Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How light is "too light" for a carry gun trigger?

How light is "too light" for a carry gun trigger?

This is kind of a spin-off from the trigger discussion in the M&P thread.

What is the lower limit, if you will, of weight for a trigger on a carry gun, in your estimation?

I've taken to carrying my Glock 19 these days. I've been shooting a G34 in IDPA for a while now, and it just makes sense to me to have the same manual of arms for both my carry gun and the game gun.

Both of my pistols have aftermarket 3.5 pound connectors in them, using the stock springs. From what I've read (and I might be incorrect), the resulting pull is probably closer to 4.5 pounds than it is 3.5 pounds.

Personally, I feel the trigger on both of my Glocks is fine for carry, but I am reconsidering the issue in light (pardon the pun) of the discussion in the M&P thread.

Matt

Site Supporter
    My lower limit is 5 - 5.5#.

I think in the 1911 class last summer LAV said, "Real world triggers start at 4#."

Can't argue with that.

Anything less than what it comes stock off the shelf with is too light, IMHO.

I've got a similar setup to you, g23 and g35. I tried a scherer #3.5 in my g23 and didnt care for the sponge like reset so I went back to stock. I like the OEM "-" connector in my g35 though. I dont think that would be too light to carry.

We are diminished
    I prefer a trigger right around the 5-6# mark, at least for the first shot. I've got less heartburn with the SA pull on a DA/SA gun being light because by the time I've got that to deal with, I've clearly already purposely fired one round.

Also, whenever possible, I prefer resistance during the take up rather than just stacking it all at the break. This does two things for me. First, it makes for more of a rolling trigger stroke than a "glass rod break," so less chance of anticipating the shot. Second, it provides instant tactile feedback from the moment I start moving the trigger... purposely or inadvertently. Heavier take up is usually achieved by way of a heavier trigger return spring which also tends to result in faster trigger reset, which is a nice bonus.

Nothing less that approximately 5 lbs.

The G19's with OEM "-", M&P45's w/ Apex Duty Kit, and the 1911's I used to carry all have measured pulls above that limit.

I´ve carried a G23 for a couple of years with a 3.5 trigger without any problems or feeling unsafe. After an article re AIWB last year I start overthinking this. Since 6 months I run a 3.5/NY1 combination in all of my Glocks and never looking back.

A couple of weeks ago, I had a chance to fire one of my friends Glock with the 3.5 trigger. I was really shocked, how light this trigger was and that I carried this less saver setup for years.
    My conclusion is, every trigger in a striker fire gun should be around 5-6.
    Frank B
    "You are not paid for what you do, you are paid for what you may have to do, and when that time comes, you will be highly underpaid."

I'm carrying this stuff over from this thread http://pistol-forum.com/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=316

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    You should be making and re-making the threat judgment up until the moment you (a) move your vision to the front sight or (b) break the shot if you are target focused.
    I have actually never thought of it like that. many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    It's also worth noting that under the influence of adrenaline and facing life-or-death peril it's possible to pull a very light trigger without even realizing it.
    indeed. I bet one could easily do this with a 12# Beretta DA trigger as well. hopefully the shooter is not prepping the trigger (or even has their finger anywhere near it) before it looks damn likely its shootin time. seems like a training issue, mostly.

Why would you think that? The standard trigger is going to require more than half again as much pressure to fire. Will it prevent every accident and mistake? No. But it will prevent more than the even-lighter trigger.
    we are talking trigger weight, which to me is only one factor. like talking about how a car can accelerate but only talking about its engine displacement.

though my triggers are indeed lightened, the length of the pull is the same. it is still a Glock DAO pull, just lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Around here there is a minimum measured 5 lbs trigger release weight required on any handgun, be it 1911, Glock, HK, M&P, Sig, etc...
    this I think can illustrate my point.

a Glock has no manual safety. this does not bother people, as the pull (for this example) is about 5# and relatively long and double action-ish.

seems by the above logic, the 1911 would not need manual safety or grip safety, as long as it has a 5# or greater trigger. the thinking being the weight of the 5# pull will save you from any and all unpleasantness.

but if someone came here and said they carry their 1911 hot, with a 5# trigger, cocked, but unlocked (safety off) and with the grip safety disabled as well, and said they don't need those safeties because it has a 5# trigger pull, you all would ask them to seek professional help as soon as possible. and I would join you. because being a single action 1911, even though its a 5# pull, the length of pull is very very short as compared to a glock.

however my lightened carry glock still has the same long glock pull. yes it is lighter. I do not think its radically less safe.

I don't know if that little analogy holds any value at all, or if you're all stupider for reading it. my apologies if its the latter.

If the difference between a 5.5 and 3.5 trigger is the difference between a clean miss and an effective hit, you need to work on trigger control.
    this of course is the crux of the issue for me.

Relying on a trigger setup that even the gun manufacturer says should only be used in competition guns is not the answer IMHO.
    surely the manufacturer is playing the usual LOL-yer liability game.

I am glad you brought up the competition thing though. while I do conceal carry and enjoy doing so and having the right to do so, my life situation sadly prohibits me from doing so much of I time. though I live in Virginia, I work in DC (strike 1) and am in the military and thus work on a military base (strike 2)

my main goal with becoming a better pistol shooter rests mostly on the competition side of things. I'm comparatively in my infancy, but am trying to be more active in IDPA and USPSA, and every time I do a match its the best of times.

there are alot of crazy after-market glock triggers out there. crazy light and crazy short. I have avoided them as when I am actually able to conceal carry I want some commonality between my FS competition gun that I practice with most and my carry gun. the way I have them set up, they are very close, and I think its a good system for me.

please tell me if any of this sounds retarded. do not worry, I am not teaching anyone. I realize these are somewhat unconventional ideas, but they are my own, and are always changing.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    however my lightened carry glock still has the same long glock pull. yes it is lighter. I do not think its radically less safe
    I may be in minority here, but I don't find Glock's trigger pull particularly long. The initial take-up, that comprises most of trigger travel, requires very little pressure and then from break point it is a very short distance. I personally feel that Glocks have a narrowest margin of safety among popular and widely accepted handguns. I carry mine with "-" OEM connector, trigger pull of 5.25 lbs, but the primary reason for connector is the feel, not weight.
    Overall, I prefer 5-5.5 lbs on my trigger; with 1911 I am OK with 4.5 but not lower.

User Tag List