard nothing from the MN Gun Owner's Caucus about ways to rectify this.
    As a former frequent traveler to MN, I've considered getting a MN permit off and on, but the hassle of getting to one of the sheriffs north of the Cities had been a deterrent. (Now, the total lack of interest in going back to what had been my favorite city in the country is its own deterrent.) Anyway, I know MN honors a handful of other permits (but not mine). Are any of them available to MN residents as nonresident permits, and still honored by MN? That could cover the MN renewal period, perhaps?

User Tag List