Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How light is "too light" for a carry gun trigger?

For those of you who wanted some cases where light triggers worked to the detriment of the officer or CCW, this pod-cast has them.

Now I know some are going to come back and say hey these cases involve revolvers and I carry an semi auto. For those I ask isn't the single action of a revolver substantially the same as a 3.5 crisp single action auto. If you are truthful with yourselves then you will see that what happened in these cases can just as easily happen with an auto as well.

http://proarmspodcast.com/2009/04/12...ight-triggers/
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by hombre gris View Post
    I'm actually considering the "ToddG Special". I'm just not in quite a big of a hurry to change things after reading this as I was before.
    As Todd notes in his post that the length of the pull does more to prevent negligent discharges than the weight. Now I've never had the privilege of trying his variation, but being an OLD revolver hand I could see the benefit of a longer pull at 6.5 pounds. The fact that it is a little heavier than factory is a help as well.

I've rethought my position on my M&P 45 as well. While I wouldn't have installed the APEX goodies I'm now thinking that even stock may be to short for CCW. If I had the same resistance all the way through the pull it may be better. Something like Glock's NY 1 or 2 spring that gives it a revolver like pull.

At work all we have is DA only revolvers (why revolver is for another thread), even our trainers are DA only. So from the git go the students learn to deal with the longer trigger pull. We have had such good results the local PD's won't shoot against us any more. I have had only 1 person in the last 20 year I wasn't able to get to qualify. He's a retired NY corrections officer. He gets someone to qualify him on the NJ state course for his retired LEO permit but he can't make my companies standards.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    How do you look a student in the eye and say "for litigation reasons you need to learn to shoot a moderately crappy trigger"?

Gringop
    Is 'heavy(ish)' necessarily synonymous with 'crappy', though? I'd think that whether a trigger is heavy or light to be a separate issue from whether it's good or bad... You can lighten springs all you want, but if the trigger pull isn't smooth and consistent, with a clean break, it's still bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Is 'heavy(ish)' necessarily synonymous with 'crappy', though? I'd think that whether a trigger is heavy or light to be a separate issue from whether it's good or bad... You can lighten springs all you want, but if the trigger pull isn't smooth and consistent, with a clean break, it's still bad.
    I agree.

I don't know where I first heard it, but I have been told several times by very good shooters that "A really light trigger is a crutch for people who can't shoot".

Since, for me, the handgun is a threat management tool first and foremost, and a range toy rather secondary, I like a trigger that I can defend in court if need be. I also like a trigger that doesn't make me worry when I am cold, wet, wearing gloves, etc.
    I don't mean to sound dramatic, but in 24 years on the road, mostly night shift, 18 of which have been as a part time SWAT dude, I have made quite literally a couple thousand or so felony arrests. Since we are all children of our experience, mine says on a daily basis that when I go to work I might have to shoot somebody that very day, then end up in court off-and-on for the next 3-5 years.
    I like to have my ducks in a row.

Thursday night I was at a local IDPA match. Afterwards some of us were talking about guns. Several of the guys are running Glocks, but have parts and mods to lighten the trigger, take out pre-travel, over travel, etc. They seem to be looking for a bullseye 1911 set-up "glass rod" trigger break.

I know people game stuff, but I was once again stunned that folks would go that far out from reality to try and make a few more points at a match. I have been shooting my duty G17 and off-duty G19, both with all stock parts, standard connector and NY1 spring, from either my duty holster or my actual IWB holster under a T-shirt as I carry in the real world, and I haven't been doing too bad at all for a new guy.

I think shooting a G34 "rooney gun" during practice and matches, then carrying a pocket DAO .380 for actual street carry, leaves one set up for bad things to happen. Same-same if they actually get into a shooting with the 2 1/2lb trigger Glock.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 03-27-2011 at 06:21 PM.

After reading this thread a few times, I'm reluctant to do anything to my glock trigger besides shoot the bejeezus outta it.

What I would like is to shoot a glock with a similar 4.5-5.5lb trigger with a better feel to it to see and learn what the difference is. Anyone have one in SE PA?

After trying various setups on my GLOCK's if gone back to the standard connector and spring set up. Gives me a good enough break with a better reset than the 2kg connector and a standard spring.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

User Tag List