Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Central planning in action at Three Gorges Dam

Not about the collapse but some info about the dam. It may have cost up to 37 billion dollars.

https://interestingengineering.com/1...arths-rotation

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3973169

Consider it is a Taiwan source. They link to a quick two minute video showing where the path of water would potentially travel if there was a collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I could argue that a nation with ICBMs and various other nukes turning into a feudal state controlled by warlords may not be the best thing ever for humanity.
    It may not be, there’s no arguing that. But, if the Three Gorges collapses, And a free for all for power ensues, that just might happen.

This appears to be a pretty good analysis of what would happen if the dam broke.

https://twitter.com/man_integrated/s...36332883050498

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    This appears to be a pretty good analysis of what would happen if the dam broke.

https://twitter.com/man_integrated/s...36332883050498
    I read this a couple days ago. I wonder what the risks to the dam would be if an upstream collapse or mudslide would have. Even with water levels below the max currently, a the force behind a wave of water many meters high isn’t the same as near-static water levels.

Second, it might make sense to purchase hard goods needed for the next few months now in the off chance something catastrophic happens due to the supply chain interruptions

China Food Crisis? Rising Domestic Prices And Large Import Purchases Send A Signal

"Above average rainfall and rising floodwaters are not just threatening to compromise China’s gargantuan Three Gorges Dam; rain and flooding are already disrupting rice, wheat and other crop production in the provinces all along the entire Yangtze River."
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I was looking at the dam on Google maps and Earth today, and noticed that the street grid seems to be offset something like 2000 ft, putting roads in the reservoir and river. My dad was looking at it more extensively, and said it seems to be that way in a lot of China.

Could be Google just being sloppy.

But it occurred to me that it could be Google working with the CCP to make the Earth and Maps features virtually useless when accessed from outside the country, thereby forcing those inside the country to get their Google geography through "responsible" channels. In some areas, and around the edges of stuff, you can kinda figure out the offset, but in a city area, the offset would basically make the system nearly useless.

Anyone have insight?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I was looking at the dam on Google maps and Earth today, and noticed that the street grid seems to be offset something like 2000 ft, putting roads in the reservoir and river. My dad was looking at it more extensively, and said it seems to be that way in a lot of China.

Could be Google just being sloppy.

But it occurred to me that it could be Google working with the CCP to make the Earth and Maps features virtually useless when accessed from outside the country, thereby forcing those inside the country to get their Google geography through "responsible" channels. In some areas, and around the edges of stuff, you can kinda figure out the offset, but in a city area, the offset would basically make the system nearly useless.

Anyone have insight?
    China doesn't work with Google. Google apps(Play Store, Docs, Gmail, etc) are banned in China by what is affectionately known as the Great Firewall. Google isn't willing to selectively censor content as the CCP demands.

All of China is messed up on Google maps. I regularly record my runs on a Suunto watch while over there and their road maps are accurate but aerial overlays are not. Apparently China doesn't like to provide that data to mere peasants.

Authoritarians gonna authoritate.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    It's Google doing that, but Google doing that because Chinese law requires them to do that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restri..._data_in_China

Not sure if posted, but I ran across this simulation video describing the effects of a collapse. Purported to originate from China, author unknown:

User Tag List