Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sweat/Rust Solutions in a 92?

I have lived in the humid southeastern USA for the past twenty-five years. I always wear a cotton T-shirt between between the gun and me. I find that not only does the gun stay drier, I stay cooler. Yesterday it was about 88 degrees and 60% humidity when I started some auto maintenance and yard work. When I finished, it was 92 and 56% per my wife's weather station. I wore my G17.3 in a Sparks VM-2 between a polo and T-shirt. Gun was mostly dry, but I had sweat through my underwear and pants. The T-shirt absorbed much of that moisture.

As for protecting the pistol, a hard paste wax like Johnson's or Renaissance Wax will do the trick as long as the surface is polished. Matte surfaces tend to get uneven wax distribution whereas even coverage is simple with a polished surface. This is the low-cost way and works for up to a few months, depending upon how hard the pistol is used. Another method is to use something like G96 or a Sentry Tuf Cloth to provide some protection from sweat. The higher cost method is a corrosion-resistant finish like NP3.

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    It was 90 and dry those two days.
    We don't know what that means in FLA. It's a cool morning here: 90F, 67% humidity, feels like temp of 104F. If I had to work outdoors and carry a gun, I'd use this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HG1GG6S...osi&th=1&psc=1

For you, it seems like Inox or NP3 and a lot of attention are the best solution.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    I'm thinking about carrying my Sig P245 on a hike out in the hills of Eastern KY this weekend. Last time I took my P245 on a summer hike, it rusted a little. Mainly on the hammer and one small spot on the slide. I'm thinking if I oil it before I go, then apply a little oil after sweating on it... it'll be okay. It was 100 degrees yesterday, here in the Cincinnati area.

I know carbon slide Sigs are not known for their rust resistance. But it carries well, I shoot it well and .45 is probably better for black bears than 9mm.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 07-27-2020 at 10:36 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    It's counter-intuitive, but in hot weather (95% of the year) I wear a t-shirt under a button or golf shirt. Unless I'm soaked, my pistol stays pretty dry.
    This

Works pretty well in Florida with my 1911's. They also get a wipe down when I take them off.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

In my humble experience, you have three choices -

1. Regular preventative maintenance with a product like Corrosion-X or Break-Free CLP.
    2. Permanent coatings like NP3 or Black-T.
    3. Switch to a pistol like a Glock or HK USP that have a more robust finish and a polymer frame.

Early 92 rusted easier, and use good rust preventatives

I have one early 92 I carry a lot, a Police surplus piece, and the barrel it came with (blued) rusted if I looked at it. When I want my pants to not fall down, I believe in suspenders and belt. The absolute best rust preventative I know of is LPS3, which is a wax, and not a lubricant. My impression of Florida when I visit a childhood friend is that the humidity is lower under water. I replaced the barrel with a stainless one, NP3'd the rest of it, oiled what I had to, LPS3'd the rest of it, and no further problems in Florida.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the recommendation. Two sets of Hogue screws ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Some of the abuse my 92s take:

One major suggestion I would make, is to look for the hogue stainless steel grip screws. I suggest hogue because they're flat head. https://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Beretta...5792422&sr=8-2 That magical link should take you to the correct item, and hopefully help PF make a little off the referral. Those screws hold up far better than the standard grip screws that come on Berettas. They just dont rust as fast.

Site Supporter
    I have had success with the base layer t-shirt and weekly application of Marine Tuff-Glide to the parts of the pistol that can rust.

My m66 is now my sweat on gun but before that I carried a glock in and around salt water. It still rusted but just a little.

Probably the best reason for a glock

My SPEC0190A NP3 96G Centurion was originally built for Palm Beach PD in 1999 & it had no rust anywhere when I got it. I keep a PO9618DNPO NP3 96D in a cheap nylon holster in my bathroom. It was originally NP3 coated in 1992 for Ohio Highway Patrol. It also shows no rust anywhere.

User Tag List