Page 22 of 53 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: St Paul/Minneapolis Riots Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Thanks for the kind words.

Greta Thunberg will be back.

Okie John
    She's jumped on the Covid vaccine inequality bandwagon recently.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the kind words.

Short answer: I think the 2021 riot season will be a drop in the bucket compared to 2020.

Long answer: 2020 created an epic lose-lose cycle that will take the radical left and the Democrats decades to break. The left made far more progress in 2020 than anyone expected, then it exploded in their faces. Now voters are terrified and they’re putting the heat on state and local officials who are one year closer to an election.
    • Defunding police backfired immediately, especially in communities of color. Early adopters (including Portland and Milwaukee) are frantically backpedaling. Lose-lose for the innocent dead and for all who supported defunding.
    • City governments restricted riot control measures and the use of emerging technologies like facial recognition to track and apprehend individuals suspected of rioting. Rioters leveraged this to riot through Inauguration Day, an epic sign of bad faith and general shittiness. Lose-lose for the entire left.
    • BLM got fat on donations and is now tearing at itself over the money. Local chapters are probably the most able to create change but national ignores their funding requests just as national leaders are reported to be investing in luxury homes. Lose-lose for anyone needing the help that well-funded local chapters might provide.
    • As mentioned above, the pandemic, the riots, and the specter of more gun control under a Biden/Harris administration created millions of new gun owners who have already experienced gun control first-hand and found it terrifying. Lose-lose for the Democrats.
    • Mr. Biden did not instantly unravel the various sweaters that Mr. Trump left behind. That makes it look like Mr. Trump may have gotten a few things right and like Mr. Biden agrees with those things, enraging his followers. The entire left, including the media, now looks whiny and foolish when they object. Another loss for all of them.
    • Progressives got massive attention for their goal of pushing the US to the left harder and faster than Speaker Pelosi and her peers have done. But Speaker Pelosi knows just how hard she can push and she’s a master at doing it so slowly that few people notice. Clashing with her openly highlights her tone-deafness and other flaws in ways that might have gone unnoticed otherwise. Lose-lose there, too, with a hat tip to Rep. Ocasio-Cortez.
    • The progressive agenda cost the Democrats heavily in the 2020 election. They won the White House and enough of Congress to be a thorn in the side of the Republic but it would not have been such a bloodbath had the progressives kept their mouths shut. Another loss there, with a much bigger hat tip to Rep. Ocasio-Cortez.
    • A mob stormed the Capitol, an embarrassment for Mr. Trump and the far right but a massive blow to the left. Almost everyone condemned the attack. The media, bless their hearts, raced to show just how effective facial recognition and other emerging technologies are for tracking and apprehending individuals suspected of rioting. The feds quickly and easily scooped up the attackers, and now seem poised to throw the book at them. People in riot-torn cities noticed. Any politician who restricts the use of this incredibly effective technology against rioters on Main Street will be accused of protecting the elite while the voters suffer. Another loss for the left.

So how does all of this play out?
    • There will be fewer rioters as the pandemic lifts and people return to work.
    • LE use of advanced and emerging technologies to apprehend rioters will return. Other recently-enacted limits on riot control measures will be lifted.
    • Last year’s rioters will get a pass, but some of this year’s rioters will be tried, convicted, and imprisoned.
    • Federal LE will develop the intel to climb higher into antifa and gut it like a fish.
    • Greta Thunberg will be back.

It’s too soon to say how the recent Columbus PD shooting will factor in. I think it will depend on how each side spins the video.

That’s how I see it. Reality is anyone’s guess.

Okie John
    That’s some encouraging thinking. I hope you’re right.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Historically, power grabs usually tend to fail hard. I'm not as worried about the current Democrats seizing absolute power as I am about what unintended consequences are going to result from this batch of incompetents, conmen, demagogues, corporate shills, ivory tower dingbats, useful idiots, and well meaning fools trying to seize absolute power and failing to do so.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    She's jumped on the Covid vaccine inequality bandwagon recently.
    Any port in a storm, I suppose.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    So do I, amigo. So do I.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Any port in a storm, I suppose.

Okie John
    "Starting a pillow company" is apparently not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I'm not as worried about the current Democrats seizing absolute power as I am about what unintended consequences are going to result from this batch of incompetents, conmen, demagogues, corporate shills, ivory tower dingbats, useful idiots, and well meaning fools trying to seize absolute power and failing to do so.
    They won’t win absolute power. They’ll win little fiefdoms and duchies that go largely unnoticed and long-term societal derp will result. THAT bothers me because it’s how they got where they are today.

Okie John

Been a busy weekend. None of this was very near me, but none of it was far away.

http://www.twincities.com/2021/05/02...of-shoot-outs/

I will note that St Paul mayor Melvin Carter's mother is on the City Council, and has voted to defund police here. (Her husband, the retired career SPPD patrolman, is unavailable for comment)
    One of the other anti- police council members, Mitra Jalali, was an aide and protege of former Congressman/National Democratic Committee chairman and current MN State Attorney General Keith Ellison.
    Looks like a multi-year and deep effort to turn things their way.

I sure hope @okie john is correct in his predictions upthread.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

I have spoken of Rev Tim Christopher before. He's one of the more effective vocal opponents to the current fashionable madness affecting the Twin Cities.
    (He's also one of ours; very much a proponent of gun rights and responsibilities)

Skip to 12:10 to get to the political and social aspects.

Last edited by Lex Luthier; 05-31-2021 at 01:20 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

And it looks like either a ruse, a false-flag, or some of the PNW circle-A folks have decided to come stir the pot in Minneapolis. If the latter, they're not even trying to hide it. Some of the interested civilian observers have seen this one out in Seattle, apparently.

https://twitter.com/dandormix/status...54909547597825

Name:  E3KczLkUcAY5uYS.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  52.9 KB

At least its biffin' hot and uncomfortable out for the next few days.

User Tag List