Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All Things PCC Competition Thread

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    The Ruger has been reliable, but the ergos are just different when you're used to running an AR. I doubt if I'll use it much in competition
    A friend came to the same conclusion. He shot a Ruger because his AR was not reliable. After he got the AR sorted out, he stayed with it because it works just like the Army taught him.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I was at a steel match Sunday, squared with a buddy, who was a top 20 finisher at 2019 PCC Nationals. He shoots a custom AR9. Stage 1, he had a big malfunction. Stage 4, most of the way through the stage, his firing pin broke. He is meticulous about his gear.
    Did he have a spare? This reminds me I should probably start gathering spares for my pcc.

meant to post something after my last match...

Shot Acton Steel at OK Corral on 8/23 and didn't do too bad
    https://practiscore.com/results/new/115658

Couple of things:
    1) I almost got dinged for breaking the 180. Too much tactical I guess, keeping both hands on the gun. RO suggested going one-handed with the hand on pistol grip and pointing down-range when running right to left (right handed shooter)

2) Too much talking from the various sources. One thing I *like* about these kinds of matches is figuring out my approach on my own. From time to time I've even come up with an approach that's allowed me to win a stage based almost entirely on my unconventional approach. But in both squads I was in there were people laying out the "best" way to shoot every. single. stage. So annoying. I gotta figure out a way to politely tell these people to STFU.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    But in both squads I was in there were people laying out the "best" way to shoot every. single. stage. So annoying. I gotta figure out a way to politely tell these people to STFU.
    Power off your electronic ear pro during walkthrough and you'll be golden, no?

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Power off your electronic ear pro during walkthrough and you'll be golden, no?
    haha that's not a bad start!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Shot another action steel match yesterday with my PCC. Due to ammo shortages I was shooting a mixed bag, and suffered a lot of malfunctions.

The gun seems to prefer lighter ammo, as the old Blazer I’ve been shooting seems to run pretty much 100%. I’m not absolutely certain on the grainage of that ammo but I think it’s 115.

Shooting various 147 grain is hit or miss, typically resulting in at least one malfunction per mag on average. The malfunction seems to be a kind of a double feed but I’m in the middle of a stage and not trying to diagnose.

I also shot a fair amount of some old surplus Gold Dot I’ve had for 5, maybe 10, years. When it ran it ran well, but the hollow points hung up on the breachface, often more than once per mag.

In other news, I saw my first other PCC shooter that was younger and fitter than me. I am beginning to get that this is the key to strong PCC performance, as the relative ease of shooting the long gun with red dot (and in his case a muzzle brake to boot) at these distances reduces the import of marksmanship (not that it doesn’t matter, just that it’s easier to get reliable hits at speed) and increases the value of body speed (target transitions & movement between positions, primarily). I’ll assume that at a very high level marksmanship may again come into play, but for us dad bod suburban hobby shooters it appears to me that hits in PCC are almost a given and body speed is the key to moving up the ranks.

If I can get the gun running reliably, perhaps I can start to apply that lesson.

User Tag List