Page 42 of 53 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: St Paul/Minneapolis Riots Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    But what happens when your address is the address on record for a scumbag? Even if you have kicked them out months (or even years) before, and they're still using your address?
    In the case of an arrest warrant that'd usually be a knock and talk, unless we have surveillance showing you in the place which gives us PC to enter.

News is still reporting this as the service of a search warrant, which is a different case. The SW is for that address for a reason, which a judge agreed to. We don't know what the reason is yet, so it's impossible to guess whether "more care should have been taken", as several people are assuming is the case.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

It's interesting that as soon as the statement "he had a ccw" was put out, a bunch of folks began to self-identify with him on some level. "That could have been me!!" Really? You bunk with shady people, and keep a gun under the blankets with you?
    Even though I would bet a PF dollar that nobody on this forum has ever met the deceased.
    Believing that having a CCW lets you walk among the sainted is akin to every troop in uniform is an angel and hero. Having spent some time in Military LE, um, no.

I don't know the deceased, but I do glean from the video and audio that he was shot because he didn't follow commands and tried to point a pistol at the cops.
    Not because he had a ccw. Not because he was Black. Because he pointed a gun at the cops.
    At this point, about all you can do is maybe take exception to it being a no-knock. Was it really necessary? That's a question for the MNPD admin to answer. Good luck MNPD!

Who am I trying to kid?
    It's still gonna burn and I'm sure another attempt at defunding the police will soon be upon the city.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The info was the apt complex in general and that specific apt were known trouble locations.
    Have a buddy who's a Minneapolis PD swing shift sergeant in that area. Claims that building doesn't generate a ton of calls. Says it was renovated and mostly occupied by hipster types. Here's where it happened: https://www.boleroflatsipgliving.com/

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Our family has been there, done that with our no account pothead of a cousin. It's a hard thing to cut off and write off family, even if they take advantage of you time and time again.

But what happens when your address is the address on record for a scumbag? Even if you have kicked them out months (or even years) before, and they're still using your address?
    It’s not uncommon. Some of that is unavoidable and some as a matter of due diligence. How recent are the prior incidents? Are they sporadic or constant? Are the same people living at that location?

Also severity is a factor. Family arguments and petty theft are not likely to make neighbors move out.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
    Have a buddy who's a Minneapolis PD swing shift sergeant in that area. Claims that building doesn't generate a ton of calls. Says it was renovated and mostly occupied by hipster types. Here's where it happened: https://www.boleroflatsipgliving.com/
    How is the neighborhood in general?

When I hear renovated building and hipster types I’m thinking what I’ve come to know is “urban pioneers” I.e. hipsters that are early moving into a rough neighborhood in the process of “gentrification.” It generates some very interesting mixes.

Site Supporter
    @Erick Gelhaus re-posted this in LE UOF thread. It is a recent (January 2022) OIS from Las Vegas with very similar circumstances to the Minneapolis shooting.

LVMPD’s swat executed a search warrant on an apartment in relation to a homicide investigation. In this instance they did a knock and announce and a mechanical breach. They encountered a 19 year old “couch surfer” with no prior felony record who was unrelated to the original homicide case. The couch surfer opened fire on the officers, shooting two officers before being shot and killed by LVMPD.

Something I've noticed with this and several similar instances is that the professionals, understandably, want to explain that a lawful process was followed. There was a search warrant, it was the right address, a no-knock was approved by a judge, he had a gun, or whatever the facts turn out to be.

I think there's a failure to wrest with the fact that the general public really only cares about the outcome. I think it's pretty understandable; nobody cares that pilots properly followed the engine-out checklist if the plane crashes.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    Something I've noticed with this and several similar instances is that the professionals, understandably, want to explain that a lawful process was followed. There was a search warrant, it was the right address, a no-knock was approved by a judge, he had a gun, or whatever the facts turn out to be.

I think there's a failure to wrest with the fact the the general public really only cares about the outcome. I think it's pretty understandable; nobody cares that pilots properly followed the engine-out checklist if the plane crashes.
    Fair enough but calling the outcome a “plane crash” is premature.

You have people making the assumption that because the deceased had a carry permit he is a “good guy” and /or “ just like me” and therefore it was a “bad shoot” and spinning that as the “poetic narrative” Without factual basis.

Whether or not the deceased was an unfortunate victim of circumstances or something else has yet to be determined.

How is the neighborhood in general?

When I hear renovated building and hipster types I’m thinking what I’ve come to know is “urban pioneers” I.e. hipsters that are early moving into a rough neighborhood in the process of “gentrification.” It generates some very interesting mixes.
    It's across the street from Orchestra Hall, and some extended family of mine owns a multi-million dollar destination restaurant down the street.
    In before times, it was a decent part of downtown Minneapolis.

Here's the entrance in Google street view: https://www.google.com/maps/place/11...!1BCgIgARICCAI
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Fair enough but calling the outcome a “plane crash” is premature.

You have people making the assumption that because the deceased had a carry permit he is a “good guy” and /or “ just like me” and therefore it was a “bad shoot” and spinning that as the “poetic narrative” Without factual basis.

Whether or not the deceased was an unfortunate victim of circumstances or something else has yet to be determined.
    Fair.

Cynically, I'd say that past experience suggests that if the decedent had an unpaid parking ticket, that information would be in the media by now. But maybe that's too cynical.

User Tag List