Page 10 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: St Paul/Minneapolis Riots Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Every appointed Chief is only one OIS away from facing chaos from all sides.
    Based only a few videos of him, I'd not come to any negative conclusions. But, I'm no expert.

https://www.startribune.com/chief-ax...orm/571488382/
    That has been my experience. He lives in the neighborhood, I think, and acquitted himself well after this incident in September 2019

(I attended a community meeting at the Western Precinct headquarters a few days afterward, before the body cam footage was released,
    and the local activists -including our city council rep- were seething with hatred.)
    Chief Axtell stood up for his people, and held firm without shining anyone on.

Mayor Carter also seemed to stand up well for the department in this case, at least in public.
    I'm wondering what the mayor's retired career-patrolman dad is telling him now, or if he's listening.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Email sent, for all the good it will do.
    Uh, wow, got a reply within a few hours, and while it somewhat reads like a form reply, there was clearly at least a little bit of customization based on what I wrote, so apparently my voice was at least heard:

Thank you very much for your note; with all of the critical needs 2020 has brought, I am honored that you took time to contact me and share your thoughts.

In short, I agree: a safe, stable & promising community is the foundation upon which all other aspirations for our city must be built. That understanding is why my administration has worked closely with leaders on our City Council over the past three years to make critical investments that have brought our police department to its largest number of sworn officers in city history, and to make key innovations to help our fire department continue to provide the first rate public services our residents and businesses rightfully expect.

As your note suggests, 2020 has brought a set of unprecedented and unexpected challenges to our city. On top of the global pandemic, this historic economic downturn has left more Saint Paul residents unemployed, unhoused and unfed than ever before in our lifetime. The murder of George Floyd, as well as the compound trauma we endured from people who came to our city to cause damage and destruction only made these challenges more pronounced.

All of these factors work together to create a perfect storm for our budget situation. Unexpected - but unavoidable - expenses are high, as we have incurred significant crisis response costs that are yet to be reimbursed from higher levels of government. And because so many of our residents and businesses are working with less cash on hand than ever, the revenues we rely on have been down across the board: from property taxes to parking meters.

Because every family and business in our city is struggling right now, the 2021 budget proposal I presented to the City Council in August does not increase our citywide property tax levy. Because we are more reliant than ever on our front line city staff - from police and firefighters who protected our families and businesses during civil unrest, to the librarians and rec workers who are supporting students and delivering food to families in need - my budget proposes no layoffs of city staff. And because we have a world of uncertainty before us, my budget proposes to leave our city's emergency reserves - our "rainy day funds" - untouched, to maintain our ability to be flexible. While I am 100% confident these are the right steps for our city right now, they also leave us with a difficult set of decisions to make.

Nearly every single city department has endured a budget reduction from 2020 to 2021, with the sole exception of our Office of Technology & Communications, for obvious reasons. For our police department, that translates to a reduction of approximately $800k, or less than 1% of their annual $100M+ budget. This figure represents the smallest impact - both in terms of dollars and percentages - of our major city departments. The Police Chief will allocate these reductions as he deems appropriate. It is critically important to note that, because our police department is by far our highest funded city department, any scenario that spares that department from participating in our citywide budget reductions would have dire consequences for all other city services. In an era where our state's largest companies and government jurisdictions alike are scaling back and laying off employees, funding our police department next year at more than 99% of their current allocated budget is a critical indication of city leadership's high level of support for their work.

Moving forward, we are committed to building the most comprehensive, coordinated and data-driven approach to public safety that Saint Paul has ever endeavored. This will help us to expand our public safety framework beyond simply responding to emergencies after they happen, to making strategic investments to reduce the number of emergencies we endure in the first place. It will allow us to put in new supports our officers have long requested, including community-based resources to respond to nonviolent, nonemergency 911 calls, leaving our officers available for an immediate response to our most critical needs. Please check out the brief news story at the following link to more about this innovative work: (https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/...ency-response/). Please do reach out if you are interested in being part of this work; we very much need the continued voice and engagement of concerned community members like you, to put Saint Paul on the strongest path forward.

