Page 16 of 53 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: St Paul/Minneapolis Riots Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    There were absolutely large scale riots - the Watts riot for one lasted several days. But there was an overwhelming response: "Finally, the Los Angeles Police Department called in the California National Guard to help restore order. Before the uprising was over, more than thirteen thousand guardsmen would be involved."

The Detroit riots were really bad, too, among others. Quite a bit worse, I think, that anything we saw in 2020. But, in general, society's response was to have the police, National Guard, or Federal troops to use whatever force was needed to restore order, and my recollection is that doing so wasn't really controversial. The general public attitude was that you did whatever was needed to restore order.

That's what seems different to me today - mayors, governors, and society at large no longer have that 'restore order at all costs, and promptly' view.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/history...ce-riots-1960s

You can argue which approach is better, but my sense is the approaches were quite different than the recent responses.
    That's how I remember it also. I was in HS when those riots happened in the 60's. The NG and police were actively shooting people.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    That's how I remember it also. I was in HS when those riots happened in the 60's. The NG and police were actively shooting people.
    When I was an FTO I covered for another guy and had a former LAPD Motor as a “boot” for two weeks. It was honestly like being in a two man car. I just had to make sure he knew our policies and ARS numbers. Good times!

Anyways he was in the Rodney King riots. He said the were riding three to four man cars. Each was being issued extra boxes of ammunition before a shift. When they fired their weapons they turned in a card at the end of shift giving location, number of rounds fired, and the direction. SWAT would go to that location later and check it.

It’s probably urban legend but I’m sure most have heard the story of LAPD Officers asking NG troops for cover as they went to check a building and being surprised when they lit it up with suppression fire.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post

It’s probably urban legend but I’m sure most have heard the story of LAPD Officers asking NG troops for cover as they went to check a building and being surprised when they lit it up with suppression fire.
    My cousin was a Nasty Girl who got deployed to the riots, he says it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    And because we live in an unprecedentedly prosperous society, the Entitlement mentality has come to be entrenched in our culture. Too many people just don't grok what was needed to get us to this place, and what is still needed to keep it going.

Instead, there's the belief that some begin Force of Human Progress has made this state Inevitable, and all the old rules and customs are holding back the Inevitable Utopia. They believe that the world owes them a living, and a pretty nice one at that just because.

Soft times make for soft men. Who then make hard times.
    \\

That's profound. I wish I had said that.

I think we have 10 years tops before a major reset. Banks and the federal gov't will fail. Actually the fed gov't has already failed and the BS coming out of DC is just damage control which isn't exclusive to this adm.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-19-2021 at 09:45 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Alan Dershowitz aligned with our thoughts about the pending shit show.

DERSHOWITZ: It's a serious constitutional mistake. The judge is focusing on the wrong issue: The issue of prejudice. What he should be focusing on is that jurors are going to be frightened that if they render an acquittal or they fail to convict on murder there may be violence. Their own homes, their own stores, their own family may be affected.

He may be liberal but he supports the Constitution.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Yay! The hiatus in local carjackings is over!
    3 in the neighborhood over the last two days.

From the St Paul Police & Fire Scanner facebook page:

(The admin is a retired SPPD patrolman)

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 11.34.05 AM.png
Views: 385
Size:  37.7 KB

And from the neighborhood page:

Name:  Hamline-Midway_carjacking_post.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  41.8 KB

A long summer coming, indeed.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

I read this article on the local Fox affiliate's web site; I do have to wonder if we are seeing the start of a preference cascade on the part of business with downtown presence.

(It made me raise an eyebrow; Angel Food Bakery is highly successful, and owned by the daughter of an in-law. She doesn't do anything rashly.)

https://www.fox9.com/news/concern-gr...al-real-estate
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    \\

That's profound. I wish I had said that.

I think we have 10 years tops before a major reset. Banks and the federal gov't will fail. Actually the fed gov't has already failed and the BS coming out of DC is just damage control which isn't exclusive to this adm.
    I am not giving you a hard time- how has the fed govt failed? I know there is significant dysfunction, but I would be interested in your observations.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I do have to wonder if we are seeing the start of a preference cascade on the part of business with downtown presence.
    Sure seems it will be a huge deal, even if just from a symbolic nature, if Target, of all companies, moves out to the burbs.

User Tag List