Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Watch guys. Any clue what this is worth?

I'm pleasantly surprised. Like I said I'm not a watch guy. Thanks for the info.

We just had some work done on the house. In the process of moving furniture and cleaning out drawers I picked up the Rolex. I found the sticker in an other dresser. The box was in the basement. I put everything together and for lack of a better place to put it, I put it in the gun safe. Now reading what it could be worth the safe sounds like a better place than catchall box on top of a wardrobe with a bunch of tie tacks, collar stays and nick knacks.

After watching the video linked above I believe my watch "identifies as" a:

Near the end of the 5513 run. 10:59 in the video.

Maxi Dial (Mark 3) nickname "The Lollipop"

Feet First
    Last edited by JohnO; 07-26-2020 at 10:21 AM.

Site Supporter
    Late to the party/Edge of my lane. Everything the other guys said!

I strongly suspect that you could get north of 10K as it sits right now.

The patina on the original dial should never be messed with.

It may have extra value to a collector who needs that vintage to round out a collection

It may have extra value to someone because it is a birth year/milestone year for someone who is now in a prime Rolex buying age range 35-55

I would have it "priced" buy a couple of the Sub gurus mentioned and go from there.

Let us know what they say.

Be safe and well.

PS-If it has not been specially scheduled on an insurance policy, do that tomorrow for at least the value of a new sub which is at least 13k

https://www.authenticwatches.com/rol...RoCMzgQAvD_BwE

Another place to look for current prices on pre-owned watches is WatchRecon.com
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    PS-If it has not been specially scheduled on an insurance policy, do that tomorrow for at least the value of a new sub which is at least 13k

https://www.authenticwatches.com/rol...RoCMzgQAvD_BwE
    Getting it insured is good advice. Most insurance companies require an appraisal from a qualified professional and not just replacement cost for the current model. As an example, I have two references Rolex (16238 and 5440/8) no longer makes on a rider. Both had to be appraised by a vintage dealer before being added to the rider.

Before COVID-19, the vintage (loosely defined and four-digit and five-digit references) Rolex market was extremely hot. When I turned fifty in 2017, my wife bought me a 2009-vintage 18K/SS Yacht-Master, which is sort of a dressier Submariner. The selling price for the same model has doubled in three years. Nothing special about that model; all of the older Rolex references have steadily appreciated. Stainless steel "Professional" (Submariner/Sea Dweller/GMT-Master/Sky-Dweller/Yacht-Master/Daytona/Explorer/Milgauss) references have really appreciated as Rolex is deliberately not meeting the heightened demand that China and India have. Many dealers had been unable to get deliveries of these models from Rolex even with Rolex reducing the number of dealers. And that was before COVID-19.

And you have both vintage and stainless. In a Submariner. Demand is insane.

HQMilton sells lots of these types. Here’s an ‘81 with NO box and papers for 19k

https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...pop-dial-A3582

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    HQMilton sells lots of these types. Here’s an ‘81 with NO box and papers for 19k

https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...pop-dial-A3582
    Could probably get a case of 9x19 for that...

Awesome find OP. Even more awesome that the PF'ers have a way to go about identifying and selling it intelligently. I swear, there's folks here with some of the most interesting knowledge that isn't even gun relates. [emoji23]

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Could probably get a case of 9x19 for that...

Awesome find OP. Even more awesome that the PF'ers have a way to go about identifying and selling it intelligently. I swear, there's folks here with some of the most interesting knowledge that isn't even gun relates. [emoji23]

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    There’s bias here on my part but there seems to be a strong overlap in the Venn diagram for mechanical watch / gun / motorcycle owners in my experience.
    Last edited by Xrslug; 07-26-2020 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    The downside to having a vintage piece worth $30-40k is finding a guy who is ready to drop the cash when you’re ready to sell, in a geographic location that’s convenient and safe for such a transaction.
    My experience is a $40k transaction always goes way smoother than a $5k transaction.
    Mainly because the guy dropping $40k has usually done it before, multiple times.
    The guy who barely scraped together $5k is almost always a pain in the ass to deal with.
    The $40k guy never asks if you'll take payments or hold it until next payday.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    My experience is a $40k transaction always goes way smoother than a $5k transaction.
    Mainly because the guy dropping $40k has usually done it before, multiple times.
    The guy who barely scraped together $5k is almost always a pain in the ass to deal with.
    The $40k guy never asks if you'll take payments or hold it until next payday.
    Dope deals were the same way when I worked dope. A big multi kilo deal, no problems. Single kilo deal, watch out.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Xrslug View Post
    There’s bias here on my part but there seems to be a strong overlap in the Venn diagram for mechanical watch / gun / motorcycle owners in my experience.
    I noticed this especially when I owned a European branded motorcycle store. Customers wold routinely ask me to trade cool guns or watches for a motorcycle or part of. It was kinda cool, got to look at a bunch of cool guns and watches. And even took some in trade

User Tag List