While Saint Paul has not been immune to the global and national crises unfolding before our eyes, I am confident that our team here at the City, and more importantly our broader team across our community, are more than capable of working as a team to meet the moment here in Saint Paul, finding new and innovative ways to care for one another, and continuing to build the safe, prosperous and promising city that our children deserve to inherit from us. I greatly appreciate being able to count you as part of that team.

Sincerely,

-Mayor Melvin Carter

James Lileks gets a bit savage today:

http://lileks.com/bleats/archive/20/1120/113020.html

"Here's what I heard from neighbors:

The bad guys - and they are bad, bad people, and I will leave it for those with more generosity of spirit to consider their possible path to redemption - produced a gun, as you see, and demanded the housekeeper’s purse.

She declined.

The bad man - and he may not be a man, technically; possibly a juvenile, and I will leave it for those deeply concerned with the effect of treating juveniles as adults in the criminal justice system, instead of considering the factors that may have bent this twig as it grew - fired three times into the car’s window.

She wasn’t hit. She started her car and rammed the vehicle that blocked her. Whereupon the bad guys got in the car and fled. Whereupon she gave chase.

Unwise, but impressive."

He has a bit more to say about the Minneapolis city council and it's president, the odious Lisa Bender.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

The recent rise in daylight carjackings in Minneapolis near my employer's corporate headquarters definitely has me worried for the safety of my coworkers who actually have to be physically on site to work. I remain thankful that I'm able to work from home almost 100% of the time. (I've been to the office a total of 3 times since switching to WFH in March.) I'm looking at probably needing to go in one more time in December or January, and then hopefully not for a long time after that. With any luck, it'll be mid-January so it's extra cold out - I figure that must make it at least a little bit safer, carjacking-wise.

So are you guys seeing these carjackings as a regular thing in Minneapolis/St Paul now?

I guess the bad guys are deciding to get while the getting is good, since there’s less chance of the Police being around these days. Jeebus. I mean even Ray Charles could see where this is going to end up.

Y’all stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    James Lileks gets a bit savage today:

http://lileks.com/bleats/archive/20/1120/113020.html
    Very well crafted blog entry.

Too bad that it had to be written, but if one is going to report on events anyways, may as well report with some elan.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Very well crafted blog entry.

Too bad that it had to be written, but if one is going to report on events anyways, may as well report with some elan.
    The guy is a fabulous writer, certainly the best one on the Star Tribune payroll.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 11-30-2020 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    So are you guys seeing these carjackings as a regular thing in Minneapolis/St Paul now?
    I'm not sure how regular it is, but one of my coworkers who is on site daily brought it up as an increasing problem in the area surrounding the corporate headquarters in a meeting this morning, and he's not the type to be paranoid or blow things out of proportion, so combined with news reports, yeah, I'd say things are getting uglier out there.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    The recent rise in daylight carjackings in Minneapolis near my employer's corporate headquarters definitely has me worried for the safety of my coworkers who actually have to be physically on site to work. I remain thankful that I'm able to work from home almost 100% of the time. (I've been to the office a total of 3 times since switching to WFH in March.) I'm looking at probably needing to go in one more time in December or January, and then hopefully not for a long time after that. With any luck, it'll be mid-January so it's extra cold out - I figure that must make it at least a little bit safer, carjacking-wise.
    I'd wager the exact opposite. People are rushed to get in their vehicle when it's freezing and less focused on their surroundings. Getting dark around 4:30pm also favors the predator.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
    I'd wager the exact opposite. People are rushed to get in their vehicle when it's freezing and less focused on their surroundings. Getting dark around 4:30pm also favors the predator.
    That's the downside, yeah. -15 degrees F *before* the windchill limits people's desire to be outside, and I have to believe that includes the criminals.

User Tag List