Thread: safety for steel cases

safety for steel cases

While we all try our best to sort out the steel and aluminum cases one could slip by. I have taped some small but strong magnets to my case feed drop tube on the Dillion case feed, if a steel case gets thru it will stop at the magnet. I placed the magnet close to the top so the weight of the other cases would not push the steel past the magnet. Now if someone would just come up with an aluminum magnet...

Any way to put it at the bottom where it pops out so that the magnet just sucks the steel case away from where it would feed into the shell plate and lets the next one fall immediately to replace it? Seems like that would be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Any way to put it at the bottom where it pops out so that the magnet just sucks the steel case away from where it would feed into the shell plate and lets the next one fall immediately to replace it? Seems like that would be even better.
    You my friend have put me back to the drawing board, great idea i will see what comes up and let you know.
    After checking how the Dillion drops the case from the feeder it would not work, not with a simply fix that is.
    Last edited by cracker; 07-26-2020 at 01:26 PM. Reason: looked into it

Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    You my friend have put me back to the drawing board, great idea i will see what comes up and let you know.
    After checking how the Dillion drops the case from the feeder it would not work, not with a simply fix that is.
    Ah, too bad, I thought it was a potentially slick idea. I don't have a casefeeder on my Hornady press, but I *think* it would be possible at bare minimum to suck steel cases out of the path they'd have to travel to get into the shell plate on a Hornady. (It might result in an empty spot in the shell plate as things cycle around, but that's better than running steel through, at least.) What about the Dillon system prevents it?

with the case feeder the case gets dropped into a track that won't allow the case to be removed as it gets pushed into the shell holder...

Why not just sort with a magnet ahead of time, before the brass hits the casefeeder?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    with the case feeder the case gets dropped into a track that won't allow the case to be removed as it gets pushed into the shell holder...
    Yeah, I googled up some photos and I think I get it - it looks like there's very little distance between where the case gets dropped and where it gets pushed into the shell plate. The Hornady has a v-shaped pusher that the cases get dropped in front of which operates along a track with no guides which is probably 2 or 3 inches long, such that I think you could at least make the magnet pull the case off the track. Like I said, it would result in an empty spot in the shell plate, but that's better than loading a steel case. If I ever buy a casefeeder for mine, I'll have to try to set it up.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Why not just sort with a magnet ahead of time, before the brass hits the casefeeder?
    It’s a good rule of thumb that any sorting task finds 80% of the defects.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    My assumption was that cracker was trying to catch any he missed in that process, which is presumably not perfect. I try to sort out any of the "stepped" 9mm like FM, Ammoload, etc. headstamps and pitch them before they get anywhere near my press, but inevitably the occasional one makes it through and I find it as I'm loading.

I do my best at sorting before throwing them in the case feeder, I do use a magnet to sort before. My safety magnets have not found a steel case yet, its there for the day I do miss one.

User Tag List